What are y'all planting this year?

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by smithnwesson, Apr 24, 2014.

1. Nov 22, 2015 #81

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

well, here's an update.

the spinach is done. it bolted and i had to pull it. we got several meals worth out of the little containers worth i planted, so overall i am pleased. the carrots are still happily growing away in a container. i think by next month i will pull one up and see how it is going.

after a nice fall surge, most of my plants have gone dormant. my double knock out roses still have flowers on them, but i think with the very cold weather this week they are not long behind.

luckily it looks like some of the lilies that i received from a fellow gardener and transplanted in my yard have rooted enough they will survive the winter.

when i first moved here there was a nice brick patio out under the other side of the tree off our back porch. it had been overgrown. the one corner had a bunch of overgrown holly with a climbing rose tangled in. i cleaned it up and the rose flourished. i have been fighting an ongoing battle with the holly. they keep trying to grow back. i trim them back but those suckers hurt when you try to pick them up. i will win though!

the last time we replaced the blades on our riding mower we bought the super mulching kind. i am so glad we did. the big tree in our yard is dropping its leaves. i found if i mow in a circular pattern with the leaves blowing in toward the center of the yard by the time i mow over them every pass they are pretty much gone. :)

the ones in areas i can't mow got raked up and put in my compost pile.

my next project is friday. putting up the christmas lights! :bounce:

2. Nov 22, 2015 #82

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

As you once told me "So much rep! You need so much rep!"

3. Jan 27, 2016 #83

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

i ordered my heirloom tomato seeds online this week!

4. Jan 27, 2016 #84

BountifulBabs

BountifulBabs

BountifulBabs

I'm into herbs, but I'll probably do some cucumbers and peas too.

5. Jan 29, 2016 #85

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

do you grow them inside or in a garden setting? i tried growing herbs (my husband loves pesto) inside but could not really get great results. any tips?

6. Jan 29, 2016 #86

BountifulBabs

BountifulBabs

BountifulBabs

I do mine outside in pots and they do well. I have cats and they tend to eat them if I leave them inside. Plus, most herbs need full sun and it's hard to get inside. I sometimes skip watering them once or twice and then give them a huge drink. Cutting them back often helps too.

7. Jan 30, 2016 #87

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

i might try some outdoor in containers this year. thanks for the tips!

8. Jan 30, 2016 #88

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

We have friends who plan an extensive garden each year. They asked us to save egg cartons for use as seed starters. I have quite a few and intend to partially fill one with these LED 'eggs'. We gave them to our grand children as stocking stuffers. They were the hit of the day. They turn on and off with a tap. If I partially fill an egg carton with them and 'accidentally' drop it on the floor, they should light up. I do intend to experiment with this first.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. Feb 1, 2016 #89

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

the led egg looks cool. let me know how it goes.

yes, the press board egg cartons are great for starting seeds. once they germinate you can move them either to a bigger pot or into the ground. they will biodegrade and let the roots spread without the shock of yanking them out of a plastic tray.

it was beautiful out today, but super windy. it pulled half of the plastic i put on the garden up. the wind got under it and puffed up. it had several bricks on it and they just went tossing. luckily i had lined the outer edge with bricks and it did not blow away. i got it back down but will go out tomorrow to tape it up and put it back down. hopefully sealing the seams instead of just overlapping them will help keep the wind out.

10. Feb 1, 2016 #90

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

We had fun with the LED eggs at Christmas. The kids loved them, even more than the ten lb. can of loose change or the promise of that telescope. We had expected to have some fun watching them figure out how to divide the coins. There must have been close to $100 in there. We had expected it to be something of an object lesson but they just set it aside and took it home.

We think those eggs might be fun on a first date, or coffee date. Each takes an egg and rolls each gently into the other. Much rather titillating conversational 'hay' could be made from which, or both, light up.

The weather is weird everywhere, one way or another. We have had a very mild winter in Minnesota. Right now, there is a huge storm system extending from the West Coast to the N.E. part of the USA - rain, snow, summer-like storms, blizzards, all wrapped up in the same nasty package. Looks like it will just clip the southern portions of the T.C. I suppose we have residents here who will be disappointed by the lack of snow.

Not me!

11. Feb 4, 2016 #91

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

i was looking for bulk coffee grounds for my garden. turns out one of our local starbucks is part of a program that saves coffee grounds for the gardeners. i called yesterday and they said they would be glad to save some for my hub to pick up on his way home from work.

he came home today with 30+ lbs of coffee grounds! i am so excited!

i think if i can get some more next week i might even start a new compost pile.

i can also put some of these around my roses.

12. Feb 5, 2016 #92

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

well, the little one and i had a fun time spreading coffee grounds today. so many things here are sprouting up. maybe the groundhog was right and we will get an early spring.

tomorrow and saturday are going to be a bit hectic with other things, so not much yard time. i am hoping on sunday to go out and spray my peach tree with some dormant oil before it wakes up.

13. Feb 15, 2016 #93

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

warmer weather arrives tomorrow. going to spray the peach tree. also going to put in some spinach. yeah spring!

14. Feb 15, 2016 #94

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Spring? What is this concept of which you speak? In Minnesota (at least this time of year) 'Spring' is just a hypothetical construct with no referent in recorded memory (except in the weatherman's records, which are suspect anyway). I'll believe it when I see the first dandelions, or hear the tornado siren for the first time (usually a day or two after the last blizzard).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2016
  15. Feb 18, 2016 #95

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

no worries...just in case you forgot....

View attachment minn.jpg

spinach is in and spent yesterday afternoon spreading compost on my garden bed. hub is bringing me newpaper and coffee grounds home this afternoon so i can continue my layers.

it is supposed to be in the mid 60's here this weekend. it should be beautiful!

16. Feb 19, 2016 #96

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Ho Ho Tai

Cowardly Lion: I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks. I do, I do, I do, I *do* believe in spooks, I *do* believe in spooks, I do, I do, I do, I *do*!

To paraphrase: Cowardly gardener: I *do* believe in spring, I *do* believe in spring. I do, I do, I do, I *do* believe in spring, I *do* believe in spring I do, I do, I do, I *do*!

17. Feb 21, 2016 #97

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

lol ho ho. yes, i am chomping at the bit to start planting things. my onion sets arrived yesterday so today i am going out to build a raised bed to put them in. i still have tons of brick around, so i will just use that. it will be 20" wide, 20 ft long and probably 2 or 3 layers high. i only need 6" of dirt to grow onions, so it does not need to be super deep.

i need to get those in today so the rain we are due the next several days will keep them moist to root.

i got the coffee grounds into the garden yesterday. hopefully the worms will get a whiff of them and come up toward the top of the bed.

in about a week i will start my tomato seeds in the little pots. i watched a great video about using the larger starter pots and only filling with dirt half way. once the plants get taller, you fill in the rest of the pot and it can continue to grow roots while inside. this makes for a stronger starter plant.

18. Feb 22, 2016 #98

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

well, i did not get to my onion bed today. we had on/off rain all day. i did get to dig a bit into my garden. the bad news is that the creeping grass has pretty much formed a web across the top of my garden bed.

the good news is i put a shovel in today and ripped up a piece of the garden bed. the wood chips have pretty much all decomposed and the soil is gorgeous! i even have worms!

i did along the 20' side for about a foot or so in. so much creeping grass. the good thing is that it comes up pretty easy since the ground under it is so soft. i am going to try to get out as much as i can this week to do the rest of the garden bed and get it cleaned up before i want to plant.

i think i am going to wuss out and build the onion bed out of 2x6 lumber. i am really not looking forward to moving all those bricks again. :(

today i learned nature has a way of getting back at you. the coffee grounds that i have put all over my yard has done a good job of keeping the local feral cats at bay. the bad news...the bunnies know they are gone. i saw 3 in my yard today. :(

19. Feb 22, 2016 #99

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Cobra Verde

Lupus Dei

Seeds of discontent. And they're starting to germinate...

20. Feb 23, 2016 #100

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

be careful cobra verde...keep in mind that you reap what you sow.