recent article in Vox

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

DazzlingAnna

DM Supporter
I pick that one quote of the article...

"Despite having what was described as a “very pretty face,” I was constantly reminded that my body was impossible to want."

She refers to people telling her that her face was nice but her body wasn't.
Most people in my past didn't refer to my face as beautiful but only to my eyes.

I know that it is quite common to mention someone eyes as a compliment. (And i do have beautiful eyes. 😉)

It is strange how some words, clearly meant as a compliment were able to ruin my day. I noticed the compliment but what I also heard was: you are fat and nothing on your body is worth to mention it except your eyes or personality.

My mindset has changed over the last years. I can accept compliments now, whether for eyes or personality. Even for my body.

edit:
Here is what might explain my way thinking: most comments I received in my whole life referring to my body were insulting, devaluating and nasty.

Last edited:

agouderia

Library Girl
Staff member
Library Mod
"This is among the greatest triumphs of anti-fatness: It stops us before we start."

Never read a truer sentence. Thank you for posting the article Tad!

Aqw

DM Supporter
I pick that one quote of the article...

"Despite having what was described as a “very pretty face,” I was constantly reminded that my body was impossible to want."

She refers to people telling her that her face was nice but her body wasn't.
Most people in my past didn't refer to my face as beautiful but only to my eyes.

I know that it is quite common to mention someone eyes as a compliment. (And i do have beautiful eyes. 😉)

It is strange how some words, clearly meant as a compliment were able to ruin my day. I noticed the compliment but what I also heard was: you are fat and nothing on your body is worth to mention it except your eyes or personality.

My mindset has changed over the last years. I can accept compliments now, whether for eyes or personality. Even for my body.

edit:
Here is what might explain my way thinking: most comments I received in my whole life referring to my body were insulting, devaluating and nasty.
Not only the eyes, or the face, or the hair. But also a beautiful body and a terrific personality

Latest posts