Fictional BHMs

Discussion in 'BHM/FFA' started by freakyfred, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Sep 19, 2018 #81

hutti

hutti

hutti

2. Jan 31, 2019 #82

Starling

Starling

Starling

Another one I’ve been thinking of lately...when we read The Fountainhead in college, I was obsessed with the part where the conventionally handsome somewhat antagonist Peter Keating gains a bunch of weight. Of course, in that book, both being handsome and being fat are Moral Failings TM (because Ayn Rand) but I absolutely loved it. There’s a part where Peter’s taking a bath and he’s gotten so big his stomach isn’t covered by the water anymore , which is supposed to be repulsive to the reader, but really I read that passage so many times as a nineteen year old that I think I had it committed to memory at some point.

loopytheone, Tad and squeezablysoft like this.
  3. Jan 31, 2019 #83

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Starling: I think we all had to make do with "isn't fat awful" for most of our fat fixes! I know I went through the entire "juvenile fiction -- obesity" category at my local library while growing up, and hit one book where fat was sort of grudgingly accepted, but I deviured all of them anyway (btw, I still remember the title on that one: "Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes")

squeezablysoft and Starling like this.
  4. Feb 1, 2019 #84

Starling

Starling

Starling

Yes! I stole "One Fat Summer" from my elementary school library when I was a kid because I worried the school librarian would know that I was interested in more than just a story about a boy who loses weight after learning the value of hard work. And then I felt bad so I had to covertly sneak it back in (after I was done reading, of course).

squeezablysoft and Tad like this.
  5. Feb 1, 2019 #85

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

Ugh, I read the sequel, in which he had slimmed down, before One Fat Summer. That kind of ruined 1FS for me (knowing that he got thin later). I was so mad at myself, because I picked up the sequel first because it didn't have fat in the title and I was nervous about being caught with a book about fat. So it was entirely my own fault for being so chicken. (So after I'd just hide between the stacks and read as much as I could in each visit and continue the next time, because that was so much braver *insert eye roll emoji here*

ETA: I read anything with fat characters, and I think there were slightly more with girls than boys. I guess there would have been even less for anyone only interested in fat on one gender.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    squeezablysoft likes this.
  6. Feb 2, 2019 #86

BouncingBoy

BouncingBoy

BouncingBoy

Formerly known as Dragorat

If you're a Comic Book Fan then MY nick is an Obvious character to Mention.....lol

7. Feb 2, 2019 #87

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

[​IMG]

8. Feb 2, 2019 #88

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

When I was growing up, there was a comic book series called "Herbie" about a fat kid who was really a superhero. Probably hard to find nowadays, but he was my role (roll?) model! There's also the fat character who is eating a huge meal and having an interesting interaction with his waitress in a short story called "Fat" by Raymond Carver, and the retired English professor who becomes massively fat after being fired from his teaching position and never leaves his home in the novel "Heft". And one of my favorites, "The Fattest Man in America" by a British author whose name I can't recall.

9. Feb 3, 2019 #89

RVGleason

RVGleason

RVGleason

Christopher Nicholson wrote ‘The Fattest Man in America’ novel.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
    Jerry Thomas likes this.
  10. Feb 4, 2019 #90

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

Jerry Thomas

Herbie - that's it! Thanks for posting. I now noticed that you posted about Herbie way back in 2010 in the second post in this long string. I also remember the fat Superman, fat Lois Lane, etc. comics, now that I think about it. People must have been really fat-phobic back then. My, how much has *not* changed!

11. Feb 11, 2019 #91

Jay78

Jay78

Jay78

King Size Homer will forever be my favorite episodes of the Simpsons!! Towel rack!!