The fat girl lifting crew... (a dumb idea?)

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Perhaps this is a dumb idea, but I've been wondering about the possibility of doing this...

I've always thought it would be fun to get a group of guys together and develop a technique to lift a heavy person, I think it's entirely possible. I would think, if you get 6 or 8 guys together the weight distributed amongst all the people would be such that an average sized person would be able to do that sort of lifting without much strain. The math simply being this... a 300 lb person lifted by 6 guys would only be 50 lbs each, a 400 lb person lifted by 8 guys the same. When I was in a search and rescue organization, we had a way of interlocking our arms to carry injured people out of the hilly areas where we practiced search and rescue techniques. Generally it was two people carrying a 150 lb person, with my average build I found the carrying fairly reasonable to do.

This idea came about because of two reasons... Firstly, I'll admit... simple cheap thrill. Like most male, macho oriented activities, I thought this would be fun for the guys... and an excuse to man-handling a fat chick...

But where this idea first originated was when I read about one of our SSBBW members falling down and not being able to get up. This always turns into a crisis (and I believe unnecessarily so...) when a heavy person falls down and nobody knows what to do, or the people around conclude that they aren't able to do anything. I think a simple technique involving multiple people could fairly readily lift a heavy person... and maybe even become the "Heimlich Technique" of lifting a heavy person, that average people could learn to do. With an injured person it's always best to have a professional who knows how not to further injure a person do something like this, but in simple situations, or situations where professionals aren't around I think something like this might actually have a practical application.

What do you folks think?

AnnMarie

✰cuddly and terrifying✰
I think it's possible, absolutely. Key would be positioning the people and their hands/arms in a way that wouldn't hurt the woman. It's a movement of mass problem in that your arms probably won't reach well under us, and you can't just grab on to a thigh like the side of a mattress. It's an unwieldy thing.

Best way would be to have a couple of blankets, or moving blankets... try to move her on to those, then lift that.... much easier. The people on the end let down her lower legs, and she's in "sitting", then can stand.

Other ways, when you're alone with a fat girl who falls. If she can get on her knees (most of us can, just hurts a bit) you might be able to kneel on hand/knee in front of her, like a horsey, and she can use your back to push up on. A chair (no wheels!) is preferable, but if there isn't one around, a person will do. She might only need your knee, so if you get down a la marriange proposal, we can use your knee as leverage.

Another good solution is a sheet or something, wrapped under her arms around her back, ends toward you.... she holds on to the sheet and you pull the ends. Her feet will need to be firmly planted to get the movement going and not just "slide" with the pulling.... but it does work.

We've also gotten a friend up with a guy leaning back, hands down to her while sitting on the floor. His leverage pulling back (this needs to be a strong guy). He's moving back and down while he's pulling her up... he may end up on the ground, but whatever... he can get up. :) You can use another person behind the person on the ground to push/support her as she makes her way up. Sometimes you just need the extra hands.

So far, we've done really well in our circles. The key is not to panic and to try to do it as carefully and with as much dignity as possible, it's a horrible panic - I've seen it and I sympathize. As is now, my knees suck and I can only get up off the ground with something around to push up on (chair, table, etc). If those aren't around.... I'm going to have a MUCH harder time of it. Depending on the day, I'd need someone to help me.... for sure.

B68

Brilliant User Title
Yes, i can see sense in finding a new 'Heimlich grip'. It clearly isn't really helpfull to pull an arm of a 300/400 pound person to get him/her up.

I had to help my ex (350 pounds) in two occasions. When she could get on one knee, i offered her my bended arm so she could pull herself up. That worked well.

Another time we had picknick when she was pregnant and she found out she couldn't get on her feet again. Neither could she get on one knee. I can't remember exactly how whe did it, but i just sat next to her and pulled a little, while she used my body to get up, step by step.

I think it's better to offer your body as support instead of pulling with brute force.

And of course the helping person should always remember to tighten all of his muscles in the proces. To avoid sudden straign on muscles or spine.

Inflatable Girl

When I first stumbled upon this thread the title - The fat girl lifting crew... - made me think "sweet, I lift weights & am super strong, I love the idea of forming group of BBW weight lifters!" :blush: Silly me.

However, upon reading the thread I could not agree more with the validity of the idea (cheap thrills aside).
I have known a few plus and super size folks who've had issues receiving assistance after falls or when needing to be lifted (safely) in emergencies.

This is something that concerns me about my own ample frame... how could I be carried should the situation demand?

Given the solution is less about strength and more about body mechanics and technique, it would be a pleasure to devise (and practice) what the ultimate lifting techniques would be.
It would be quite fun and may result in truly great developments.... for the benefit of others, of course ;) .

I'll lend my body & muscles.. who's in?

Ho Ho Tai

Stan -
The problem you pose is similar to one I had, under vastly different circumstances. My dad died at age 99, after spending his last five years in a nursing home. During his adult life, his weight was always within a few pounds of 140 lb. - the weight he was when he played hockey in college. But, as we all do, he went from being lean, tough and muscular to being very weak and fragile.

As long as it was possible, we would visit him and take him for rides through Duluth and up the shore of lovely Lake Superior. The attendants would transfer him to his wheelchair, we would wheel him to our SUV, and then the fun started. He was not strong enough to hoist himself into the seat, despite handholds and our assistance, and there was nothing left of him strong enough to grab. His arms felt like the wings of a well cooked turkey - like they would come off in your hand with a little tug. A transfer strap worked somewhat. We could get him into position to where he could hoist himself in the rest of the way. For this formerly rugged guy, it was probably the hardest work he had ever done.

The day came when we knew we couldn't do it again. But we did manage one more trip. We hired a medical van and driver, pushed his chair up the ramp and into the van. The chair locked into position and was stable.

In the town of Two Harbors, there is a long concrete jetty extending far out into the water. We bundled him up good and wheeled his chair about 2,000 ft., right into the middle of the harbor, near the railway docks. His reactions to anything by that time were pretty minimal, but he seemed to enjoy it. I don't think he had ever done anything like that in his life.

It was the last time he would leave the nursing home alive.

IMG_20080515_2957.JPG

Cors

Delurking
When I first stumbled upon this thread the title - The fat girl lifting crew... - made me think "sweet, I lift weights & am super strong, I love the idea of forming group of BBW weight lifters!" :blush: Silly me.

That will be awesome! ;O

And yep, good idea Stan! I wonder how well it will work out though, especially as the person gets heavier and heavier. Because of space constraints, I don't see how 20+ people can lift someone who is 750lbs for example with blankets alone.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
Stan -
The problem you pose is similar to one I had, under vastly different circumstances. My dad died at age 99, after spending his last five years in a nursing home. During his adult life, his weight was always within a few pounds of 140 lb. - the weight he was when he played hockey in college. But, as we all do, he went from being lean, tough and muscular to being very weak and fragile.

It was the last time he would leave the nursing home alive.

http://lh4.ggpht.com/_gpTZkU7HBfY/SC9T0eR3bgI/AAAAAAAAHRQ/-9cgOuuf-qg/s720/IMG_20080515_2957.JPG

I'm sorry to hear about your loss Ho Ho Tai... I actually had the same situation with my father before he died. He was probably the same weight as your father (140 lb +/-) and assisting in lifting him from wheelchair to the bathroom was a challenge simply because of awkward lifting angles. My mother and I worked out a way that we both lifted him from the sides but even that was awkward (my mother wasn't able to lift as well as I could...)

I think it's possible, absolutely. Key would be positioning the people and their hands/arms in a way that wouldn't hurt the woman. It's a movement of mass problem in that your arms probably won't reach well under us, and you can't just grab on to a thigh like the side of a mattress. It's an unwieldy thing.

The one thing I realized about this is that attempting to lift a heavy person from being flat on the ground might not be that easy and certainly getting arms under a large person would be the tricky part. The way we carried people with the search and rescue group was to get them either sitting, or upright. The person being lifted put their arms around the two people who were side by side and they then locked their arms under the lifted person's seat. This clearly wouldn't be possible with a heavy person, but I'm wondering if the additional two or three people (plus the original two...) could reach their arms under (interlocking hands or hands onto arms...) the heavy person being lifted (or around of the person of they are sitting...) I definitely can see getting a blanket or some other sort of stretcher like device made of material under a person and being able to lift them, that would certainly be easier than reaching arms under a large person.

Yes, i can see sense in finding a new 'Heimlich grip'. It clearly isn't really helpfull to pull an arm of a 300/400 pound person to get him/her up.

I think it's better to offer your body as support instead of pulling with brute force.

And of course the helping person should always remember to tighten all of his muscles in the proces. To avoid sudden straign on muscles or spine.

Given the solution is less about strength and more about body mechanics and technique, it would be a pleasure to devise (and practice) what the ultimate lifting techniques would be.
It would be quite fun and may result in truly great developments.... for the benefit of others, of course ;) .

I'll lend my body & muscles.. who's in?

It would almost certainly be about finding the right angles as opposed to brute force. Not only for the people lifting but also for the person being lifted. And as you said B68, like any other physical activity, avoiding muscle strain is important.

That will be awesome! ;O

And yep, good idea Stan! I wonder how well it will work out though, especially as the person gets heavier and heavier. Because of space constraints, I don't see how 20+ people can lift someone who is 750lbs for example with blankets alone.

I don't think weight per se is the problem. I've seen 4 guys lift a striped down Chevy (V-8 short block) engine out of a car with is about 400 - 500 lbs so they each were lifting over 100 lbs. (After it was propped up with boards to a position where they could readily reach it...) Even certain materials can be very fibrous and carry quite a bit of weight (for a short period of time, certainly...) An average blanked probably wouldn't be a good way to attempt that sort of lift.

sprint45_45

In theory it is a great idea, but getting a grip and being in a position to use your strenght would be the problem. maybe you could get them so they are leaning forward a bit and then have someone strong push up on thier back till there weight get over their knees.

Rowan

wickedly delicious
wish i could have had something like this instantly on demand when this last hurricane was around...i fell at the gas station.....in front of cops even..couple of them cute...and i tried to use my umbrella to get up with and it was sliding out from under my hands as one of my feet were as well...and thankfully one of them offered to help...only one mind you...*sigh*

humiliating...so bad...

so wish i had such a service :)

Tina

Older and wiser now
Well, depending upon the situation and how it's done, I'll volunteer to be the liftee laying on the sheet, at about 365. But y'all can't put me on the floor or I'll need a construction crane to haul my butt back up again. :p

See you next month!!
dance2.gif

Kortana

Feelin' Cheeky!
A friend of mine recently took part in a training course for EMT's and firefighters on how to lift a heavy person-she was the "dummy" they used for training.

Apparently they are doing more and more of this type of sensibility training in Canada.

stan_der_man

The Teflon Frog
A friend of mine recently took part in a training course for EMT's and firefighters on how to lift a heavy person-she was the "dummy" they used for training.

Apparently they are doing more and more of this type of sensibility training in Canada.

That's exactly the kind of thing I was wondering about. A while back I asked a student who was training to be a firefighter (volunteer I believe...) if they had such a technique, he didn't know of one.

Well, depending upon the situation and how it's done, I'll volunteer to be the liftee laying on the sheet, at about 365. But y'all can't put me on the floor or I'll need a construction crane to haul my butt back up again. :p

See you next month!!
dance2.gif

Ooh... a potential volunteer! :D If we can get a capable group of guys together you're on! ;) Lookin' forward to seeing you again!

Tina

Older and wiser now
Sounds like fun, Stan. And I really look forward to seeing you, too. It will have been a whole year!

elle camino

shitclock's tickin.
with my old, oooold guy friends (like the ones i've been tight with since kindergarten times), every single hug goodbye ends with them hoisting me off the ground. because they love me and they know it makes me giggle, but also mostly to prove to themselves they're tough guys and can still do it.
i don't have the heart to tell them i actually weigh a fair amount less than i did when we were in school, and meanwhile every time they huff and puff a little harder from the strain, so they're actually probably getting weaker with age.
anyways, all that to say: in adulthood as in toddlerhood, being picked up is one of life's cheapest thrills. whee!

Latest posts