• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Fat and Fit

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phatkhat

I love eating. I enjoy being fat and my wife prefers me that way. I've been happy for quite some time with this but lately I've been thinking about the health concerns with being fat. So I started researching if it is possible to be both fat and fit. I'm no doctor, but what I found was pretty surprising and very encouraging. It does indeed seem that one can be fat and at the same time stay relatively healthy.

If you disagree, then you may want to read this article in the Washington Times sighting a study from the American Medical Association.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/aug/12/fat-and-healthy-not-an-oxymoron/

The AMA states this is indeed possible and in fact more than half of overweight adults and almost a third of obese adults are considered metabolically healthy, with normal blood pressure and cholesterol levels despite their weight.

So, it's possible, but how. Some of the big problems that fat people are at risk of are:

Heart Disease
Diabetes
Certain Types Of Cancer
Osteoarthritis

The good news is there's a lot of food and nutrients out there that counteracts and/or prevent these conditions. I know this is no substitute for losing weight, exercising and "eating right", but I want to stay fat and go through life being able to eat what I want. At the very least, these things listed below seem like a positive alternative as opposed to doing nothing.

Check it out and if you have any insight on this subject, I'd love to know! :)

Take Flax Seed Pills: This is a fricken miracle suppliment for us fat cats. Here are but a few benefits. The consumption of flaxseed is associated with a reduction in total cholesterol, including the LDL (bad) cholesterol and triglycerides. This is a key factor in preventing heart disease. Study after study has shown a positive response to taking flax seed daily. Additionally, nutritionists are instructing their diabetic patients to eat flax daily. It has been discovered that the omega-3 fat and high fiber in flax may play a role in the fight against diabetes. Flax Seed contains lignans. Lignans are highly valuable protective antioxidants, and are far more abundant in flaxseed, as much as 800 times more that found in any other plant food. Certain phytoestrogens among these lignans have special cancer-preventing benefits.

Cook with olive oil instead of vegetable oil
: The beneficial health effects of olive oil are due to both its high content of monounsaturated fatty acids and its high content of antioxidative substances. Studies have shown that olive oil offers protection against heart disease by controlling LDL cholesterol levels while raising HDL (the "good" cholesterol) levels. (1-3). No other naturally produced oil has as large an amount of monounsaturated as olive oil -mainly oleic acid. Researchers suggest that including olive oil in your diet may also offer benefits in terms of colon cancer prevention. Their study results showed that rats fed diet supplemented with olive oil had a lower risk of colon cancer than those fed safflower oil-supplemented diets. In fact, the rats that received olive oil had colon cancer rates almost as low as those fed fish oil, which several studies have already linked to a reduction in colon cancer risk.

Eat more of these foods::

Garlic : Helps to reduce cholesterol and blood fats. Antibacterial and anti fungal properties. Combats viral conditions. Protects against stomach cancers.
Onion: Helps to prevent cancer and circulatory disorders. Helps to prevent heart disease.
Tomatoes: Lowers the risk of prostate, mouth, esophagus, stomah, colon cancers.
Nuts: Boosts the immune system. Lowers cholesterol levels. Reduces the risks of heart and other age related diseases. Prevents osteoporosis.
Avocado: Contributes to the prevention of heart disease. Boosts the immune system in the elderly. Improves male fertility.
Salmon: Salmon is an excellent source of high quality protein, containing all essential amino acids. It is rich in minerals and contains vitamins A, D, B6 and B12. Salmon is a good source of Vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant, which lowers the risk of heart disease. Perhaps, most important, Salmon contains Omega-3 oil, which decreases the risk of coronary heart disease and certain cancers.

Understand the Glycemic Index: A contributing factor to getting diabetes later in life is consumption of High GI foods throughout the years. For this one, I'm not suggesting to stop eating all the yummy fatty foods, but to be aware of whats high and low on the gi scale so I can pig out in a healthy way. LOL... Seriously though, some High GI foods are Cheerios, instant rice, baked potatoes, and corn chips. Some Low GI foods are spaghetti, canned baked beans, Peanut M&M's and a Snickers bar.

Take multivitamins: Vitamins C,D and E help prevent Osteoarthritis. Calcium, Magnesium and Selenium help keep a heart healthy and put you at lower risk of Heart Disease. Vitamins D and E help prevent type 2 diabetes.

Exercise: Just because you want to want to stay fat doesn't mean you should not exercise. As long as you keep the amount of calories consumed higher than what your burning, all is good. Personally I hate the gym, but exercise doesn't have to be so bad. It can be done in day to day activities or in fun ways:

Walk instead of drive if it's reasonable.
Take the stairs instead of an elevator.
Go on short hikes in the mountains.
Shoot some hoops with the kids.
Play Nintendo Wii (No kidding, this is a workout!)
Walk the dog.

I hope this is useful and encouraging. Happy holidays!

Latest posts

Back