Fictional BHMs

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

kittymahlberg

Absolutely! All pages featuring Pierre in my three copies (3 different translations from Russian) have dog-ears. And I couldn't even resist including his reference in one of my stories ....

It's probably the only piece of (adult) world literature with a central, positive fat character who gains weight in the course of the story.
Omigosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I remember discussing the novel with a friend of mine, who said she put the book down after another main character dies (trying to avoid spoilers for others). I remember thinking, yeah, I wouldn't have quit the novel because a character I like died, but that chapter where Pierre gets in the duel really had me biting my fingers! And I have hated few characters as much as I hated his witchy wife Helen. Man, I just wanted her to die and end his suffering!

Also, tickled to meet another writer!

Starling

Was just scrolling through this thread and wondering how Pierre could not have come up 10000 times already. One of the best characters in literature, period, and my absolute favorite literary BHM.

KittyCourtz

Freelance Illustrator

The handsome man in purple is Mars Sazerac from season 4, episode 10 of Bob's Burgers. I love him so much and he literally has no other fans aside from me.

kittymahlberg

All this Pierre love makes me too happy for words. *dances a mazurka*

I love him so much and he literally has no other fans aside from me.
Whoa, there! This is the Internet. You're never the only one!

Haven't watched Bob's Burger's myself, though I'm intrigued that it has a psychotic character voiced by the gal who does Mabel in Gravity Falls. Psychotic Mabel sounds pretty interesting.

Also, Mycroft Holmes. He almost always gets slimmed down in filmed versions of the Sherlock Holmes stories (shall we call it "the Shia LeBeouf effect"?), but in the books he is extremely fat . . . and smarter than his brother Sherlock. Just chew on that for a second. Like, he's so smart he doesn't care about the "real" world anymore. He just hangs out in his club eating, thinking, and playing chess. :smitten:

Reactions: Tad

KittyCourtz

Freelance Illustrator
Well, I'm the only person that I've seen openly declare my love for the sexy magician. I mainly hang around Tumblr and nobody has drawn or written about him aside from the people who work on the show. I'm his only known fan as of now.

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump
Just remembered another. Isaac Dan der Grimnebulin from Perdido Street Station by China Mieville.

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Also, Mycroft Holmes. He almost always gets slimmed down in filmed versions of the Sherlock Holmes stories (shall we call it "the Shia LeBeouf effect"?), but in the books he is extremely fat . . . and smarter than his brother Sherlock. Just chew on that for a second. Like, he's so smart he doesn't care about the "real" world anymore. He just hangs out in his club eating, thinking, and playing chess. :smitten:
Thiiiiis! I don't even like the Sherlock Holmes stories but book!Mycroft is bae. Also, in one of the films he was played by Stephen Fry. Which obviously makes him even cooler. Plus there was a random naked scene in there.

kittymahlberg

Stop the presses! Formerly the BBC Sherlock was among the many versions of the stories that only depicted a skinny-fied Mycroft.

And then we got the Victorian episode. . . .

Me in the theater: Oh, cool! They're going to the real Diogenes Club where you have to be completely silent and just read and think all day. And they're going to get Mycroft's help and--HOLY CRAP!

*Mark Gatiss appears, playing Mycroft in a huge fat suit placidly gorging on a 50-course lunch. Mycroft and Sherlock lobby insults at each other, Sherlock snarking about Mycroft's weight and Mycroft mocking his brother and Watson for being dolts who haven't yet figured out the mystery. Mycroft gleefully accepts a dare to eat yet another plum pudding.* :bow:

YESSSSS

Check it out: http://whatculture.com/tv/sherlock-13-wtf-moments-from-the-abominable-bride.php/2

Tad

mostly harmless
Nice!

My wife was wanting to go see that, but the tickets were all sold out by the time she booked. Too bad, I would have been interested to hear her reaction (she is not particularly an FFA). I wonder if there will be more showings?

loopytheone

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderator
Stop the presses! Formerly the BBC Sherlock was among the many versions of the stories that only depicted a skinny-fied Mycroft.

And then we got the Victorian episode. . . .

Me in the theater: Oh, cool! They're going to the real Diogenes Club where you have to be completely silent and just read and think all day. And they're going to get Mycroft's help and--HOLY CRAP!

*Mark Gatiss appears, playing Mycroft in a huge fat suit placidly gorging on a 50-course lunch. Mycroft and Sherlock lobby insults at each other, Sherlock snarking about Mycroft's weight and Mycroft mocking his brother and Watson for being dolts who haven't yet figured out the mystery. Mycroft gleefully accepts a dare to eat yet another plum pudding.* :bow:

YESSSSS

Check it out: http://whatculture.com/tv/sherlock-13-wtf-moments-from-the-abominable-bride.php/2
Ooooooh! I love Mycroft and seeing him fat like he is supposed to be is awesome!

bayone

Omigosh, I'm so glad I'm not the only one! I remember discussing the novel with a friend of mine, who said she put the book down after another main character dies (trying to avoid spoilers for others). I remember thinking, yeah, I wouldn't have quit the novel because a character I like died, but that chapter where Pierre gets in the duel really had me biting my fingers! And I have hated few characters as much as I hated his witchy wife Helen. Man, I just wanted her to die and end his suffering!

Also, tickled to meet another writer!
I finally started reading it this week, entirely because people on this thread have been talking about it. Just started Book 3, and am yelling PIERRE NOOOO DON'T LET THEM PUSH YOU INTO DOING THE THING. Actually that's pretty much what I've been yelling at every scene featuring Pierre from the beginning (except the party at Count Rostov's, which was basically the Fezziwig's Xmas party of this universe.)

gythaogg

Ok, found the right thread!

Folks, I've just finished Perdido Street Station by China Mieville. It's a dark fantasy with a pretty tragic arc, and without spoiling too much, I was deeply frustrated by the ending, but you all need to know about Isaac Dan Der Grimnebulin, arrogant blustering scientist and definite lust object :smitten: He's already been mentioned here but I thought he deserved some quotes.

He lay hugely in the bed without opening his eyes. He heard Lin walk across the room and felt the slight listing of the floorboards. The garret was filled with pungent smoke. Isaac salivated.

Lin clapped twice. She knew when Isaac woke. Probably because he closed his mouth, he thought, and sniggered without opening his eyes.

‘Still sleeping, shush, poor little Isaac ever so tired,’ he whimpered, and snuggled down like a child. Lin clapped again, once, derisory, and walked away.

He groaned and rolled over.

‘Termagant!’ he moaned after her. ‘Shrew! Harridan! All right, all right, you win, you, you … uh … virago, you spit-fire …’ He rubbed his head and sat up, grinned sheepishly. Lin made an obscene gesture at him without turning around.

She stood with her back to him, nude at the stove, dancing back as hot drops of oil leapt from the pan. The covers slipped from the slope of Isaac’s belly. He was a dirigible, huge and taut and strong. Grey hair burst from him abundantly.
‘I don’t know.’ Isaac spoke slowly. ‘But I think so. I’m your best bet, I reckon. I’m not a chymist, or a biologist, or a thaumaturge … I’m a dilettante, Yagharek, a dabbler. I think of myself …’ Isaac paused and laughed briefly. He spoke with heavy gusto. ‘I think of myself as the main station for all the schools of thought. Like Perdido Street Station. You know it?’ Yagharek nodded. ‘Unavoidable, ain’t it? Fucking massive great thing.’ Isaac patted his belly, maintaining the analogy. ‘All the train-lines meet there – Sud Line, Dexter, Verso, Head and Sink Lines; everything has to pass through it. That’s like me. That’s my job. That’s the kind of scientist I am. I’m being frank with you. Thing is, you see, I think that’s what you need.’

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod

bayone

Saw The Blue Angel years ago, but could never get into Jannings for some reason.

That’s the hard thing about watching German films of this period — any actor you like, you can be pretty sure that if you look them up the best-case scenario is “fled the country shortly thereafter.” :(

Here’s young Peter Lorre singing in a screwball comedy, while getting fleeced by the pickpocket heroine: https://youtu.be/0gXSpM9GuBo

RVGleason

Discovered this Japanese manga series titled ‘Mori No Takuma-San’ about a young girl hung up on good looking guys who finds herself falling for a very chubby to fat young man who loves her. It’s long, 24 chapters, but very cute and well worth checking out.

http://www.zingbox.me/manga/7627/Mori+no+Takuma-san

bayone

If you already enjoy Otto Wernicke, Bayone, you definitely need to take a closer look at his contemporaries
Update — Apparently operatic tenor Leo “What time’s the next swan?” Slezak started making appearances in movies after retiring from the stage and there are a number of clips of him on YouTube:
But I think his son Walter may have been cuter, especially when playing a chef:
Unfortunately the soundtrack on the above gets progressively further out of synch.
Apparently Walter was also pretty well-known as a chef in RL, and I found some clips on a stock-photo/stock-footage site of him doing a cooking demo and being quite flirtatious (video can’t be embedded, is watchable but there’s a watermark): https://www.shutterstock.com/fr/video/clip-26618500-stock-footage--s-chef-walter-slezak-and-hostess-vivian-ferrar-prepare-to-make-frankfurter-goulash-in.html

Group builder