iPhones vs Androids

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I have had a blackberry for several years and am ready to move on...I have seen the joy of both of these....but the one thing that has me sold on the 'droid is the talk to text app i have seen used to my amazement!!!

I am a pretty hard core APPLE FAN....but have heard so much more positive feedback on the 'droids....

so here's a topic....talk amongst yourselves and tell me most amazing HELPFUL apps you have and which y'all prefer PLEASE!!!

LalaCity

Well, one thing the android doesn't do is autocorrect one's texts to awkward and/or comical effect.

TraciJo67

My android works very well as a battering ram. As a phone, not so much.

Dromond

Old school
https://www.facebook.com/john.m.pedigo, M
BUMP!

I'm currently in the market to upgrade to a smartphone. I was going to start a new thread, but found this one in the archives. So I'm using it instead.

Android vs. iPhone. Which is better for the newbie smartphone user?

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I don't know about iphone stuff but i have only paid a few bucks total for all the apps i have on my phone. I love that the amazon app store has a free app every day for android. There are so many free awesome apps for android. Really the only apps I've paid for are things like Thomas and a Sandra Boynton app for my youngest boy. i don't think I've paid for anything for myself except for the mighty eagle for Angry Birds.

I think that with the tons of manufacturers out there fro android phones, you might run into more lemons than the one producer of the iphone. We have been happy with our MyTouch4gs which are a year old next month, so they're old technology. (hubby had a G1 for two years before, so we're happy with HTC produced phones)

You might also have more app availability with iphone but you're sure going to be paying a lot more for each app.
I'm no help huh :)

GentleSavage

I don't bite too much...
I have an LG Ally, which runs on the droid network, and I love it. Sometimes it's a bit unresponsive (especially if you open and close it too quick), but besides that I love it. The keyboard it has is really what drew me too it.

But gmail and facebook run real smooth on it, and that's really all I need.

lostjacket

I found it.
iPhone has legit changed my life - I feel like I don't have the internet when I have it.

CleverBomb

On Space Out
The advantages of iPhones are that they are user-friendly (especially if you are already using iTunes), and have a wide variety of accessories.

The advantages of Android phones are the variety of shapes, sizes, and configurations, and the ability to customize -- indeed, outright hack -- them.

-Rusty

(Samsung Infuse 4G, Galaxy Tab 7", Acer A100, A500)

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
as the originator of this here thread...it's interesting that I GOT a 'droid
INCREDIBLE for $50 this week from a co-worker.

I am learning how to touch the keys rather then KEYBOARD...its a slightly slow process, as well as a new operating system

FREE APPS hells YEAH....whos got a favorite APP to share with me?????? :p

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I highly suggest downloading the Amazon app store. Every day they have a free app that normally costs money. I got Bejeweled 2 for today's app. I've gotten plants vs zombies, cut the rope and all kinds of great freebies. It's not always games too. They had an office suite the other day. I hardly visit the android app store anymore! :)

CleverBomb

On Space Out
i
as the originator of this here thread...it's interesting that I GOT a 'droid
INCREDIBLE for $50 this week from a co-worker.

I am learning how to touch the keys rather then KEYBOARD...its a slightly slow process, as well as a new operating system

FREE APPS hells YEAH....whos got a favorite APP to share with me?????? :p
App suggedtions -- Free:

Quick Settings (allows access to most device settings; includes a flashlight switch for your camera's flash)

Google Navigation (unlike the navigation app the cell carrier provides, it is free to use).

Color Note (notes app, includes a widget so you can leave reminders for yourself on your home screen).

Fresco Lite (simple sketch app) And while you are at it, get a capacitive stylus to draw with.

Firefox for Mobile. You will thank me the first time you use it to read the boards and DON'T trigger the Amazon ad accidentally. The stock browser works better with the chat, however.

A Online Radio. Free internet radio stations.

TuneIn Radio is also good (same purpose).

If you ever used an old Palm PDA and remember the Grafitti shorthand text input, there is a free version of it available for Android. The capacitive stylus I mentioned earlier really helps.

If you fly frequently (or at all), most airlines have free apps that will help you track flight info and frequent flyer points. Some even allow you to use the app itself as a boarding pass.

And, yeah, Angry Birds if you like that sort of thing.

App suggestions -- Paid:

QuickOffice or Documents to Go (one or the other is probably already installed on your phone). Often the installed app is just a document reader, the paid version lets you edit and create Word, Excel, etc. documents on the phone itself.

There are some pretty good alternative on-screen keyboards (Swype. etc) but that is often a matter of personal preference.

I spend a bit of time reading AndroidCentral.com. both the blog (main section) and the forums there. The XDA-Developers.com forums are often far more technical, but there is useful information there even for novices.

Good Luck!

-Rusty

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7" (original version)

Edited using QuickOffice before pasting into reply

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Choice made: I'm going Android. The lower cost of the phones and apps is the deal maker for me.

Now which phone? Decisions, decisions.

PS: AT&T will be my new carrier.
I'm using a rooted Samsung Infuse 4G on AT&T. for what that is worth (stock ROM).
Nice and fast (though not on the bleeding edge, specs-wise), and a very good --and large -- display.
Has bluetooth drivers for both keyboards and mice, if you have a use for them on a phone (did I mention QuickOffice?)
The GPS is not great, and using navigation with the display on will run down the battery faster than a car charger can recharge it. Most of that is just from the power drawn by the display itself though... It hasn't been enough of a nuisance to drive me to install a custom ROM with an improved battery charge controller.

-Rusty