Random health related "confessions"

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I didn't know where to put...HALLELUJAH i'm finally getting an MRI TODAY!
Haha. I've been waiting so long to get into an open bore MRI machines.

I think it would be funny to see things like...."THANK GOD I got my period" or i'm SO HAPPY IT'S NOT HERPES.

:p

TraciJo67

I didn't know where to put...HALLELUJAH i'm finally getting an MRI TODAY!
Haha. I've been waiting so long to get into an open bore MRI machines.

I think it would be funny to see things like...."THANK GOD I got my period" or i'm SO HAPPY IT'S NOT HERPES.

:p
A few weeks ago, after a vague (and horrified) suspicion, I took a home pregnancy test. Positive. Then had my husband run out and get another. Positive. I felt the tetonic plates of my entire existence come slamming painfully together. While I would have delighted in such news even 3-4 years ago, I'm 43 and my husband is 46 and ... just ... no. Relieved (and I will admit just a teeeeeeny bit sad) to report that I went to the doctor and had a blood serum test done to confirm that Jeebus didn't part the Red Sea :)D) for me. Follow up to be done later this month to rule out any troubling reasons for why I got 2 false positives but my doctor says that the most likely explanation is defective testing strips or hormonal interference from peri-menopause. So my health confession is that I'm damn glad, for once, that I've joined the 'aging' population :D

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
A few weeks ago, after a vague (and horrified) suspicion, I took a home pregnancy test. Positive. Then had my husband run out and get another. Positive. I felt the tetonic plates of my entire existence come slamming painfully together. While I would have delighted in such news even 3-4 years ago, I'm 43 and my husband is 46 and ... just ... no. Relieved (and I will admit just a teeeeeeny bit sad) to report that I went to the doctor and had a blood serum test done to confirm that Jeebus didn't part the Red Sea :)D) for me. Follow up to be done later this month to rule out any troubling reasons for why I got 2 false positives but my doctor says that the most likely explanation is defective testing strips or hormonal interference from peri-menopause. So my health confession is that I'm damn glad, for once, that I've joined the 'aging' population :D
Whoa. Us women have the craziest bodies.

Glad it's worked out in your favour..hopefully they figure out what's going on. We all eat so many hormones in our foods now and who knows what we breathe or what's in our water that could twig these things.

Missy9579

Formerly BigCutieViolet!
I have to spread rep around before giving it to you TraciJo :-(.

But I am glad you got the answer you wanted

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
The MRI was a success.

I felt like a human burrito stuffed in a tube surrounded by Radiohead out-takes and remixes.

Tania

Disneyland Bobsled Team
You're brave! I get really claustrophobic, so I'm pretty sure I'd freak out during an MRI.

Here's my confession. I've aged into a new demographic group. I'm 35. That means - drumroll! - BASELINE MAMMOGRAM. I did it. It was weird. I survived. No issues. Also got my regular bloodwork done and nothing out of the ordinary except slightly elevated cholesterol. That said, my cholesterol is down like 15 points and juuuust shy of "no worries." Pap smear is ok too.

Thank God. Because for some reason, I'm terrified of cervical cancer. I don't have any familial predisposition or anything, but I'm still just...eek.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL

AMEN!!!! :p

Whoa. Us women have the craziest bodies.

Glad it's worked out in your favour..hopefully they figure out what's going on. We all eat so many hormones in our foods now and who knows what we breathe or what's in our water that could twig these things.
The MRI was a success.
YEAH SURLY!!!!

IC I had 2 ocular migraines in less then 24 hours; they are really weird, you are kinda blind with bright light and swirly things blocking you from seeing anything dead on, just peripherally. The 2nd happened yesterday after I lifted w/trainer at gym and was on Elipitical...so NOT COOL AT ALL....

as life has it, i had an appt w/Gyno yesterday and discovered my BP was high and I just ignorantly stopped taking BP Meds for no good reason :doh:
what a moron i am for being educated somewhat...she prescribed a BP med that i wear as a patch for a week at a time, and side effect is it *MIGHT* help my thermostat from raging up/down like it does, despite all the good positive things i do from my female body....end of story...aging is a b_itch...but really is it? we wouldn't have done this to ourselves....aging and female bodies must have been designed by a BIG MEAN DICK

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I officially have MS.
After finally getting my MRI last month, the results came in and the neurologist at UBC confirmed my suspicions.

Thankfully I haven't had a major episode since the first one, just effects (shakiness, exhaustion, heat intolerance, balance issues). My main concern was getting the proper 'team' in place in case I have another episode. Now I can get in to see the MS team at the University and the MRI machine is just across the bridge. (I'll have to get one at least once a year)

Even thought I knew in my heart of hearts I had this disease, it's still over-whelming.

I've been struggling for quite awhile to be 'happy'. In some form or another. But running away a) isn't my style and b) won't get me anywhere
I haven't told everyone in my life about the diagnosis. But my 'real' life doesn't visit me here and it feels good to get it off my chest.

(Cross-posted in BHM/FFA land)

TraciJo67

Surly, I'm sorry that this diagnosis was confirmed. I'm sure that it's something of a relief just to know, to not have to worry and wonder and fit this symptom into that potential illness, etc. I wish you the very best, and hope that you quickly find a way to fit this new reality into your life in a way that can still bring you optimal peace of mind.

Also, bad news SUCKS and I'm sorry that you didn't get better news :(

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Surly, I'm sorry that this diagnosis was confirmed. I'm sure that it's something of a relief just to know, to not have to worry and wonder and fit this symptom into that potential illness, etc. I wish you the very best, and hope that you quickly find a way to fit this new reality into your life in a way that can still bring you optimal peace of mind.

Also, bad news SUCKS and I'm sorry that you didn't get better news :(

Thanks, lady. It's been quite the journey so far. :)

mossystate

flicks a booger on conrad
Surly, sorry about the shitty news. Use wherever to unload.
--

My hair is thinning, and I am losing some. Have never had thick hair, but I am losing some on top of my head and it is depressing the fuck out of me. Thinking that a high-normal thyroid reading on a blood test last year, coupled with oodles of stress...something is up.

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Surly, sorry about the shitty news. Use wherever to unload.
--

My hair is thinning, and I am losing some. Have never had thick hair, but I am losing some on top of my head and it is depressing the fuck out of me. Thinking that a high-normal thyroid reading on a blood test last year, coupled with oodles of stress...something is up.

Thanks, M. :)

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I officially have MS.
After finally getting my MRI last month, the results came in and the neurologist at UBC confirmed my suspicions.

Thankfully I haven't had a major episode since the first one, just effects (shakiness, exhaustion, heat intolerance, balance issues). My main concern was getting the proper 'team' in place in case I have another episode. Now I can get in to see the MS team at the University and the MRI machine is just across the bridge. (I'll have to get one at least once a year)

Even thought I knew in my heart of hearts I had this disease, it's still over-whelming.

I've been struggling for quite awhile to be 'happy'. In some form or another. But running away a) isn't my style and b) won't get me anywhere
I haven't told everyone in my life about the diagnosis. But my 'real' life doesn't visit me here and it feels good to get it off my chest.

(Cross-posted in BHM/FFA land)
Sorry about the diagnosis, T. I know you've been going through a lot of crap. Hugs and hey, this is an unloading zone so.....

Miss Vickie

Shit, Surly, that sucks. I'm so sorry, honey. From one autoimmune suffer to another, I gotta tell you -- I hate that this has happened to you.

I like your attitude, though, and your plan to get a good team in place. That's always been my way of handling my illness(es). I think your attitude and smarts will help you get the very best care.

And you know I'm always available if you need a virtual shoulder or someone in the medical field to talk to.

Hugs to you...

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Shit, Surly, that sucks. I'm so sorry, honey. From one autoimmune suffer to another, I gotta tell you -- I hate that this has happened to you.

I like your attitude, though, and your plan to get a good team in place. That's always been my way of handling my illness(es). I think your attitude and smarts will help you get the very best care.

And you know I'm always available if you need a virtual shoulder or someone in the medical field to talk to.

Hugs to you...

Thanks, lady! I always appreciate your advice and knowledge on medical issues so I might just hit you up for some more info. :)

Right now I feel pretty good as I only have the effects of it. My major episose was a few years ago so i'm hoping that they are few and far between. The one thing that has surprised me in all of this stuff (MS and diabetes) is that you really have to be pro-active with your own health care. But if you ask, you'll find what you need in most cases.

One foot in front of the other.

I hope you're feeling better yourself. Getting older sucks!

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
HDL "Good" Cholesterol - 31 mg/dl ( needs to be greater than 40 in men )
LDL "Bad" Cholesterol - 90 mg/dl ( 120 or less, optimal )
VLDL Trigylercides - 300 mg/dl (150 or less, optimal)

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
I confess to being completely overwhelmed health wise.

Right now i'm exhausted.

My left ankle is still tender from the fall/sprain. My right foot has plantar fasciitis. When I get overheated I get shaky legs from the MS.

And depression. The biggest. So I eat emotionally and that's so great for my stupid diabetes.

Blend it all up and I feel done. Done.
:(

Miss Vickie

Oh, honey. I'm sorry. I know just how you feel. :( It just gets overwhelming sometimes, doesn't it? One thing after another, each building on the other.

Are you have any kind of talk therapy to help you deal with all these diagnoses? I'm sorry if you've talked about this before. I've got one of my headaches (sigh) and need to get offline but wanted to let you know I hear you, loud and clear.

I hope you feel better soon, Surlysomething. I know this is hard. :(

Surlysomething

In Remembrance
In Remembrance
Oh, honey. I'm sorry. I know just how you feel. :( It just gets overwhelming sometimes, doesn't it? One thing after another, each building on the other.

Are you have any kind of talk therapy to help you deal with all these diagnoses? I'm sorry if you've talked about this before. I've got one of my headaches (sigh) and need to get offline but wanted to let you know I hear you, loud and clear.

I hope you feel better soon, Surlysomething. I know this is hard. :(
Thanks, you always cheer me up.

Unfortunately the chronic health counseling program that I was going to has been cancelled by the government. We're all so furious. Finally a program that works and they've decided to earmark the money for "street people". :(

I can see my counselor privately on a sliding scale so I just need to find the money for it. :eek:

Sorry about your headache. Hopefully it doesn't last too long.