is there such a thing as synchronicity

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by goodthings, Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jul 18, 2009 #1

goodthings

goodthings

goodthings

I had an odd experience yesterday and am wondering if anyone believes that us there such a thing as synchronicity

2. Jul 18, 2009 #2

KFD

KFD

KFD

I am Ironman

Absolutely. Carl Jung either theorized or described the concept originally. My personal ideologies change, and given human's limited reasoning skills, I honestly think that it is a means to decipher the pure concept of fate. Things just seem to inexorably fall in place at the right time, like it was supposed to...
    KFD

3. Jul 18, 2009 #3

Blackjack

Blackjack

Blackjack

Fupa Troopa

It exists, but I sometimes wish that it didn't, because "Every Breath You Take" has become one of the most horrendously overplayed songs ever.

4. Jul 19, 2009 #4

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

CleverBomb

On Space Out

I just heard that one on the radio, myself!
    There must be some reason for it...

-Rusty

5. Jul 19, 2009 #5

Captain Save

Captain Save

Captain Save

never had a 40

Quoted For Truth. Indeed, there are a few tracks on that CD that I shouldn't play while driving as it increases the likelihood of seeing red and blue lights in the rearview mirror (Synchronicity I or II.) Tea in the Sahara and Wrapped Around Your Finger are the only other tracks I liked from that CD.

Regarding the connection between seemingly unrelated events, I've read that human beings are preprogrammed to believe in something higher than itself, and combined with the innately human habit of rationalization, the theory itself begins to seem inevitable in our philosophical drive to understand the reality of our existence. I would agree with the idea, given the increasing influence on our lives by forces outside of our individual control such as the media, but part of the economically intertwined entities around the world.

I think too much.

6. Jul 19, 2009 #6

goodthings

goodthings

goodthings

Can you share more of your experiences with this? I find the idea very interesting...

7. Jul 19, 2009 #7

Teleute

Teleute

Teleute

Heh heh. "Member".

*cough*confirmation bias and illusory correlation*cough*

We are built to see patterns where there is only coincidence - it's an evolutionary advantage. Scientific American had a great article recently that said:

(Rest of the article is here, and well worth reading.)

I worked with a woman who was convinced that she ONLY ever saw the time when it was a repeated number (3:33, 1:11, etc). She seriously went on and on about how this ALWAYS happened to her and it was so weird and creeped her out. Really, she looked at the time frequently - I'd see her glancing up at the clock as she was doing mundane tasks all the time - but the only time she noticed was when the time was a repeated number. She wasn't doing it on purpose or to get attention; I'm pretty sure she genuinely was not aware of the other times she was looking at the clock, it just never caught her attention unless it fit her pattern. We've evolved to be really good at recognizing patterns - even when they don't exist. :)