My worst doctor visit ever

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by chocolate desire, Jun 1, 2006.

1. Jun 1, 2006 #1

chocolate desire

chocolate desire

chocolate desire

Today was the day I have dreaded for 3 weeks. It was time for my papsmear with a new doctor.Thinking that it might by chance go pretty smooth I walked into the office head held high only to retreat feeling lower than the sole on my shoe.I knew it was taking a turn for the worst when the nurse insisted on weighing me even though I could read on the scale maximum limit 440..after 3 ERROR readings I pointed out the 440 once again and with a little annoyance in my voice said "I told you I was 492".Then it was time to see what part of the paper gown I would opt to cover as it never covers all of me, when much to my surprise I was told there was no need to undress as their tables had a weight limit of 350.She then asked me how was it that I was able to be examed before and had I recently gained weight. You should have seen the horror in her eyes as I replied "No I have lost a bunch since my last papsmear". She left me alone as she went to comfirm when my last check up was and had they in fact been able to fit me on their table and such. In the end she came back and told me that I had two options go back to Tn for the papsmear or wait until they can find a table to hold me.I think I feel a food binge coming on to lift my spirits.

swamptoad likes this.
  2. Jun 1, 2006 #2

moonvine

moonvine

moonvine

Queen of Contempt

3. Jun 1, 2006 #3

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

((((YOU))))

(I figure you could use a hug today).

I hope your day gets better.

-Ed

4. Jun 1, 2006 #4

Zandoz

Zandoz

Zandoz

Highly irregular

{{{{{{{{{{Chocolate}}}}}}}}}}

I to had a Dr appointment today. A few weeks back I stumbled across a web site that had a feature where you could enter the meds being taken, and it would check for interactions. It came up with a big interaction with one of my diabetes meds...I'd never made the connection, but my glucose test readings had skyrocketed since the offending med. When I stopped the problem med, my levels dropped over 1/3. I tell the doctor about the interaction, and present him with a log of my readings before and after...his reaction "you can't trust what you find on the internet".

They make ya want to scream, hit something, or chow down....I stopped and got a sack of cheese sticks on the way home.

5. Jun 1, 2006 #5

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher

I'm sorry to hear that Chocolate. I'm usually a fist shaker when it comes to doctor visits and shrewish medical staff but there are days when you just don't want to have to put up your dukes all the time. In a place where you should be taken care of you are greeted with just the opposite. It makes me angry on your behalf, I'm sorry you had to go through that.

6. Jun 1, 2006 #6

MissChristal

MissChristal

MissChristal

At 500+ lbs. I am lucky that my 1st appoint. with my new GYN last year was a breeze. I had heard from so many people that they are always questioned about being able to fit on the tables...well, I am happy to say the question never left their mouths in my GYN's office. They are a very professional and friendly group of women. I'm sorry this happened to you. Hopefully you will be able to find a nicer doctor more suited to your needs. Good luck!

7. Jun 1, 2006 #7

Jane

Jane

Jane

Photo (c) Fatlane

That sounds like it was all the Nurse, whose behavior should have been reported to the doctor.

8. Jun 1, 2006 #8

ThatFatGirl

ThatFatGirl

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?

Don't let this experience get you down, CD... You deserve better treatment than you received today! Unfortunately, sometimes we have to demand it.

Follow the links Moonvine posted to see if there's a fat friendly doctor near you. If there is none, check your local bbw Yahoo group and post a message there asking for referrals from other bbws in the area, or on this message board for that matter if necessary.

I would also suggest you write a letter to the doctor who you were supposed to see today and tell him or her about your experience with the staff you saw.

Big hugs to you.. hang in there :)

9. Jun 1, 2006 #9

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

BBW Betty

Made My Saving Throw

I'm so sorry to hear this happened to you. Sometimes they just don't get it, do they. I'd agree that it sounds like the Nurse is the one with the problem, and should be reported.

(((chocolate desire)))

10. Jun 1, 2006 #10

chocolate desire

chocolate desire

chocolate desire

Thanks for all of your concerns and hugs. Just knowing I could share this with people that really care and not say "well take it as a hint to lose weight" makes my day brighter..((((Hugs))) right back at you all.

11. Jun 1, 2006 #11

TheSadeianLinguist

TheSadeianLinguist

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated

CD, that's awful. Again, I agree with what others have said. Call the office back and report that nurse. There's no excuse for the crap with weighing you.

12. Jun 1, 2006 #12

dragorat

dragorat

dragorat

Fat & happy Rodent..:)

Sis...take it as a hint to go on a binge then go back & SQUASH the shrew B****!!!!!!!:mad:

13. Jun 2, 2006 #13

loves2laugh

loves2laugh

loves2laugh

((((((((choco))))))))
    sorry to hear that you went through that. the first gyno i ever went to rubbed my lower abdomin and said- look at all those stretch marks and you never had a child. and that was a woman. i am happily going to a man who is a chunky little guy himself. some people have a bedside manner and some just dont

14. Jun 2, 2006 #14

guelphgirly20

guelphgirly20

guelphgirly20

hey all! im 20 years old and weigh approximately 350lbs... i better not let my doc weigh me cuz i know he will not let me on the table if thats the case. he constanting shakes his head and in rude tones express how physically disgusted he is with my "GROSSLY OBESE" size. my mother is under 150 and he tells her to lose weight. once i asked what he recommended for me to lose weight... he said "dont eat for 3 months" i laughed waiting for the honest answer..... none came.... this doctor has also been heard to say to an allergic pet owner "get rid of them.. what are they good for anyways?" even though he has 2 dogs of his own... and more complaints too. i ahvent been to him in over a year because walk in clinics wont judge me, wont weigh me and wont make me feel like slitting my wrists or vomiting everything from cake to salad. i want a new doctor but living in guelph ontario there is a shortage and i dont even know how i would go about changing the doctor... and if this change would even make a difference.. i could end up with someone who makes me feel down right homicidal.

15. Jun 2, 2006 #15

comngetmeFA

comngetmeFA

comngetmeFA

Are you serious?:eek: Your doctor has actually said that he is 'disgusted' by your weight?! That is beyond unprofessional. I think you may have a quack for a doctor. New doctor. That's it. This guy is obviously a little loose in the head.

16. Jun 2, 2006 #16

PrettyKitty

PrettyKitty

PrettyKitty

Dorkus Maximus

Wow, what a horrible experience. I'm sorry you had to deal with that.
    You'd think that people in the medical field would act more professional.
    But, there are the great ones and then there are these ones.

17. Jun 2, 2006 #17

Santaclear

Santaclear

Santaclear

User

Sounds like a sucky visit, CD. :mad:

The majority of doctor experiences I've had have not been good (not that I've been to many), and I'm not even really fat. I do hear about good ones tho, so I know they're out there.

18. Jun 2, 2006 #18

guelphgirly20

guelphgirly20

guelphgirly20

ya but i enjoy going to plussizeplanet.ca parties in toronto and feeling like one of the sexiest girls in the room. not to mention the super sexy chubby chasers lmao that doc can kiss my fat ass lol

19. Jun 2, 2006 #19

eightyseven

eightyseven

eightyseven

Ridiculous.

I think it's just that the tables couldn't handle you... just think of it as it being so taken aback by holding your beauty, that it gets weak in the knees. But yeah, I hope for you that you find a more supportive doctor's office! :)

20. Jun 2, 2006 #20

missaf

missaf

missaf

I am sorry you were treated that way. Fire the doctor and interview some that you think you can work with. Keep everything in perspective and remember you're still alive and stil have a lot to enjoy in life.