Post Clothing You Have Sewn/Made

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tracyarts

A knee length peasant-ish style tunic/dress made from a lightweight white linen fabric that has a butterfly burnout pattern. Whatever color is worn underneath shows through the sheer parts, I'll be wearing it over the light blue leggings and camisole I photographed it with. I used one of the Connie Crawford for Butterick patterns B5193 and modified the sleeves and neckline.

I have another identical one cut out in a pale muted lavender cotton eyelet fabric to sew as soon as I find serger thread in a close enough color match.

Tracy

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
A knee length peasant-ish style tunic/dress made from a lightweight white linen fabric that has a butterfly burnout pattern. Whatever color is worn underneath shows through the sheer parts, I'll be wearing it over the light blue leggings and camisole I photographed it with. I used one of the Connie Crawford for Butterick patterns B5193 and modified the sleeves and neckline.

I have another identical one cut out in a pale muted lavender cotton eyelet fabric to sew as soon as I find serger thread in a close enough color match.

Tracy
Oh cute...I'm gonna try sleeves soon. I have a pattern here for a basic button up shirt that I'm gonna try and that will be my first time. I've got some shirts here that I'm thinking of reverse engineering lol. Maybe I can figure out some sleeves that way too.

Very cute though. I love those type shirts with belts. Now that I've learned how to make belts, it's on like donkey kong lol

Gingembre

radar detector
I made this dress for summer weather. I got lots of compliments on the fabric. It's all tropical print, with lots of parrots, and everything is outlined in gold.
I LOVE LOVE LOVE this dress! I want one! Beautiful :)

Tracyarts

" Oh cute...I'm gonna try sleeves soon. "

Sleeves can be a little bit tricky, with fitting and attaching them into the armhole. But once you get the hang of it, you can change the length, fullness, and style without needing a different pattern.

Tracy

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
" Oh cute...I'm gonna try sleeves soon. "

Sleeves can be a little bit tricky, with fitting and attaching them into the armhole. But once you get the hang of it, you can change the length, fullness, and style without needing a different pattern.

Tracy
That's what I'm hoping to eventually achieve lol. Right now, I've been doing everything the hard way and pinning it on me, trying it on, adjusting, pinning it, trying it on. I figure I'll eventually get to where I can do it all easy peasy if I keep practicing. This whole learning process has been a lot of fun for me though.

Tracyarts

" Right now, I've been doing everything the hard way and pinning it on me, trying it on, adjusting, pinning it, trying it on. "

That's actually a good way to go.

One thing I do, is find a basic pattern I know I will use over and over again, and make it up in some cheap nonstretchy fabric that doesn't fray easily. In the fashion industry, it's called "making a muslin" because cheap muslin fabric works great. Once I've adjusted it to fit perfectly, I take it apart, and make notes on the fabric with a marker, and use the actual fabric pieces as a pattern. I can change up a lot of details by just laying the cloth pattern out on the garment fabric and making adjustment marks with chalk and rulers. Another plus is that fabric patterns grip a bit and don't slide around like paper patterns, and don't need much pinning. And they last forever, no worries about tearing fragile tissue paper.

Tracy

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
" Right now, I've been doing everything the hard way and pinning it on me, trying it on, adjusting, pinning it, trying it on. "

That's actually a good way to go.

One thing I do, is find a basic pattern I know I will use over and over again, and make it up in some cheap nonstretchy fabric that doesn't fray easily. In the fashion industry, it's called "making a muslin" because cheap muslin fabric works great. Once I've adjusted it to fit perfectly, I take it apart, and make notes on the fabric with a marker, and use the actual fabric pieces as a pattern. I can change up a lot of details by just laying the cloth pattern out on the garment fabric and making adjustment marks with chalk and rulers. Another plus is that fabric patterns grip a bit and don't slide around like paper patterns, and don't need much pinning. And they last forever, no tearing fragile tissue paper.

Tracy
I have thought about that for a minute myself lol. Well, I made mine more complicated and figured I would have to draw it and then cut it out of tissue paper. I will totally do that thank u

I've got this fabric here that I've been meaning to do something with. I have a tank top that I love but it's getting old. I think I'm gonna deconstruct it and make a new one with this other fabric based on the shirt pieces. We'll see how it goes lol

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
This is a lovely thread..

But pics...

Or the clothing didn't happen. :p
Lol I agree :)

Here's a tutu I made for my niece yesterday. The lace part is actually from an old lacey curtain that I've been looking for a way to use. I cut off the bottom lacey part and sewed it into the waist.

I'm sewing up a tank top today that I can wear tomorrow night for band practice. So I will post a pic tomorrow :)

View attachment PicsArt_1366575838074.jpg

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I plan on going through my box of fabric as soon as I feel better. I want to make some sun dresses since it's heating up. (Hurt my back and am incapacitated at the mo.)

Tracyarts

Knitted, not sewn.

I bought this pom-pom yarn on impulse at Michaels, since it was on clearance and I loved the colors. I wanted to use it to make a simple scarf, and it worked up really easily and quickly.

It looks awesome with this coral colored top and denim jacket. I've got jeans that are a close enough match to the jacket to pull the whole thing together. Hopefully the cool front that's supposed to be coming through towards the end of the week makes it here, because I want a chance to wear it before next Fall.

Tracy

katherine22

I love seeing this wonderful sewing. I just made a silk tunic. If you want to learn to sew get the Reader's Digest sewing book, the best sewing book particularly in learning pattern alteration. I may be fat but I am wearing good fabric.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
I love seeing this wonderful sewing. I just made a silk tunic. If you want to learn to sew get the Reader's Digest sewing book, the best sewing book particularly in learning pattern alteration. I may be fat but I am wearing good fabric.
Please post pics when u can :) I've been working on fabric size alterations here and there. It's a little difficult but I will look for that book at the library. It seems like I may have seen it.

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
I had planned to have my new shirt done a lot sooner but I stopped it for a while. I just have a hem left to do on the front of the shirt and I will be finished. I'm gonna do that today. I want to wear it with a certain pair of jeans but I busted the zipper out on those jeans so I'm gonna try to put in a new one *fingers crossed* lol. I've never done a zipper before. I'm hoping I can have it done before band practice Monday night so I can wear it there. I will take pics if I do :)

Tracyarts

Crocheted circle vest, 75% complete.

It's being worn in the photo by a size 22/24 who is about 5" shorter than me. So I still have a little bit more work to do before it's big and long enough to fit me the same way. I'll post more photos when I finish it, I was just excited about how well it's coming out! It's super simple to make; if you can make a double crochet hat or round coaster, you can make this vest.

I used this pattern: http://www.crochetspot.com/crochet-pattern-circular-vest-9-sizes/ The pattern is sized to a 5X (62" bust) and I made a couple very minor modifications for fit and length. If you wanted, you could pick up stitches around the armholes and crochet tubes for sleeves. But I'm keeping this one as a vest.

Tracy

Paul

I just finished sew a Jumper for my wife. I used the Simplicity pattern 2155. Here is the picture of the dress from the Simplicity web page.

The largest size the pattern came in was a size 24W. I had to increase the size to a 30W/32W. Since my wife is 6' 2" I also had to increase the height of the jumper. Here are some pictures I took today of the finished dress.

Reactions: Tad

Latest posts