• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Fat perception in different races

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b01

How do you think that your race perceives fat people? Do they see them as a disgrace, or celebrate them, or are they just people?

Disclaimer: No need to read below this line unless you want to know a little bit about me.

Background:
So I've been thinking a lot about my attraction to fat. So this is a chance for me to rant/confess some things to the community here. I've been around for over a decade, and am way overdue to open up to my fellow Dims. So let me give a little about me.

As an African American male that grew up in Detroit until age 17; fat was NOT a big deal. There were fat people, but the only time you called them fat were when you wanted to insult them to their face. Usually when girls were fighting, or kids were making fun of each other, and you had nothing else left in your bag of insults. And if that was all you had left in your bag of insults, people looked at you as if you were lame. So fat was not a bad thing until you got over 300 lbs, then people were worried about your health.

At that age I found myself confused about about why I liked girls that were bigger than normal; keep in mind that African American women usually have a lot of breast, hip, and some tummy in the first place. Jane Fonda size African American women were NOT the norm, so I just assumed the media circus (whom I believed to be controlled solely by Caucasians at that time) talking about the average African American being obese was because they were jealous that we had all the goods naturally. You can keep yo Jane Fonda was my sentiment.

Then I went off to college at Michigan State, oh boy, there were plus-size women of all races! Yes I was aware of them, but I'd never seen one my age and so up close :D. Then there was the internet and I found Dims. Oh YES, a community of like minded people about the kind of women I prefer. Wow! Thank god I stayed in school! :bow:

Then I noticed something about how plus-size people are perceived in the Caucasian community (because they are the biggest group there); that it's bad to be fat. And not just bad as in, smack on the hand stop eating so much, but more in the sense that you we ostracized. I just didn't understand :huh: (and I still don't). I admit that it was new to me to see someone be ousted based on their size.

I also found it weird that there were so many plus-size girls at MSU, but you'd rarely see them in the cafeteria. Well...that's not true, my Afro-American Queens were there. I have to admit though that I would have loved to have had BBWs from other nationalities at the same table for lunch, dinner (stereotype ensues of black man and their choice in women, which I personally don't mind :doh:). I leave out breakfast because hardly any students show of for that at 8AM. But I feel I missed out not having enjoyed their company.

So I should say that I've always been comfortable with my natural choice to be attracted to BBW; and I remember when I was young that I told myself that I don't care what society thinks, I'm gonna marry the kind of woman I am attracted to.

Latest posts

Back