So... anime lovers...

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis
...I know you're out there! :D

I guess basically I'd like to start a thread asking you guys what some of your favorite shows are? I've kinda run out of animes to watch, so... looking for something new.

I just tried watching "Descendants of Darkness" because I figured it had a badass enough name, but it was so fucking [unacceptable descriptive deleted by moderator] (in a creepy way) that I had to stop after just a couple of episodes. No offense to anyone who likes the show, but I'm more of an Elfen Lied kind of person. :p

Anyways, I guess I'll throw my own recommendations out there, but I'd love to hear what YOUR favorite animes are. Here are a few that I enjoyed - conveniently listed from favorite to least favorite for your convenience. ;) xD

Code Geass
Hellsing Ultimate
Fullmetal Alchemist
Death Note
Elfen Lied
Baccano
Blood+
Darker than Black
D. Gray Man
Devil May Cry
Chobits
Tokko
Trigun

...and before anyone suggests I watch Bleach: I gave it a try, not my cup of tea. :) But to those who haven't watched it yet, at least give it a try, because apparently it's supposed to be good. xD

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
My Top of ze top Favorites:

(Not in any particular order.)

Vampire Princess Miyu
Hellsing
Trigun
Boogiepop Phantom
Gungrave
Serial Experiment Lain
Hell Girl
Big O
.Hack//Sign
Gatekeepers 21 ( I think?.. It was on when "G4" Was TechTV still, and it was on one of their Anime Blocks.. :doh: )

Also?
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis

Vampire Princess Miyu
Hellsing
Trigun
Boogiepop Phantom
Gungrave
Serial Experiment Lain
Hell Girl
Big O
.Hack//Sign
Gatekeepers 21 ( I think?.. It was on when "G4" Was TechTV still, and it was on one of their Anime Blocks.. :doh: )

Also?
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex
Nice! Thanks for sharing :) I recognize Gungrave... maybe that's something to look into next! :D

AmazingAmy

Serial Experiment Lain
Will second this! I sold all my Lain DVDs off in my teens for feeble change, but it was definitely one of my favourites... I'm struggling to remember others, though. I only got a little through Haibane Renmei a long time ago but couldn't afford to carry on. I'm also a huge fan of anything Studio Ghibli, but that goes without saying for all of us, right? :happy: Howl's Moving Castle is by far my favourite. Need I say why?

The last one I watched was brilliant, and had amazing characterisation: The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. I may watch it again soon!

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
You know what? That Reminds me!

As Much as I LOVE Hayao Miyazaki films, I've yet to see "Howls Moving Castle" :eek:!

But, when it comes to him, I have a top three:

1) Porco Rosso, Hands Down. :wubu:
2) Spirited Away
3) Kiki's Delivery Service

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
I love love love anime.

Here are a few series that I've watched that are coming to mind, listed in no particular order:

Elfen Lied
Trigun
Trinity Blood
Death Note
Lain
Ergo Proxy (LOVE)
Vampire Knight/Guilty
Rosen Maiden
Claymore
Gankutsuou
Antique Bakery
Air
Kuroshitsuji
Shigofumi
Ef- a tale of memories
Mushishis

Some good shorts are Kigeki and Pale Cocoon.

I've watched some small chunks of others, and some others I just never got around to finishing.

Reactions: Ola

fat9276

You know what? That Reminds me!

As Much as I LOVE Hayao Miyazaki films, I've yet to see "Howls Moving Castle" :eek:!

But, when it comes to him, I have a top three:

1) Porco Rosso, Hands Down. :wubu:
2) Spirited Away
3) Kiki's Delivery Service
You have to see Howls Moving Castle...it is great! :D

Miyazaki are my all time faves... in the original Japanese these movies are the best!! Don't forget the best one Princess Mononoke!
I saw this the first time when I was staying in Japan and was blown away by it's weird characters and gorgeous anime. Also a lady I knew while in Japan burnt a CD of the main song in the credits, but my sister lost it :(

A new one was just released not too long ago... I forget the name... about a fish who becomes a boy or vice versa.... grrrr... I will have to look it up....Ponyo or something like that...

olwen

Disco Bear
Some shows I've enjoyed:

Love Hina - an actually funny romantic comedy with an interesting premise
Neon Genesis Evangelion
(there are several volumes) - mecca I watched several seasons of this show on DVD in one sitting. Not recommended. The action sequences started to blend together and become tiresome, and made me want to yell at the screen. Space it out.
Cowboy Beebop - action drama, best musical score ever.I think the composer has won awards for it.
Shin Chan - comedy
Ramna 1/2
- comedy
Ghost in the Shell - action drama
There's always the disturbing long running show Sailor Moon
There's a ton of old mecca shows, just pick one, they're all pretty much the same.
There's also a ton of fighter shows, there are several incarnations of Dragonball (Z, Z Kai, etc). Start from the beginning.
I liked Inuyasha despite myself. I really wanted to hate it, but the show is kind of addictive.
I recently watched Afro Samurai (action) and freaking loved it.
And so far, the show I can't seem to get enough of is Avatar:The Last Airbender (it's got everything). Not sure if it qualifies as anime, but the show is far better than the movie and terribly addictive. I love that show. Plus the animation for the final showdown in the last season is effing amazing.
I recall watching Fushigi Yugi years and years ago, but can't remember if I liked it or what it was about.
I tried really hard to get into Death Note, Bleach, and some of the other action ones that Adult Swim airs, but the only one I could get into was Ghost in the Shell simply because I had already seen the movie that came years before the show.
.Hack//sign is either weird and interesting or pretentious and over reaching depending on how you look at it.

I'm sure a quick google search will turn up several dozen lists of shows along with synopsis and production notes too.

olwen

Disco Bear
Thought of some others

Bubblegum Crisis Tokyo 2040 (tho at the moment I can't remember if it's a movie or a show)
Gundam Seed
Samurai Champloo (I like the music)
Trigun
Ninja Scroll
Yu Yu Hakusho - not my fave, but still worth a viewing. It seems kinda campy to me.
Escaflowne

Still a Skye fan

Normalcy is overrated
~Raises his box of Pocky in salute~

Yup, another anime fan here. What do I like? Pretty much everything has been listed already:

COWBOY BEBOP (My favorite!)

SAMURAI CHAMPLOO

NINJA SCROLL

BASTARD!

BATTLE ANGEL ALITA (aka GUNNM...spelling?)

ANYTHING by Miyazaki-Sama or Studio Ghibli: PONYO, HOWL'S MOVING CASTLE...they're all beautifully made pieces of work. Watch them in Japanese and read the subtitles...they're worth it!

PARANOIA AGENT and anything else by Satoshi Kon (Tokyo Godfathers, Paprika, Perfect Blue, Millenium Actress, etc...)

GHOST IN THE SHELL...both movies and the TV series

TRIGUN

CHOBITS

READ OR DIE

METROPOLIS...this is the fantastic adaptation of the Osamu Tezuka manga directed by one of his proteges, Rintaro. Speaking of Tezuka...I still enjoy the original ASTRO BOY anime.

GIGANTOR

8TH MAN

RUROUNI KENSHIN

INU YASHA

COYOTE RAGTIME SHOW

NAJICA BLITZ TACTICS

FULL METAL ALCHEMIST

CUTIE HONEY:p

Oh well, that's just a brief list of what I enjoy...my collection is at home and I'm not, right now. I'm forgetting many other titles but I've been an anime fan for years.

Dennis

AmazingAmy

Escaflowne
I totally forgot about this! It used to be on the Sky kid's channels when I was younger, so I caught it a lot then; but I can't remember any of the characters names? That uber-charming blonde knight was both cringeworthy and hot at the same time... I wouldn't have been so damn coy around him as she was. :wubu:

furious styles

goodbye halcyon days
cowboy bebop is a classic. i prefer movies and OAVs to series in general.

FLCL
akira
ghost in the shell
samurai x : trust and betrayal

pretty much any miyazaki or satoshi kon

FatAndProud

I watch any gory anime.

So far:

Vampire Hunter D
Gantz
Hellsing
Ninja Resurrection
xxxHolic
Berserk
Zombie Loan
and more...but I can't remember off the top of my head

Anime type movies:
Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke

TV Series:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Street Fighter

anddddd this is where I get most of my recommendations because I don't have a circle of friends into anime :(

Reactions: Ola

Amaranthine

Adamant Anti-Nihilist
Oh, also www.anime-planet.com is AWESOME. It has reviews and lets you keep track of which animes you've watched and what episode you're currently on. Does the same for manga.

^.^

Ola

Keeper of 'tinis
Thanks everyone, I've got a whole pile of new animes to check out now! :D Hugs and kisses to everyone, even if you're man-dudes! :wubu: (It's ok if you're European :p )

I watch any gory anime.

So far:

Vampire Hunter D
Gantz
Hellsing
Ninja Resurrection
xxxHolic
Berserk
Zombie Loan
and more...but I can't remember off the top of my head

Anime type movies:
Little Nemo: Adventures in Slumberland
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke

TV Series:
Cowboy Bebop
Trigun
Street Fighter

anddddd this is where I get most of my recommendations because I don't have a circle of friends into anime :(
Zombie Loan? Never heard of, even tohugh I'm obsessed with zombies! :eek: Must be investigated right away! :D

Thanks for the link and the rest of the list too, very helpful since I suspect a lot of these shows gravitate towards the kinds of genres I'm into. :bow:

Oh, also www.anime-planet.com is AWESOME. It has reviews and lets you keep track of which animes you've watched and what episode you're currently on. Does the same for manga.

^.^
Nice! Gonna have to check that out too! :)

Thanks again everyone! In return, I bring you one of the most fucked up pieces of anime I have ever watched. Highly recommended though, it's stuffed with Win and Epicness, even though you have no idea what's going on half of the time! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHEHprykKTc

Adamantoise

Senpai hasn't noticed...
It's about time I dragged my sorry arse in here ;).

I love Ghost In The Shell-both the first film and the Stand Alone Complex. I used to watch the Sci-Fi channel quite a bit,and I would stay up late on Friday Nights to catch whatever film they were showing. It's thanks to the sci-fi channel that I heard of,and became a fan of,various anime-examples include Ghost in the Shell,Tenchi Muyo!,Devilman and Slayers (I love Naga's laugh,and I don't care who nows it!). :bow:

Also,Cowboy Bebop ftw. :)

olwen

Disco Bear
Has anyone ever got the feeling like they've watched so much anime and read so many manga over the years that it's all starting to run together? :doh:

Latest posts