Preference VS fetish.

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Status
Not open for further replies.

exile in thighville

groups/347570880589/
i've always said that dims needs to be two sites, a work-safe one and a NSFW one. except it should really just give up the NSFW one.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Here's a question for you? Does it matter whether that stat was pulled out of her ass or not?

I have worked in several offices since my time on Dims since '97. In every case, I was unable to access this site. I think most people who are in the workforce will tell you the same.

Whether it's a lazy IT person, or someone who doesn't appreciate fat people, I think it's safe to say that most places disallow access to this site in the workplace.

So true and even in places that do allow internet access to most sites- some things are just plain common sense after awhile... the amount of time that a person can spend on sites such as Dims- ESPN - Online Shopping etc. is monitored by the Company.

Some places say yes you can logon -but, you have to use discretion on when you do logon (during lunch time or after work ).

That's why Firms terminated folks that chose to do "Day Trading" on the company dime.

Yes, I think it does matter whether she pulled it out of her ass or not. Just because one or two people have experienced something doesn't make it true for the thousands of people who access this site everyday. Maybe it is true, matter of fact I wouldn't be surprised if it was, but you can't base 99% of your 'argument' on a statistic you made up.

Statistics just gives information for that particular set of data at that time or time that the study was done. As far as Internet usage on work time- the only thing that matters is the policy of the company that you are working at.

Though given the tight and uncertain job market- more folks may be worried about keeping their job vs. whether they have full internet access or not

Fascinita

Jeez, we're blessed!
What exactly is your point? I don't think you understand the motivation behind wanting a disclaimer.
The disclaimer, as I understand it in terms of the discussion in this thread, is to discourage people who use the library from assuming that fantasy talk that portrays fat abuse and hatred of fat people is acceptable elsewhere on the board. In other words, it is to emphasize the line between fantasy talk and real interactions on the boards.

Likewise, a password would emphasize the boundaries between the Real and the Imaginary by making clear that one is "opting in" to the fantasy talk.

We already have a disclaimer that purports to tell those who might be offended by some material that the material may, in fact, be offensive.

This is not about fat people's overly sensitive natures.

This is about Dimensions finally taking a stance making it clear that it values and protects the interests of all fat people (not just fat people who enjoy fantasy), even as it welcomes people who enjoy fantasy (among whom there are a number of fat people.)

Fallenangel2904

Fat Fashionista
Here's a question for you? Does it matter whether that stat was pulled out of her ass or not?

I have worked in several offices since my time on Dims since '97. In every case, I was unable to access this site. I think most people who are in the workforce will tell you the same.

Whether it's a lazy IT person, or someone who doesn't appreciate fat people, I think it's safe to say that most places disallow access to this site in the workplace.
I'd like to note its also disabled from my College's server. It says it contains sexually explicit content as being the reason it's blocked. There is sexual material on here, but It's not a pay site or anything- that I could obviously see them blocking. It irritates me to no end that I can't get on here when at school lol.

bdog

Statistics just gives information for that particular set of data at that time or time that the study was done. As far as Internet usage on work time- the only thing that matters is the policy of the company that you are working at.
I think she was objecting to the willy nilly use of a percentage/statistic. If most of my friends like reading books I'm not going to say, "80% of people like reading books."

For the record, I've worked at three companies since being a member of Dims and none of them blocked this site nor any sites, for that matter.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL

Though given the tight and uncertain job market- more folks may be worried about keeping their job vs. whether they have full internet access or not
I think she was objecting to the willy nilly use of a percentage/statistic. If most of my friends like reading books I'm not going to say, "80% of people like reading books."
Yeah, that was my point. It just seems like if you're going to make a loaded statement like DIMENSIONS IS A FETISH SITE then you should probably not back it up with a statistic that you made up, especially if that's the only thing you're using to back it up.

elroycohen

Steampunk Psycho
The disclaimer, as I understand it in terms of the discussion in this thread, is to discourage people who use the library from assuming that fantasy talk that portrays fat abuse and hatred of fat people is acceptable elsewhere on the board. In other words, it is to emphasize the line between fantasy talk and real interactions on the boards.

Likewise, a password would emphasize the boundaries between the Real and the Imaginary by making clear that one is "opting in" to the fantasy talk.

We already have a disclaimer that purports to tell those who might be offended by some material that the material may, in fact, be offensive.

This is not about fat people's overly sensitive natures.

This is about Dimensions finally taking a stance making it clear that it values and protects the interests of all fat people (not just fat people who enjoy fantasy), even as it welcomes people who enjoy fantasy (among whom there are a number of fat people.)
You know where I think the whole disclaimer/password system would really work is on the Discussion Boards. A disclaimer would give all the newbies fair warning before they jump in unaware with some naïve comment about how they don’t find skinny women attractive and then get swiftly cut down by some 3,000 post veteran who had a bad day at work. Alot of hurt feelings could be avoided by this disclaimer idea.

The password system would also allow people to “opt in” to the discussions that are quite often vicious and immature. I know I sure would have appreciated something like that. I haven’t been out here very long and I already feel dirty and abused.:(

Fascinita

Jeez, we're blessed!
You know where I think the whole disclaimer/password system would really work is on the Discussion Boards. A disclaimer would give all the newbies fair warning before they jump in unaware with some naïve comment about how they don’t find skinny women attractive and then get swiftly cut down by some 3,000 post veteran who had a bad day at work. Alot of hurt feelings could be avoided by this disclaimer idea.

The password system would also allow people to “opt in” to the discussions that are quite often vicious and immature. I know I sure would have appreciated something like that. I haven’t been out here very long and I already feel dirty and abused.:(
Since this is a site that purports to cater to fat people and their admirers, but not one that claims to cater to "newbs and their admirers" in particular, I'm afraid your post above is irrelevant to the discussion. But you know that, don't you? ;)

I'm sorry you haven't felt welcomed. Please enjoy this photo of a missed target as a gift.

Oh! Zut alors!

Santaclear

User
You know where I think the whole disclaimer/password system would really work is on the Discussion Boards. A disclaimer would give all the newbies fair warning before they jump in unaware with some naïve comment about how they don’t find skinny women attractive and then get swiftly cut down by some 3,000 post veteran who had a bad day at work. A lot of hurt feelings could be avoided by this disclaimer idea.

I hadn't read any of your posts prior to this thread but going by my first impression you do seem dirty and abused.

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
Yeah, but you've already participated in that. A story would bring something fresh and exciting to the table. Then you can spend even more time telling people how they should feel and think. Its a win for everyone!

Or hijack a completely unrelated thread and whine about it for 40 pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts