Gaviota State Beach Camping Trip!

Discussion in 'Event Discussion (Archive Only)' started by BullseyeB, Apr 19, 2009.

1. Apr 19, 2009 #1

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

Hi All,

We are the proud new owners of a camping trailer (Thanks to Bio/Ris and Stan/MtnMaiden for the camping bug!)!!!!! :rolleyes: ;)

I just booked a campsite at Gaviota State Beach campground, site number 24 for Friday, June 26 and Saturday, June 27th!!!

Does anyone want to join us?

2. Apr 20, 2009 #2

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

Very cool BullseyeB, congratulations on the new camping trailer! I'll talk to Mtnmaiden, that sounds like it would be fun!

3. Apr 20, 2009 #3

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

I hope you can join us! We were driving back from Fresno yesterday and swung into Gaviota State Park to take a look at the campground. It is not the prettiest place, but it looks like fun due to access to the beach and tidepools!

We switched our site to number 10. 24 was pretty ugly! I did notice last night that number 11 is available. That would be cool if you could be right next to us! It is a small campground, so no matter what we wouldn't be very far away from eachother.

I have not cancelled number 24 yet, just in case someone wants to come and reservations fill up. I'll wait a little while before cancelling it.

We are excited! The Clovis RV people are inspecting, detailing and fixing anything that needs to be fixed. We pick up on May 9, Mother's Day Weekend. Can't wait!

4. Apr 21, 2009 #4

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

Very cool L! I'm assuming it's a motorhome? And please, do hold onto that campsite for the moment until I talk to Mtnmaiden. I don't think Mtnmaiden will be able to get a Friday off (June 26th) since that is right before she goes off track, but maybe we'll be able to do Saturday and Sunday. I'll tell you one way or another by this weekend. I hope we can make it, we are overdue for some beach time and it would be great to see you guys again!

5. Apr 22, 2009 #5

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

Hey Stan,

No, not a motorhome. We bought a used 2002 Trailmanor travel trailer. www.trailmanor.com The trailer tows like a pop up tent trailer but is hardsided and clamshells up to make a full sized trailer. It tows at 24'3" and opens to 27' They say it is equivalent to a 31' trailer when it is all set up. It has a king sized bed on one end and a sofa on the other. There is a full bathroom, sink, stove, and oven. It has pretyy good storage and is in good condition. We are excited. We got a really good deal and are awaiting the Service Center detailing and safety checks etc. before we can pick up. We will drive back to Clovis on Mother's Day weekend to pick up. The Clovis Rv place is only about 20 minutes from John's folk's house. So we'll visit Grandma and Grandpa again.

Anyway, I will hold on to the extra site until I hear from you one way or the other. Ris and Bio may come too! Fun Fun! :)

6. Apr 22, 2009 #6

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

Those pop-ups are great, much better than a tent trailer. You guys made a good choice! Just to understand correctly... You have reserved the campsites for the night of the 26th and the night of the 27th (in other words... arriving Friday and leaving on Sunday?) Mtnmaiden is game for going and will only have a half day of work on Friday so that works out good, but we may bring a tent instead. For us, by the time we hookup the trailer, drive there, unhook and then hook up again for the return trip, drive and then dismantle the trailer at home, it will be more work time than camping time. Definitely keep the campsite though, and please do PM Mtnmaiden how much it will cost. The other thing we are thinking of... If possible we may actually stay longer (by a few days at least...) to make bringing the trailer worthwhile, and explore the area (Solvang in particular), Mtnmaiden is off track the next week and I should be able to get the time off so that is a possibility.

7. Apr 23, 2009 #7

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

Reservations made! Had to reserve spot 9; 11 wasn't available. :( Well, we'll be directly across from you guys.

Stan, I made our resie to include 5 - figured you and Sarah can tent camp (caveat, though - website boasts of 50 mph winds at times), and Kristen can take our sofa or dinette fold out, providing Chuck will sleep in the back of his truck.

Woo hoo! I'm excited! You know, Laura, there's room for Bev, too, in our trailer (again, provided Chuck sleeps in his truck, which he usually does). The dinette converts and there's a pull-out sofa.

Laura, what's the beach situation? Can you reach the surf without wading through too much sand (anathema to me)?

Oh, and let's plan meals! How about a nice s'more casserole? :p

8. Apr 23, 2009 #8

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

Great Ris, that will be fun to get the crew back together again and Junior will enjoy the company also! Mtnmaiden hasn't checked her PMs yet, whenever you tell me how much and where to send a check for the extra space you reserved BullseyeB, I'll gladly send you the funds! I'm still not sure whether we'll be there with the trailer or tent but at least we have options with Mtnmaiden staying with that extra bed Ris, but I figure we'll still get the campsite you reserved BullseyeB so we will have a place to park the truck.

9. Apr 23, 2009 #9

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

Great! This is shaping up nicely! The idea of keeping the one ugly site for the truck is a good idea! There is a tree next to our site and table wioth some grassy area that would make for a nice spot for a tent. There is also a bigger grassy area near number 9. So, I think we have our bases covered. Arriving on Friday, June 26 and departing on Sunday, June 28. The campground will be full, I am sure. A PM is on the way to MtnMaiden, Stan.

Ris, I believe it is a fair trek across the sand to the water. I do know there are a few picnic tables right near the lifeguard towers and are accessible by car within a few yards. I already figured that this is where I will stake a claim. We might even get lucky and get some shade for part of the time...you know how I fry!

We'll plan meals together...good idea! Mmmmm, s'mores....nice.

Fun!

stan_der_man likes this.
  10. Apr 23, 2009 #10

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

Now all we'll need is John's sailboat - remember that time he took Pam, Carrie, and I with you guys? That was exhilarating; I loved it!

11. Apr 24, 2009 #11

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

Oh man! I had forgotten about that! When I asked John if he remembered, he just looked at me like I was the village idiot. Of course he remembers! If that wasn't an FA's dream, I don't know what is! What was I thinking? Sheesh!

I actually have some cool photos of that boat trip somewhere. I'll have to see if I can find them. There is a really nice shot of you and Carrie as I recall.

Good times, good times.

Yeah, John mentioned something the other night about buying this trailer was one step further away from his dream of boat ownership again. I felt a little twinge of guilt for a moment. Oh well. I have told him for years (since he sold the boat) that we needed to start a special boat fund savings account. In these economic times, that is probably off the radar for a while. Sigh. Of course, Katie gets so seasick that she is perfectly happy not having a boat to be tortured on! HA! :)

12. Apr 24, 2009 #12

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

Before you both know it, Katie will be in college and on her own, and you two close to retirement, and John can reclaim his ownership of the seas with his own sailboat. First things first, I guess.

Man, I remember that sailboat trip so clearly - I can even feel the sun, wind and the swell of the water under us, and smell the salt air; a very memorable afternoon for me. I remember being so impressed watching you crew.

13. May 21, 2009 #13

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

Hey, Laura - I'm working on Carrie to join us, figured we can find a way to accommodate her, or she said she'd find a local motel.

And I think I told you Dianna is coming with Chuck and I. :happy:

Yay!

Be prepared for that ass whuppin' at cards I promised you during the November trip last year. :eek: Bring your dollars. :p

14. May 22, 2009 #14

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

I was always the same way when my dad would take me out on his friend's boat, I got seasick like crazy! They would let me lay on the bow of the boat and watch the horizon, that was actually quite enjoyable...

Looking forward to the trip! I'm still 50/50 on bringing the trailer though. I'll try to get days off before and after the weekend, that would give me more the time for setup and take down of the trailer.

15. May 22, 2009 #15

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

Hi All,

Oh Ris, Ris, Ris...I am sooo ready for the card game. You are on, baby!

I hope Carrie makes it! It sounds like quite the crowd! We will also have a two man tent, so maybe one of the guys could sleep outdoors to make room for Carrie and Dianna or maybe even Beverly.

Stan, I used to get so seasick that I didn't like the swings as a kid! I can remember my father sying,"This is history in the making. You kids get out here and watch the Apollo splashdown!" I got seasick watching the frogmen in the water outside the capsule! My mom understood, but my dad didn't. Yuck! I can still see it in my mind!

Well, I hope all will be quiet with the winds while we are at Gaviota. It can really rip through there. As I said before, this is NOT a pretty campground! No false hopes here, friends.

16. May 22, 2009 #16

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

Is Bev going too? Oh, this is like an All-Star camping trip! :happy:

Kinda hard to play cards when it's windy, especially something like Canasta!

Oh, and eats! We must plan eats!

17. May 23, 2009 #17

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

BullseyeB

Yeah, Bev said she would most likely stop by...she may go home to sleep, but she is planning on coming out for a while!

Oh I see...that's the excuse you'll use to get out of a good ass whoopin...the wind, huh?! HA!

Peanut butter balls (Buckeyes) are planned. I'm thinking a potato salad and some watermelon too. Can't decide on an entree yet. Any suggestions?
    :eat2:

18. May 23, 2009 #18

Risible

Risible

Risible

Monkey Daze

I am so gonna stomp you, woman.

Well, Di wants to do a meal, too, so how about if we split it up amongst the four of us (you, me, Di, Kristen) - you take a dinner, I take a dinner, and Di takes lunch (I don't really care if I do lunch or dinner; if you have a preference, it's yours) and Kristen gets breakie. Like that?

I disremember, do we have electrical hookups at our camping spots?

19. May 23, 2009 #19

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

I'd be happy to do it, but I may need to cook at your place, Ris. Stan hasn't decided yet if we are tent camping or bringing the trailer. I must say that I'd much rather enjoy the conveniences of home...
    MM

20. May 26, 2009 #20

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog

Next comes the other half of my split personality... ;) (I'm Stan now BTW...)

We will definitely be bringing the trailer, but we are going to continue camping somewhere around Pismo Beach for the week. The best place I've found at the moment is Avila Hot Springs / Avila Beach. Here is the info:

Avila Hot Springs:
    http://www.avilahotsprings.com/

Avila Beach
    http://www.avilabeachpier.com/avila/businesses/hotsprings.html

Here are some reviews I read from Yelp:
    http://www.yelp.com/biz/avila-hot-springs-rv-resort-avila-beach

The first review is kinda funny... I read other reviews that the campground at Avila Hot Springs isn't that great (the tent area...) but the RV park is good and the hot springs are good, although they smell like sulfur...

Here is a map:

[​IMG]