sociological trend or bad generalization?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Tragdor

Abide
I have noticed that many younger BBWs in my region seem to wear sandels in greater proportion to there skinny sisters. Is this a trend or am I just obversiving this because I like looking a larger girls more then skinny ones?

What is everybody's thoughts on the matter?

waitingforsuperman

annmarie says i'm snarky
sandals in september? *totally confused*

that's all. i've got nothing. maybe a fat girl can answer this question.

TallFatSue

I'm 48 and love sandals in nice weather -- yes, even in September or October. My mother told me it was a cardinal sin to wear summer clothes before Memorial Day or after Labor Day*, but I'm built for comfort as much as for looks, so I break lotsa rules. :) This will be our last warm day in Ohio, so I might finally put my summer clothes into storage this week.

Sandals are realllly comfy because at my weight, my feet need to be nice and flexible. My size 13 feet tend to spread out as the day goes on too, so shoes don't fit as well by the end of the day. Around the house and in my office at work I'm barefoot half the time which feels great on the carpet (it's good to be the boss).**

Regarding shoes, I usually wear flats because at 450lb high heels hurt my feet, and besides 6ft is tall enough for me. Yep, one cool thing about being so fat is it gives me a great excuse to think independently.

Sue

* For our international readers: Memorial Day = last Monday in May, Labor Day = first Monday in September.
** Maybe I'm an overgrown Hobbit. My feet are big enough, but at least they're nice and smooth and feminine. No hair, though.

fatlane

Starting Arvist
Hear that? Being fat means you're no longer a slave to fashion, public pressure, or advertising. Except maybe chocolate-related ads... Still, small price to pay for the huge freedoms of hugeness!

New NH state motto: LIVE FREE OR DIET!

MissToodles

dead peasant
Maybe it's some type of sandal coven? I notice everyone here fat or thin wears those damned flip-flops. They are terrible for your feet and provide very little arch support. Ouch.

Ned Sonntag

Outermost Hoodoo Doctor
I'm now in my {{shudder}} mid50s and I'm wearing more sandals & moccasins... and i have some great shoes. It's the bending-over, or wish to avoid it. Plus being a SSBBW traps body heat and naked toes provide release. Plus it's that free-spirit hippie-chick thing.

Tina

Older and wiser now
If, like me, you have Flintstone feet, it can be hard to find shoes. I tend to wear Birkenstocks a lot because of that.

Wilson Barbers

Full-time Fanta-sizer
MissToodles said:
I notice everyone here fat or thin wears those damned flip-flops. They are terrible for your feet and provide very little arch support. Ouch.

The very real perils of flip-flops (as opposed to good sandals): last time I wore a pair, I unknowingly got ‘em wet on the bottom walking by the dog watering dish. When I nonchalantly stepped on the basement stairs to retrieve some laundry, my traction-free flip-flops slid out from under me and I fell and slid all the way down. The bruise took up the whole left side of my torso, and I spent an afternoon in the emergency room . . .

No more flip-flops for me.

LillyBBBW

Wig Snatcher
Comfort's the name of the game. I breathed a sigh of relief when warm weather came about so I could forget about those awful clod hoppers and wear something comfortable for a change. I'm definitely dragging the season out. I find ALL shoes to be excruciatingly uncomfortable because they never ever fit me right and I spend the whole season praying for warm weather again.

Anyway, that's my story.

Tragdor

Abide
waitingforsuperman said:
sandals in september? *totally confused*

that's all. i've got nothing. maybe a fat girl can answer this question.

Well I do live in Wisconsin, 50 degree weather is is still considered tee-shirt weather here:p

waitingforsuperman

annmarie says i'm snarky
Tragdor said:
Well I do live in Wisconsin, 50 degree weather is is still considered tee-shirt weather here

yeah, i can dig that. i'm in california.

as for shoes, i haven't worn a pair of shoes that didn't have a star and say "chuck taylor" on the side in... 5 years? at least.

missaf

Shoes aren't allowed to be worn in my house, unless they're slippers that stay in doors. It's a cultural thing I learned from Korean friends. So we have shoes you can slip on and off at the door. Sandals mostly. I have tennis shoes for the days we go on long walks because I wear a size 11 in women's and have FLAT feet. My arches never formed, and instead of paying insane prices for orthotics for my shoes, I buy Reebok sandals that mold to my feet for $10, and New Balance of Reebok tennies that have high arch supports.

I buy nothing but the best shoes for my kid tho. Stride Rites have helped his little feet. At 5, he's building a good arch already and won't have the same foot problems I did. He loves his sandals, too :)

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
Neither, it's just in fashion right now.... sandals of all types were HUGE this year.

JaidenSinead

I would rather wear a more comfy shoe than the heels and boots that is required of me in the workplace. I have Birks but I was told you wear them to long and you get flat footed and when you try to wear heels again you are in for a wild ride!

TallFatSue

Ned Sonntag said:
Plus being a SSBBW traps body heat and naked toes provide release.
'Tis true, now that you mention it, and I'm often barefoot as well as bare-armed and bare-legged in warm weather too: shorts or short skirts, and short sleeves or no sleeves. I do dress fashionably and professionally, but I gotta be cool and comfy too, because the melted look just won't do.

wtchmel

Yes, comfort is the name of the game. Also, alot of fat women also have fat or swelled feet, and it's hard to squash the feet into something that doesn't fit well.Sandals can allow alot more room for this. Birkenstocks are great for that, and i have lived in thongs(i'm old school, i call them thongs, some call them flip flops) all summer and winter. I also think that carrying around the extra poundage can add to feet problems(at least for me it does) and the less confining the better. I have bone spurs which poke into the achilies tendon, therefore I wear no shoe with a back, it's sandals or mules or clogs for me. (or a Dansko style shoe/clog, as with Dankso, the back of your heel naturally slips out of the shoe).

exile in thighville

groups/347570880589/
i hate sandals. i hate sandals. i hate sandals. i never bought this bullshit about them being comfortable. i guess they're comfortable, if you think little death daggers in between your toes barely holding your foot in place on top of a defective foam pancake, is comfortable. they're a waste of money..you can like, build your own, out of styrofoam and twigs (plus a sprinkle of bubonic plague), yet they sell for the same price as sneakers sometimes. they trap sand, bad smells and babies. i guess they're cuter with adorable puffy little bbw feet sticking out of them, but what isn't? ah-ah. sandals ride the short bus to the shoe store, no matter what time of year it is. and if you wear socks with sandals, i'm going to fly a plane through your skull.

Latest posts