Wall E

Discussion in 'Fat in the Media' started by indy500tchr, Jun 28, 2008.

1. Jun 30, 2008 #41

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

Dear STfa, I am sorry for your wife embarrasment at this movie. In the south it is considered extremely rude to have a guest come into your home (or business such as a movie theater) and then treat that guest in a shameful manner. To embarrass a person like your wife to the point where she does not even want to exit the theater with everyone else is just horrible. That makes me think this movie make her feel less than human - and that is wrong, wrong, wrong. In the old days, Disney films did not treat people in a shameful fashion. For them to do so now, is abhorrant and Walt should visit these "movie moguls" and give them a lesson in manners and human dignity

2. Jun 30, 2008 #42

bigsexy920

bigsexy920

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.

People can't be manipulated into being fat !!!!! Who ever heard of such a thing.

3. Jun 30, 2008 #43

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.

You have to see the movie, Berna. :) Dont' want to get too into details because it'll give too much away. But they were. :)

4. Jun 30, 2008 #44

bigsexy920

bigsexy920

bigsexy920

Ok I'll be good.

I actually do want to see it - and I want to see it even all the more since all the talk.

5. Jun 30, 2008 #45

Durin

Durin

Durin

The Only good thing in the movie was Wall-E. He is a great robot, shows the power of faithfulness, curiousity, ect.

The portrayel of the guests of the Axiom left me feeling cold. It seems like the media has decided to flog "The War Against Obesity" into the ground.

While it had it's share of fat gags I thought Kung Fu Panda portrayed Po in a fairly positive light.

What I can't understand, what is the inherit goodness in going back to Earth to be dirt farmers. I bet most folks who saw the movie have never worked a farm let alone a garden.

I would think our race could be perfectly happy writing books, games, new buisness schemes. ect. ect. Even if we weigh 600 average and can't get around so good without our skimmers.

What's so holy about living on a planet and turning dirt?

6. Jun 30, 2008 #46

ayschucks

ayschucks

ayschucks

My entire brain is on overload from this thread but this post let alone had sent gears and springs firing off into the atmosphere as my head did a 360 turn.

Did you miss the fable about being a steward not only to our planet but to ourselves and the temple that is our body?

The real question is why wouldn't we want to take control of our lives? Before Wall-E's intrusion there was not art, culture, writing books, playing games- There was no romantic love (which poses all sorts of creepy cloning questions)

Whats to write about if you are stuck in that ship? What could possibly inspire you?

I am sorry, several of these posts are so overly sensitive to a story that many have not seen or chose to isolate certain points and negate the rest. Its not wrong, wrong, wrong- its a fable with a positive message about responsibility and love and determination. We go in as grown ups and lay our hangs up on the themes and cry bloody murder over something so innocent.

Sorry I don't see what so holy about avoiding getting your hands dirty and tilling the earth.

BigBeautifulMe and BingFox like this.
  7. Jun 30, 2008 #47

isotope

isotope

isotope

What?

Kudos to this fellow here!

After reading this thread, all i have to say is...

L I G H T E N U P (pun?)

I wrote several different responses but i think i'll just keep to the main message of turning down the venom on such an innocent and well put together movie and two other things...

One, yes, the humans did lose weight when they got back to earth and started cultivating. That's called reality. You go from doing nothing and eating all day in a climate controlled enviroment to working the fields on a hot sunny day, you're going to shed pounds. It's not a message, it's just reality.

And two, if you're offended and haven't seen the movie, then you have too much free time. So, with so much free time, you should go see Wall-E and make your own judgements.

Seacrest out.

PS, Wanted had a much much worse fat stereotype than this. Point your angry blame fingers at that.

8. Jun 30, 2008 #48

ripley

ripley

ripley

In Remembrance

So fat people are bad stewards of the temple that is their body?

And it's a positive message to lose weight?

It IS a message when the emblem of the "sickness" is fatness, and the happy ending's emblem is shown by everyone losing weight.

9. Jun 30, 2008 #49

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.

That's not the message at all, IMHO. People were manipulated into gaining, and as a result of that and the antigravity of the ship, they suffered bone loss, making it even harder for them to do anything about it. I honestly didn't feel it attacked or judged fat people at all - and as I said, I'm very sensitive to that.

Also, I didn't see anyone losing weight at the end of the movie. But I left at the start of the credits, so if it was after that, that's why.

I think this is one of those movies you have to really see to know how you feel about - it's impossible to grasp where its' coming from without seeing it, IMHO - YMMV, as always :D

10. Jun 30, 2008 #50

goofy girl

goofy girl

goofy girl

took a sharp left turn

well, I figured it was already there, and the whole thread is full of spoilers now anyway .....

11. Jun 30, 2008 #51

moore2me

moore2me

moore2me

Lions don't need to spank

Moore's comments:
    I wouldn't necessarily call it holy, but fresh veggies that you have grown yourself, sure do taste better than the store bought ones! Hubby has a big garden and even tho we are both fat, he cultivates it and does all the harvesting himself. Having a home garden is a tradition around our neck of the woods - so it's what his father did, his grandfather did, and what my grandfather did. Nothing holy about it, just good stewardship of our resources.
    And by the way, where do you think the fruit and veggies you eat come from?

12. Jun 30, 2008 #52

butch

butch

butch

cuddly, hairy, and fat

I'm not picking on you, BBMe, but I wondered, doesn't it cause you any concern to see a movie that uses only one clearly defined marginalized group as a visual symbol of humanity's flaws?

Can't a movie be both of the things people are claiming in this thread? A fantastic movie both visually and narratively, elevating the art of animation, and one that has a critical message that we all need to hear, and also a film that continues to perpetrate an equation that fat may equal lazy, ignorant, wasteful, greedy, self-obsessed, etc?

Let me give you an example of what I'm thinking about. DW Griffith's "BIrth of a Nation" helped create the grammar we use to structure narratives in the medium of film, and was so powerful that Woodrow Wilson called the film 'history written in light.' And yet, the film has the most horrific and offensive representations of black people, and a fledgling NAACP mounted a high-profile campaign against it. A film historian can think two things about this film-its a work of art, one of the top films ever made, and its also one of the most offensive films ever made, and should be justifiably critiqued for its portrayal of African Americans.

Another exmaple would be "Triumph of the Will," which is an absolutely gorgeous film, turning the documentary into a graceful aesthetic wonder, and yet that film is in the service of Hitler's beliefs about the purity of the Aryan race. Again, one can praise this film for all of its artistic merit while denouncing the message that it serves about eugenics and 'the final solution.'

These may be extreme examples,and maybe its unfair to compare animation to live action film, but if I recall, Disney can't sell "Song of the South" anymore, so animation does have the power to offend in a way no different from other types of films.

indy500tchr likes this.
  13. Jun 30, 2008 #53

Mabus

Mabus

Mabus

I have to agree with the pessimists on this one; knowing the mindset of the general populace it's hard for me to imagine the average person walking out of this film without thinking that fat people were at least emblematic of the traits decried in the film if not to blame for the whole situation, and that is a definite negative in my mind.

I also have to raise an issue with the movies overall theme; I don't want to start an argument here but - as a longtime advocate of space colonisation - it seems to me that with the level of technology at their disposal the humans could have easily re-taught themselves technical knowledge and established large scale space colonies such as O'Neill Cylinders with more than enough clean open space to lead healthy and productive lives, the return to a degraded and nearly toxic Earth to eke out a subsistent existence and redevelop from scratch (albeit at an accelerated rate) just seemed like gratuitous moralising.

14. Jun 30, 2008 #54

braindeadhead

braindeadhead

braindeadhead

I saw Wall*e on Friday night and I really liked it. The short at the start was worth the cost of admission alone.

I can certainly see how people could be offended by this movie and how it portrayed fat people. I did not see this. I saw it more as a warning about the risk of the society we now live in.

Yes the humans in the movie were fat but that was not the worst of their problems. They were without human contact. They depended on machines for everything. They had no idea how to survive because they had accepted comfort over self reliance. The joke about the pool and the jogging track wasn't a fat thing to me, it was about how unaware they had become. They spent every second of every day looking at screens with no thought for what was going on around them.

That was the message I took from the movie. That accepting comfort for independance was the failure, not being fat.

And I would recommend the movie to anyone, fat or thin.

15. Jun 30, 2008 #55

ayschucks

ayschucks

ayschucks

As the grandson, great grandson of a whole generation of farmers who has spent time bailing hay and growing my own veggies and fruit since I was a child, I know exactly where they come from.

The relationship with the earth is HOLY. Early man recognized this in nearly all world religions, the earth was seen as the life giver, the god of giving, the mother figure, etc.

What does that even mean that the temple of your body has been taken over by the God of Chaos?

As a culture we've long since outgrown The Knights of the Round Table and that kind of code. If we lived by your standards no Mel Brooks movie would have seen the light of day. Censors would fly into every children's film and remove anything even remotely sensitive. If you want to live in a "Brave New World" or "Fahrenheit 451" where we burn books and avoid even the slightest chance that we might be offended, well you are more than welcome to. If thats the way we are headed, I'd rather go sit and banter with Mark Twain and George Carlin.

You know I knew this was going to be an argument so I spent sometime this weekend asking around about a dozen or more people of various ages and backgrounds about that their feelings.

Not one person I spoke to walked away with a negative impression of the people in the film. I've even started a thread in a Disney forum I attend to ask participants to discuss the theme and fable of the story, without any leading questions. So far it has not been an issue that has been discussed.

I believe people are being overly sensitive to an issue that is a non-issue for the general public.

Films and television, including children's films, used to be able to tell a story without such backlash or sensitive reactions. I'd say if Bambi was released today, an alliance of mothers would be upset that his mother died.

Well said. Your entire argument was well presented and very honest and well researched. Despite the negatives, "Birth of a Nation" is a fantastic film.

16. Jun 30, 2008 #56

fatgirlflyin

fatgirlflyin

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation

:) I'm one of those fat people. Doesn't matter what I do or don't eat, I'm fat.

Ok but is this film really perpetuating those ideas or is that just how some fat people see it because of the many times that they've had those statements thrown in their faces?

Kinda like the woman who goes after a job, doesn't get it and assumes that its because she's a woman. When in reality its because there really just was a better qualified candidate?

17. Jun 30, 2008 #57

RedVelvet

RedVelvet

RedVelvet

Airship Pirate

YES! YES! YES! ding ding ding!

Looks like we are going to be split here....and thats ok..but that is exactly what I saw.

Yes...there should have been atrophied thin people too..sure....yes.

Not a reason to write off a beautiful, sad, charming film.

I am So saddened to read that a poster's wife felt personally mortified....I really, really am. It breaks my heart... most sincerely....but I truly and honestly believe that was about a far from their intent as possible.

And intent is all we can control.....

18. Jun 30, 2008 #58

Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R

Sandie S-R

Just throwing out one more point that hasn't been mentioned.

My hubby Guy works in the edge of the entertainment industry in computer animation and digital imaging and editing. He goes to all the industry conventions like Siggraph and ComicCon. (And I would like to preface this with the fact that we have always been huge fans of Pixar and their smart, and incredibly fabulous films.)

In the last year there was a lot of hype about Wall-E, with lots of clips and trailers and sneek peeks shown. However, Guy, just like all the rest of us was shocked to hear about the plot twist with all the fat people. He had no idea it was in the movie.

Why?

Well, because Disney/Pixar had to have known that the plot would be offensive to a majority of the people, and specifically chose not to include that in any of the promotional materials. So, this way no one would know about the controversary, and it would not spoil the turn out for opening weekend.

Looks like it worked. They made $65 million at the box office this weekend.

Personally the deceptive manner in which they handled the promotion of the movie, almost offends me more than the "fat" part of the plot. Obviously they didn't see the need to be honest with the public about this movie from the beginning.

I'm really disappointed. And we will not be going to see this movie. First time ever that we have not seen a Pixar movie.

19. Jun 30, 2008 #59

Tooz

Tooz

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ

You know, this has crossed my mind as well. I've been seeing the ads for the movie, and then when this thread popped up, I was shocked at it-- I had no idea anything like that was even in the film.

20. Jun 30, 2008 #60

pani

pani

pani

Except it is the exact opposite in real life. It is weight obsession that keeps our population in check. People are so focused on their scales and kept in line with their guilt they have let the country go down the tubes. There is nothing a control freak hates more than fat. So this movie's main propaganda lies in its reverse message. Losing weight = rebellion from oppression. Except that weight obession is what oppressed us in the first place. Being thinner equals less consumption and more social responsibility. So it is o.k. to buy those useless Wall-E toys. If you believe, as I do, MSM has been reduced to nothing more than consumerism and control of the masses, this is the same old, same old.

ripley and toni like this.