Quantcast

Dr Phill Takes on the Chubby Chaser

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

thisgirl

watch it wiggle
Last week Dr Phil (Dr FOOL- as my guy likes to call him) had a self proclamed "chubby chaser" on his show. I have to say, the first half of the show made me laugh, because the husband was really funny, and just sounded like he was in love with his wife. There were a couple of jabs made, and I think that his wife was under the impression that if she lost weight her husband wouldn't find her very attractive and would leave her. Resolution: husband was insecure, but loved his wife, (and preferred a more robust figure on a woman) but wouldn't leave his wife. Dr Phil suggested that they lose weight together (for health reasons)... blah blah blah *having said that-- yes, I do think that there can be health risks involved-- I am not passing that off... just avoiding it for obvious reasons...

Last half of the show: not so nice and sweet: Brother hates his brother's dates-- harasses them with hateful names, and believes all heafty honeys to be "stinky, lazy, sloppy, and bad people" Personally, I felt bad watching it, because I know that a lot of people think this way. My own (former) best friend and her husband are haters.. and name tossers... and just plain TOSSERs if you ask me.... but I digress....
I don't know why I even watched it, even my boyfriend said "DONT WATCH IT!" but-- i am a glutton for punishment. And, even though my bf is unbelievably awesome, supportive, and a luva of the chub, I still feel bad about my bod after watching this crap....

So the question is: After watching this--- how do you feel? (and I know the initial response is DONT WATCH IT.... but aside from that... What do YOU feel after watching this.. what does it make you want to do--react or retreat?
-Melli

Pink

I watched the show as well. It didn't make me feel bad about myself because I am not lazy or sloppy, and I smell darn good! lol Not to take your feelings lightly at all but why let one ignorant ass on tv make you feel bad about yourself? You know he was spouting a load of garbage and he made himself look really dumb on national television with his big mouth. There are jerks out there yes but they can not make me feel bad because I don't believe those things to be true about fat people.
I actually think shows like this can be positive (if they don't develop into fat-bashing fests) Dr. Phil called him out on his bad behavior and I think people might look at there own feelings on fat in a different way after watching. Maybe for the good.:)

MadeFA

Forgive me for changing your question around to do this, "How do you feel after watching Dr. Phil" not just this episode... but every one, I feel like I have lost as many brain cells as I do when I sniff sharpie markers, except, with a lot less of the fun.

Dr. Fool is dead on!

I can buy into the health thing, if people have to lose weight for health reasons, do it. I do not buy into the whole, "I want my gf/bf fat for security reasons", I do not think that happens as often as these TV doctors like to say it does. I guess I am just so against talk-show TV that this whole thing burns me lol :doh:

thisgirl

watch it wiggle
Pink: you are absolutely right, I shouldn't let what others think (or rather what I think others think of me) effect me. That's an issue that I am working on daily. Not to dive deep into this-- but simply put, it's mainly because I struggle to be comfortable in my own skin (again-- working hard on that). I didn't even realize, until this year, that there was a group of people appreciated larger women... and Dimensions was a site that someone suggested I look at. I am kind of hoping that reading all the good thoughts and funny comments will dull my sensitivity to it all and help me "get good" with myself. errrr.. I feel like I have just spilled my guts, something of which I don't do often, nor am I particularly fond of doing.

Having said all that, I guess I am the only the one that feels bad after watching the jerky guy..... though, I agree-- he did make himself look like a total Arse on national TV. Unfortunately, I am of the opinion that there are far more arses than there are accepting, adoring FAs. (just my observation)

herin

wait...what?
Well you are in the right place for it! Dimensions has really helped me with my self esteem as far as physicality goes. I'm at a point in my life where while I do realize there are alot of jack-holes in the world, why would I care what a jack-hole thinks of me? It is enough for me to know that I possess awesomeness in such abundance that I am at a high risk of awesomeness overload.

Buffie

KittyBuffieKat
I missed it because I didn't know it had aired until HotBBWnKC called and told me about it. But I'm looking for it in re-runs and plan to TiVo it. Does Dr. Pompous even get remotely close to admitting it's as normal to be attracted to big people as it is to tall people or thin people? An ass for every seat, y'know.

Just curious.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
Hi thisgirl,

I just thought I'd let you know that there's a whole other thread on this topic already, if you look just a little further down the page. :) You might check it out if you want to read more about what people here thought of the show. :) Here's the direct link:

http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17886

Hope that helps.

I personally haven't seen it yet, but someone's mailing me a copy.

Admiral_Snackbar

Veni, vidi, Lionel Richie
My personal opinion, but if you're looking for a reflection of reality in Dr. Phil "Sweeps Week Freaks" McGraw, you're looking in the wrong place. He cares about these people only insofar as he can plug his book which just so happens to have a chapter about fat acceptance.

ClashCityRocker

Outer Space Potato Man
i didn't see it, but it sounds like the type of show that'd almost make me feel bad for being an FA(ALMOST, you understand...i'm pretty damn stubborn.) the not-so-good doctor is just playing in to what has become accepted in our wacky culture in order to grab ratings and lure followers...it's almost like reinforcing a stereotype, i guess.

either way, i understand that there are health risks involved in it...there are health risks involved in EVERYTHING. but hell, if people aren't allowed to feel good about themselves, then what happens to diversity?

seriously, dr. phil needs to put a lid on it...nice and airtight.

runningman

Well you are in the right place for it! Dimensions has really helped me with my self esteem as far as physicality goes. I'm at a point in my life where while I do realize there are alot of jack-holes in the world, why would I care what a jack-hole thinks of me? It is enough for me to know that I possess awesomeness in such abundance that I am at a high risk of awesomeness overload.
Here here! These boards are great for FA's self esteem too. I think everyone on these boards possesses an abundance of awesomeness!!

Thankfully Dr. Loser isn't screened in the UK. Just listen to your b/f. He sounds like he knows what he's talking about. ;)

gangstadawg

the wanderer
i didn't see it, but it sounds like the type of show that'd almost make me feel bad for being an FA(ALMOST, you understand...i'm pretty damn stubborn.) the not-so-good doctor is just playing in to what has become accepted in our wacky culture in order to grab ratings and lure followers...it's almost like reinforcing a stereotype, i guess.

either way, i understand that there are health risks involved in it...there are health risks involved in EVERYTHING. but hell, if people aren't allowed to feel good about themselves, then what happens to diversity?

seriously, dr. phil needs to put a lid on it...nice and airtight.
didnt oprah distance herself from him?

Latest posts