• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Romantic Comedies Make Us "Unrealistic" About Relationships?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Donna

Well, bless your heart!
Ran across this article online the other day, but this is the first time I have had time to sit and digest it. It's a very interesting article, and I even took the time to complete the survey and I think I learned some things about myself as I was completing it. And reminded me of something I wrote in my CH-blog back in October about the subject:

I love schmaltzy immature romance, both in books and at the movies. But if I overindulge in them, I start feeling like real life should be like a romance novel. And that there should always be a happy ending, with everything tied up in a neat little bow. Real life just isn't that way (I know, I am the queen of stating the obvious am I not?) Real life is complicated. Endings are rarely happy. Beginnings aren't always smooth. The people in our lives don't always say the perfect, most romantic sentiment right at the moment it is most needed. (Not to say they don't say it either...sometimes they say something so romantic and sweet it takes your breath away.) But it doesn't happen all the time and sometimes it doesn't happen when we really, really need to hear it.

But I started thinking about the article and the findings of the study by the researchers at Heriot Watt University which is referenced heavily in the article linked above. Do romance novels and movies make us more unrealistic about love? I had the thought tonight that perhaps the proliferation and popularity of romance literature/cinema might be a by-product of our need for such uncomplicated romance, not the cause. Is an uncomplicated romantic relationship possible? Do complications make romance any more or less worthwhile?

Latest posts

Back