• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

The Sochi Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Deven

Wendigo
So, since today's Opening Ceremony, shall we discuss what's happening over in Sochi?

Let's start with the news headlines coming out:

Apparently, a lot of the hotels are under construction still, days up until the Games. Reporters were some of the first to arrive, and some have been tweeting their experiences.

One for giggles:

My hotel has no water. If restored, the front desk says, "do not use on your face because it contains something very dangerous." #Sochi2014
-@stacystclair

Buzzfeed has an article called "Photographic Proof That Sochi Is A Godforsaken Hellscape Right Now." While some of the pictures look fake (but may not be,) I've seen some tweeted by journalists.

Russia's response to the journalists? They are spying on them, of course!

Kozak, the deputy prime minister responsible for the Olympic preparations, reflected the view held among many Russian officials that some Western visitors are deliberately trying to sabotage Sochi's big debut out of bias against Russia. "We have surveillance video from the hotels that shows people turn on the shower, direct the nozzle at the wall and then leave the room for the whole day," he said. An aide then pulled a reporter away before Mr. Kozak could be questioned further on surveillance in hotel rooms.

Reporters are also reporting that their electronics were hacked almost immediately upon turning them on in Sochi, saying that the hacking was "very fast and very professional."

There's also the issue that only 70% of this Winter Olympics tickets are sold, as compared to the 97% for Vancouver. 75% of the attendees are expected to be Russian.

Some of this could be due to the terroristic threats that have come about, especially since Sochi is being held physically near and around the same time as the anniversary of an ethnic cleansing done by Tsarist Russia.

With the terrorist attacks, there is a "ring of steel" around Sochi, comprised of soldiers and fences stretching all the way out to the Black Sea.

They are warning of bombs in toothpaste tubes and cosmetics jars on airlines.

And there have been a fair number of injuries already, so much so that Olympic snowboarder Shaun White dropped out of a newly added event called the Slopestyle, saying that the jumps were a bit too high for his taste. Since the events were freshly added, they had qualifiers that started before the Opening Ceremony.

Heidi Kloser has broken her leg while practicing, shattering her Freestyle dreams for Sochi. Hopefully she can try again next time.

I'm monitoring the Sochi situations closely. While I won't update with medalists, I will update with any other relevant information.

Latest posts

Back