Quantcast

The Ponderous Woman online comics

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

fatgirl33

Just doodlin'
Hi everyone,

Some of you may remember my old online comic series The Ponderous Woman (and its sequels and spin-offs), I started way, way back in 1999. The site got pretty quiet a few years ago, and I have since abandoned paid web-hosting. But I am starting to get back into the comics, in part due to life allowing me some time for it, but also as I re-discovered some of the files on old hard drives!

I've started to migrate some of my artwork over to my Deviant Arts site, which I am learning to use after having signed up 13 years ago. 🤣 The first comic strip I have posted is "Michelle Meets the Munchies" (see the attached pic).

I am looking at how best to migrate the rest of my old comics to a new home, DA or another (some of the early stuff is embarrassingly crude in terms of the quality of the artwork, and I would like to spruce it up too - but I also don't want to re-draw all 31 issues of the original comic run, lol!). Any thoughts or suggestions are very welcome!

And I'd also like to thank those that have continued to ask about the PW, message their support and their wishes for more - it is so wonderful to know when something I cobbled together actually is enjoyed by others. Thank you!
Brenda

Attachments

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I have no idea, but glad to see PW coming back to life! (also glad to see you poke your face in, I always worry about people we don't hear from for a long time. It is normally just life moving on, but still it is good to see people are still alive and kicking!)

fatgirl33

Just doodlin'
Thank you both!

I have started to post old stuff on the Deviant Arts page (link in the top post), and am playing around with a way of "remastering" the original PW series. I'll start to post some new stuff in the coming weeks, too. I haven't done much doodling over the last few years, but am gradually exercising those muscles a bit. :)

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
I have started to post old stuff on the Deviant Arts page (link in the top post), and am playing around with a way of "remastering" the original PW series.
Wow! I hadn’t thought about Ponderous Woman in years!

(Wasn’t sure whether to respond to you on DA or here. I chose here.)

Did you ever work out a transfer workflow from your HTML files to DA or whatever else? Any concerns about putting in all the work of moving it to DA, if like so many other sites any of us can name, DA blows up/withers/dies? Perchance are your former self-made website(s) archived in the Internet Archive?

fatgirl33

Just doodlin'
Did you ever work out a transfer workflow from your HTML files to DA or whatever else? Any concerns about putting in all the work of moving it to DA, if like so many other sites any of us can name, DA blows up/withers/dies? Perchance are your former self-made website(s) archived in the Internet Archive?
Great question!

Back when I started and everything was presented as images via HTML, I never anticipated this problem! Lol! So now, if I make the effort to move the stuff, I also want it to be a bit more durable (e.g.: proper comic-format pages, easily digestible as PDFs?). I would also like to maybe clean things up a bit or fix a few things along the way - I don't want to redo everything, that would be a lot of work! But if I could improve the bits that make me cringe, that would be kind of fun, you know?

So I am looking at options. There is a site called itch.io that allows for very flexible sale of comics (like "pay what you can" etc.) I am looking at for some of the material, which is kind of interesting. One of the downsides of running the old PW website was that it was kind of expensive to maintain, above and beyond the effort it required. But I do hope my tiny little legacy has a chance to continue to live on! And I really do have more stories to tell, so I want to get to those, too!

Reactions: Tad

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Back when I started and everything was presented as images via HTML, I never anticipated this problem! Lol! So now, if I make the effort to move the stuff, I also want it to be a bit more durable (e.g.: proper comic-format pages, easily digestible as PDFs?).
Mmmmm…, well, both HTML and PDF are well-established, thus will likely be readable for a long time. I’ve had this issue with other content, specifically digitizing manuals for electronic equipment.

First time, i went with PDF.
* Upside: it’s one file that people can download

- Downsides:
- HUGE (Supersized!) file size! This was with the best compression i could achieve without paying Adobe or someone else $$$. To this day a big dent in my usage-based website hosting costs. Even if you’re no longer directly paying those, someone is, ergo more ads or whatever to support the free-to-you site.​
- Far harder to navigate. Standard HTML and links are much easier. May not apply to comics, but sure does to equipment manuals!​
- Far harder to edit/correct.​

More recently (2019), i went with HTML (mostly text + a few linked images, mainly PNG or GIF black and white line drawings).

* Upsides:
* Vastly easier to navigate and for myself and others to link to subsections​
* Vastly smaller file size (individually of course but also the totality of everything)​
* Profoundly easy to update and correct​
* Portable and readable on anything capable of reading HTML and displaying basic images, which is nearly everything​
* HTML is a totally open standard​

Besides being on my site, it’s available all neatly packaged up as a Zip archive. UnZip, load the home page in any WWW browser, and go to town, including well after me and my site are distant memories. HTML and support files are easy for others to put up on their sites too (this is already the case. Redundancy For The Win!)

- Downside: total time-consuming labor-intensive pain in the a** to type in the text (scanning and OCR didn’t make sense in this case) and separately scan and process/clean up the original printed line drawing artwork.

One of the downsides of running the old PW website was that it was kind of expensive to maintain, above and beyond the effort it required.
Was it the hosting costs, or something else?

Since discovering Nearly Free Speech.net circa 2008, i’ve been doing well paying between $15 and $30 a year for my site hosting. Rates did go up in the last year or two, because their outside costs went up. Not everyone wants or can get by with self-serve measured rate hosting, but especially for sites with lesser traffic like mine, it’s a massive money-saver. Consider checking it out to find out if it might work for you, because you’re already familiar with setting up and maintaining your own site(s), so it may be an easy path to having your material up and retain total control. They should have a calculator to help figure out what you’d be paying, when you input total file sizes and expected user traffic and other stuff.

Attention Mysterious Dims Master Admin(s)/Owner: Have you checked out NFSN? Consider it.

(I get nothing from anybody signing on there. Just a very satisfied customer.)

Yes, maintaining one’s own site dealing with the raw HTML and other files tends to be more work than uploading to a more major commercial/special interest multiple user site like here or DA or wherever. Then again i at least find myself fighting the DA upload infrastructure so much that i’m thinking of dropping it as a place i post my future stories. (But i’m doing textual literature, and literature on DA is an afterthought.)

But I do hope my tiny little legacy has a chance to continue to live on! And I really do have more stories to tell, so I want to get to those, too!
Even though i’m not certain if i ever actually read Ponderous Woman back in the day, seems to me like it’s one of those essential pieces of Internet fatlovesex history/lore/content. People need to see it and experience it, because it’s part of our history, like Kelligirl and Betsy and so many other people and stories i could name.

More stories?! Yes!
(Note to self: go look at the existing ones, to ensure you’ve experienced them.)

Looking forward to fatgirl33 creations, new and/or re-presented,

Ilegalpat

Thank you both!

I have started to post old stuff on the Deviant Arts page (link in the top post), and am playing around with a way of "remastering" the original PW series. I'll start to post some new stuff in the coming weeks, too. I haven't done much doodling over the last few years, but am gradually exercising those muscles a bit. :)
Ponderous Woman was great. It would be nice to see some new episodes.

fatgirl33

Just doodlin'
I have been posting a few things at Deviant Arts (link is in my sig now)... and I am going to test the waters by "remastering" the first Ponderous Woman comic and posting it. Attached is the sample/test page I did.

Can you believe the PW comic started 21 year ago??? Omg, I can't believe how old I feel now! Lol! I remember I started it when I got my very first high-speed internet connection. That means there's a whole generation that doesn't remember dial-up! 😜

Attachments

Sonic Purity

Jiggle Junkie
Can you believe the PW comic started 21 year ago??? Omg, I can't believe how old I feel now! Lol! I remember I started it when I got my very first high-speed internet connection. That means there's a whole generation that doesn't remember dial-up! 😜
You especially, Brenda, need to go to my post in this other thread, and scroll to the bottom and play that song… unless it’s already amongst your favorites in your music library (yours or your online service’s).

(Also, it’s DeviantArt, singular: no S on the end. Unless i’m missing something.)

Jerry Thomas

I have been posting a few things at Deviant Arts (link is in my sig now)... and I am going to test the waters by "remastering" the first Ponderous Woman comic and posting it. Attached is the sample/test page I did.

Can you believe the PW comic started 21 year ago??? Omg, I can't believe how old I feel now! Lol! I remember I started it when I got my very first high-speed internet connection. That means there's a whole generation that doesn't remember dial-up!
Time flies when you're having fun! And I still remember dial-up and even making phone calls from a real telephone booth (also handy for changing into my costume).

Latest posts