Quantcast

The all-purpose sewing thread (with bonus confessions)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Gingembre

radar detector
Wow, you ladies are amazing! I cant sew to save my life...I tried to learn at school but everything I do ends up looking very much home made and not very wearable! And I'm totally not patient enough to complete a project. So props to y'all who can make pretty clothes. :)

Jennifer72

I'm so glad that I found this thread! I've been teaching myself to sew over the past recent months. I've done a couple of tops and one dress (that didn't come out so well. lol) But, my latest passion is for handbags. Here's a pic of my very first bag. The graphic on the front of the bag was designed by me also. :)

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
wow, that bag is awesome! I want to make myself a crazy quilt purse one of these days. Like when i can sit on the couch without a baby tapping on my feet and fussing to make me pick him up :)

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
I can vouch - it looked AWESOME. I asked her where she got it b/c I wanted one just like it. lol:)

Jennifer72

wow, that bag is awesome! I want to make myself a crazy quilt purse one of these days. Like when i can sit on the couch without a baby tapping on my feet and fussing to make me pick him up :)
Thank you Meagan! I think that a crazy quilt purse would be awesome!

This is the monokini I made for the Jersey bash. First attempt at one and I plan on making many more! :)

Wow! That is a hot swimsuit! :D Color me jealous, I can't sew that well yet :(

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
Sasha that monokini is great! I want that fabric!!

tattooU

That is fabu Sasha! Again, i'm totally jealous of your skillz!

Dammit! i'm gonna make you sew me something! But what...?

Gingembre

radar detector
This is the monokini I made for the Jersey bash. First attempt at one and I plan on making many more! :)

Oh. My. Lord. Total hottie! ;);) And rep for the sewing skills....or I would if I hadn't got to spread some rep around first! Bugger! Someone get her for me :)

BeckaBoo

Loves fishsticks...
Wow, I LOVE this, truly impressive! You should totally set up a little online store and sell them, I would definitely make a purchase.
I don't even have anywhere to go and wear a 'kini but I just NEED it! :wubu:

katherine22

My own random odds and ends: I need some advice. I'm using a Holy Clothing dress (same dress I posted pics of in the Holy thread) as a pattern guide for a sleveless dress I'm making, but I'm using a different type of fabric. It's a navy polka dot crepe in [SIZE=-2]polyester[/SIZE]. (I know, I know, I hate poly too, but this drapes really nicely and I couldn't find a rayon or cotton in what I wanted anywhere.)

So, my questions:

1) I haven't sewn much with synthetics before. Is it okay to use the regular "cotton covered polyester" thread or will the cotton content in it cause the seams to pucker when it's washed?

2. I've been thinking I should reinforce the bodice by lining it because it will fit very snugly and I'm concerned about stress on the seams. Only thing is, there's a smocked area in the back that I can't line. Would it do any good to line just the front of the dress? And would it be a disaster to line it with well pre-washed cotton lawn to hopefully keep it cooler? If not, what should I use? Satin lining seems too sticky for summer.
When you sew on polyester fabric use polyester thread. The best thread is Gutterman - it never breaks. You can line a dress in any soft fabric. If it is a natural fabric like cotton pre-wash it to accommodate shrinkage. When you pre-wash a fabric, sew the edges so the fabric does not ravel while it is being washed. Test sew your fabric so that you can get the stitch tension correct to avoid puckered seems. Press Press Press, pressing is a big part of sewing since the steam of the iron shapes the garment.

rainyday

Departed

snip
Wow, that came out great. That print looks excellent on you too. I hate sewing on knits, so I'm doubly impressed.

When you sew on polyester fabric use polyester thread. The best thread is Gutterman - it never breaks. You can line a dress in any soft fabric. If it is a natural fabric like cotton pre-wash it to accommodate shrinkage. When you pre-wash a fabric, sew the edges so the fabric does not ravel while it is being washed. Test sew your fabric so that you can get the stitch tension correct to avoid puckered seems. Press Press Press, pressing is a big part of sewing since the steam of the iron shapes the garment.
Thanks, Katherine. When I saw the quote I did a double-take because the question's so old I don't even remember asking it lol. I'm an old hand at sewing cottons/natural fibers and a pressing/pre-washing fiend. With the exception of that navy fabric though, I just never sew on sythetics.

And random sewing thought, it occurred to me a couple weeks ago to thank my mom for teaching me to sew (and embroider and crochet and knit) years ago when I was a kid. Got to thinking one day as I was sewing on something what a great gift all those hours she spent teaching me really was. So here's to all our teachers for passing on the skillz!

katherine22

Wow, that came out great. That print looks excellent on you too. I hate sewing on knits, so I'm doubly impressed.

Thanks, Katherine. When I saw the quote I did a double-take because the question's so old I don't even remember asking it lol. I'm an old hand at sewing cottons/natural fibers and a pressing/pre-washing fiend. With the exception of that navy fabric though, I just never sew on sythetics.

And random sewing thought, it occurred to me a couple weeks ago to thank my mom for teaching me to sew (and embroider and crochet and knit) years ago when I was a kid. Got to thinking one day as I was sewing on something what a great gift all those hours she spent teaching me really was. So here's to all our teachers for passing on the skillz!
My learning how to sew was one of the most important skills -right up there with my college education. I saved so much money and it was and still is such a creative outlet for me. I go to Goodwill now and remake the clothes.

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl
Hey you did great on that. I bet you could make some money selling some of those...

Paul

Well done Sasha. You might consider setting up an Etsy store to sell some of your creations.
I made a hoodie. It was super fun and I plan on making another one soon as I get more fabric. Hope you guys like! :)

The fabric I used.

Ivy

more cake, please!
DimensionsModel
i used to do a bit of sewing in high school and my first year and a half of college, but was never any good at it. i'm thinking of trying to find the patience to re-teach myself. i find sewing to be really cathartic. well, when it goes as planned.

ANWAY, i made this little number last night with nothing but a giant super trashy t-shirt, needle, thread, and scissors. it is based off of a tutorial that i found forever ago (and can't seem to find at the moment) with some of my own modifications. it took me longer than it should have because i hand stitched everything. haha

please excuse my no makeup/bed head/general unshowered beastliness. the cups are a little too big. i'm thinking of taking them in a bit so that they lay flatter.

better photo of the graphic on the shirt.. oh, and my sweet jugs. har har.

Latest posts