New Fat Acceptance Advert - "Too Offensive for Television"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

James

vibeout
And I should warn you all... that ABC's assessment about this advert having the potential to offend should be taken seriously. This ad really does not pull any punches... and in my opinion, is especially effective for that reason alone.

one last warning before you click on the link below... if you have a low PC tolerance for bigoted 'humor' (even when its being enacted for the sole purpose of making a broader point... don't click)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkcUq1LBdaA

A bit of background on the ad itself.... (taken from "The F-Word")

The commercial was produced by the Sydney advertising agency The Foundry for a challenge on a show called The Gruen Transfer, which bills itself as “a show about advertising, how it works, and how it works on us.” On last night’s segment, two agencies were asked to create a campaign to “end shape discrimination and make overweight Australians feel less humiliated by the constant public disapproval of anyone who isn’t a size 10 or under.”

Oaksearcher

I suggest that after watching the ad, you go to this link: www.antiprejudicead.net. There is uploaded a segment with the people who created this ad and their reasons. This segment is also from the show The Gruen Transfer.

Mabus

I saw the episode of the Gruen Transfer where this ad was featured; unfortunately in the competition the other ad won out; and that ad used a silly "fat people consume more, so they can help us get out of recession!" message.

mango

Mustachio Nut
I saw the episode of the Gruen Transfer where this ad was featured; unfortunately in the competition the other ad won out; and that ad used a silly "fat people consume more, so they can help us get out of recession!" message.

That's Australia for ya....

Coming up with great ideas and then pissing all over them! :rolleyes:

:doh:

exile in thighville

groups/347570880589/
i have to start using the first joke in that. but really, that ad sucked. i'm pro-offensive jokes, and they're not the same as discrimination at all. these ads in general are a huge waste of funding...no one with the mentality to make fun of people's going to see this sort of thing and have a chord struck. but they've been done better.

sweet&fat

My aim is true.
As lame as the winning commercial sounds (go fatties! eat like the wind! our fiscal salvation lies in your insatiability! thanks but no thanks), it would be nice to see a positive take on fat pride vs a negative one, i.e. inserting positive imagery into the media while also making people aware of the pitfalls of size discrimination. There's a big difference between asking for a cessation of hate and trying to foster new and perhaps even (gasp) positive perspectives on fat people. This commercial is powerful indeed, and I'd be happy if it aired, but can't there be more? I feel like a fat-phobic audience will revert inevitably to the moralizing standby of "they can change it if they want to- it's not the same as race etc."

StarWitness

part square, part drape
I think the ad falls short of what it's trying to accomplish. Both because (a) they could have chosen a better focus for sizism than jokes, and (b) right after the Holocaust joke? Really? :doh: In my mind, if you're comparing something to genocide that is anything besides, um, more genocide, your argument loses major credibility.

T_Devil

A Happy Disaster
I liked how the ad was shot, first of all. It was very mean spirited and the actors made no analogizes. It got across that they just didn't care what you thought, and that is the mindset of every single bigot in the world. The way it was shot was very bold, but very raw and that added to the context.

The jokes themselves. All of those jokes would have ended up on South Park or Family Guy if given enough time. Shock Humor amuses me probably because I hate everybody equally. <---That was a joke. In seriousness though, I have to laugh at the most horrible of things, it's all I have left. It makes no difference if it was meant to harm or not, it's there and we know why people will laugh at it. We can be bigots and laugh at the joke too, or we can laugh at the dumb fuckers telling the joke.

Telling them they are wrong isn't going to change them. But that's bigotry on the whole. Bigotry where size acceptance is concerned, comes more from a place of ignorance and naivete. Some people who crack fat jokes, or laugh at fat jokes, may not be aware they are discriminating simply because we live in a conditioned society that tells us that fat is undesirable. Where they fail to connect the conditioning to the discrimination is that they fail to realize the perspective. We only ever see things at one perspective. Sometimes, all a person has is one perspective.

And this is where the ad works.

People who have to scratch their heads and wonder why the last joke is funny are people that can only see from their perspective. So, if they cared, they would try to figure it out and understand it. Why was that joke so bad? That is when someone who is at the other perspective, who sees why the last joke was so bad explains to them that the last joke, in spite of what society has inundated us with as far as the media is concerned about fat being undesirable, still insults an entire segment of the population. Then the person is challenged with the thought of: Is insulting an entire segment of the population REALLY that funny? If they were put off by the frst three jokes, they will understand it.

Sadly, there are people who still won't get it and no matter what context you put it in,they will either refuse to see the point, or the lack the maturity level to understand the point. We have to accept the fact that not everybody can be saved. I hate stupid people, but I tolerate them because there is nothing else that can be done with them. If they refuse to understand, they can't be forced to.

The ad works, but it won't work for everybody.

T_Devil

A Happy Disaster
In my mind, if you're comparing something to genocide that is anything besides, um, more genocide, your argument loses major credibility.
I will agree with this, though my credibility sucks anyways. There are levels of comparison and things on a genocidal level often have no equal. Perhaps torture, but that's getting political.

It's like Godwin's Law, any argument that draws in genocide as an example is doomed to fail.

I know people are going to point a finger at me and tell me that I've done exactly that same shit. Yeah, I know. I'm a shallow person, drown me. :rolleyes:
Your rep is in the mail.

superodalisque

yep, thats a great SA ad. i hope someone uses it. i wonder why NAAFA doesn't buy time and use stuff like this?

snipermb435

That was so fucked up! specially the jew and santa clause, but the discrimination towards women who are slightly pundgy, plump, fat or obease is so fucked up. that is like saying to a drug addict, why did god invent drugs?
so people could die, common people, sick fucks.

Sorry for the comparison, it is meant to get my point across, does that i am sure.

This isnt to say the message didn't get across, i did, loud and clear.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
That was so fucked up! specially the jew and santa clause, but the discrimination towards women who are slightly pundgy, plump, fat or obease is so fucked up. that is like saying to a drug addict, why did god invent drugs?
so people could die, common people, sick fucks.

Sorry for the comparison, it is meant to get my point across, does that i am sure.

This isnt to say the message didn't get across, i did, loud and clear.
I think you missed the point of the ad.

snipermb435

I think you missed the point of the ad.
I know i got pissed, but i got the fact, that all prejudice, racism, discrimination is harmful, hurtful and can mess with someone on so many different levels. i was jsut shocked that someone would make a video like that. but the point of the video to me, was, none of these should make you laugh, smirk, they should make you cringe in your seat and think hard before the next time to go to say something like this.

Does that answer your statement, or no? no offense taking by this, i am just trying to figure what other people perseption is towards this, thats all.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I know i got pissed, but i got the fact, that all prejudice, racism, discrimination is harmful, hurtful and can mess with someone on so many different levels. i was jsut shocked that someone would make a video like that. but the point of the video to me, was, none of these should make you laugh, smirk, they should make you cringe in your seat and think hard before the next time to go to say something like this.

Does that answer your statement, or no? no offense taking by this, i am just trying to figure what other people perseption is towards this, thats all.
I don't get how this video angered you. Like, what? They're not saying those things because they think it.. they're making a point..

MisterGuy

Yeah, I don't think comparing fat abuse with the holocaust is going to win many people over.

MisterGuy

Wanted to add that imo one of the reasons fat discrimination is more socially acceptable than sexism/racism/homophobia is the perception, fair or unfair, that being fat is a choice. Or rather that not losing weight is a choice. Clearly this is not always the case, but I don't think fat acceptance is going to be advanced using the argument that being mean to fatties is the same as being mean to black people.

Latest posts

Group builder