• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Mothers, Daughters and Obesity

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TallFatSue

It sounds like many other fat women on this board got earfuls of mixed messages from their mothers when they were growing up. Almost sounds like I had it easy.

Obesity is Hereditary: You Get It From Your Children. Or so my mother believes. I'll bet one reason my mother harped about my weight as a girl was her own figure wasn't "perfect". To hear her tell it, she had a perfect figure until I was born, and ever since then she's had a little belly that annoys the dickens out of her. Not that she's really fat by any means. Not that the birth of my brother 2 years later had anything to do with it -- he's thin. So, even though she's never actually said it, but she behaves like her fat daughter made her "fat". Yeah right, Mom, obesity is contageous.

Yesterday Art & I visited my parents, and I do love them -- both 73 and still going strong. My father needed some help moving some furniture so Art gave him a hand, which was 10 minutes' work, tops. As soon as we walked in the door, I could smell my mother's gourmet cooking. She's convinced that Art & I will starve to death if she doesn't cook for a small army whenever we visit. Considering her attitude about my weight, she conveniently forgets that I could live on my fat for a year.

So while Art helped my father, I walked into the kitchen to help my mother. Mom always makes comments about my weight, or complains about her non-existent rolls of fat. I used to dread waiting for it to happen, but now I just head her off at the pass (it's fun to be a wise ass). ;)

Sue: Smells great, Mom. I should have worn bigger jeans.
Mom: Doesn't it bother you to have that belly of yours hanging out for all the world to see?
Sue: If it gets any bigger, I'll buy a wheelbarrow, I promise.
Mom: Very funny.

We had a really nice visit, and I sure put away the food. After dinner we had a nice long chat, and Mom brought out her killer chocolate cream pie for dessert. We had lotsa leftovers to take home with us too. I know my mother only wants what's best for me, which is why she feeds me until I pop some buttons, yet also frets over how fat I am. But I'm a big girl now, so I've learn how to handle her mixed messages.

So what does my father think about my weight? As far as he's concerned, I turned out just fine. I've never heard him comment about my size, except to call me "Daddy's Little Girl". Yep, Art & I are in our late 40s with rewarding careers, and they still call us "you kids".

Excuse me, I hear some leftover chocolate cream pie calling my name. :D

Sue

Latest posts

Back