FA peerdom as a part of the FA experience

Discussion in 'BBW/FA Board' started by James, Apr 7, 2009.

1. Aug 14, 2019 at 3:47 PM #21

Broseph

Broseph

Broseph

I'm pretty new to DIMs and have been looking through old posts, hence the response to this ol' thread. I find this one great and totally true of my experience.

I've never had any FA friends and man would I have loved it, especially as a teenager. As others have mentioned--I felt like I was the only one out there into fat girls. I think there are some FA specific issues that non-FAs have a hard time relating to, even if they are good, supportive friends who aren't disgusted by what I like. For me, it would have been great to have had an FA uncle or friend, etc., who was already out and could give tips or just lend an ear.

Funtastic curves, Tad and loopytheone like this.
  2. Aug 16, 2019 at 12:27 PM #22

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

This is an interesting thread and kudos to you @Broseph for finding it and breathing new life into it. I see it’s a good 10 years old and I’d be curious the ages and relationship statuses of the guys who posted in this thread when it was new.

The reason I wonder that is I don’t share at all the need for FA friends. I mean I have a few here with whom I correspond from time to time, but I do not have any close personal friends who are FAs and I hadn’t thought about it at all until reading the early posts in this thread.

Now maybe that’s my demographic data: I’m 39 and have been married a while now. And the friends I have a re largely a result of my wife’s friendships. When I say say friends, I mean people I willingly choose to be around in my off time. I get along well with colleagues and sometimes we hang out, but it’s not quite the same as the friendship I have with people I meet because of my wife.

At no point have I ever lamented not having friends who liked what I like. And thinking back, while it was awkward “coming out” as an FA, I don’t ever recall wishing for a few FA friends. I do remember worrying about what people would think, but I didn’t take it so far as to wish some of my friends were also FAs (a term I wasn’t even familiar with at the time).

Interesting topic.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2019 at 4:36 PM
    Funtastic curves and Broseph like this.