What are your favorite workouts?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I am re-reading this thread and I have to say that this is such a great post Tony, so much great info and ideas. I have recently started stepping at home and I love it. I'm also very much into strength training now and it has helped me so much, I feel so much stronger.

Hi Denise:

I'm glad you are enjoying the thread- and feel free to post any new stuff you might find. The goal for me is always coming up with exercises that can be both fun,functional and challenging.

I also like to see role models that one would not think of ( different gneder- age - size ) in terms of the instructor. I have a few more that I'll try to post between this and the BBW Self Defense thread on the Main Lounge. I just added a posting on Shihan Roy Richmond. I found his site inspirational as he is a SSBHM and MA practioner.

lypeaches

I need some advice from anybody who does weight training please.

I've been doing weights for about 9 months now. First 6 months or so I just did circuit training. Then, a couple months ago, I switched gyms. My new gym has a LOT more different machines, and weights and equipment in general. Since I was pretty much lost, I got 4 sessions with a personal trainer, because I needed to learn how to use the new stuff, essentially. I'd love to do that all the time, but can't affort it, so I'm on my own now. She had essentially set me up with 3 different weight training workouts (combo of free weights and machines) one session for the chest and arms, one for legs and abs, and one for back and triceps, more or less. After doing this for a couple weeks, I find I don't really like it. I would prefer to mix it up, and essentially work out the whole body each time. I can only do weights 3times a week, by the way...I can't get there every day, at least not with my work schedule for the next 2 - 3 months. I do get in some cardio too.

Is there any clear benefit to doing it the way she said? Or a problem with me doing it my own way?

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I need some advice from anybody who does weight training please.

I've been doing weights for about 9 months now. First 6 months or so I just did circuit training. Then, a couple months ago, I switched gyms. My new gym has a LOT more different machines, and weights and equipment in general. Since I was pretty much lost, I got 4 sessions with a personal trainer, because I needed to learn how to use the new stuff, essentially. I'd love to do that all the time, but can't affort it, so I'm on my own now. She had essentially set me up with 3 different weight training workouts (combo of free weights and machines) one session for the chest and arms, one for legs and abs, and one for back and triceps, more or less. After doing this for a couple weeks, I find I don't really like it. I would prefer to mix it up, and essentially work out the whole body each time. I can only do weights 3times a week, by the way...I can't get there every day, at least not with my work schedule for the next 2 - 3 months. I do get in some cardio too.

Is there any clear benefit to doing it the way she said? Or a problem with me doing it my own way?

I don't think you have any problems with the way that you are working out. If you feel challenged by what you are doing and enjoy it - then that is a good thing.

I remember reading somewhere that you should change your weight training routine every 3 months to avoid boredom. And it's good that you are mixing things up.

has your trainer suggested any abbreviated workouts that you can do? there are some compound weight training exercises that gives you a full body workout. However, all depends how you feel doing the Olympic Types of Lifts. Perhaps your training can come up with an Abbreviated routine so that you can get a workout in despite your now limited schedule.

lypeaches

Thanks Tony. I didn't think so, but was curious what a more experienced lifter had to say.

You know, at least as of yet, I don't really get bored with weight lifting...that's more of an issue with cardio for me. I do have two different whole body workouts, so I can alternate. Plus, throw in a different exercise now and again. I hadn't thought about abbreviated workouts...but for me the issue is travel time to the gym with my schedule, more than the actual time in the gym, so I'll just need to figure out some "at home" routine I can do on off days.

Thanks!!

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Thanks Tony. I didn't think so, but was curious what a more experienced lifter had to say.

You know, at least as of yet, I don't really get bored with weight lifting...that's more of an issue with cardio for me. I do have two different whole body workouts, so I can alternate. Plus, throw in a different exercise now and again. I hadn't thought about abbreviated workouts...but for me the issue is travel time to the gym with my schedule, more than the actual time in the gym, so I'll just need to figure out some "at home" routine I can do on off days.

Thanks!!

Hi LyPeaches:

I wanted to throw out some more ideas regarding Abbreviated workouts. You might want to do a compund exercise so that you are able to get a full body workout at the shortest time possible. I've included some videos below.

A rep scheme that you could do is maybe
2 sets 10-15 reps or
3 sets 8-10 reps for starters.
Not sure which equipment you might be using on the road-but, wanted to include these videos as a starter....

Dumbbell Workout Videos

Dumbbell Squat & Press

Dumbbell Snatches

Dumbbell Floor Press

ZosofanCMR

Watching the Wheels
I have a PT test on monday, so I've really been kicking my ass lately at the gym

Today I ran 4 miles, did a chest workout with 40 Lb free-weights and a 3 set of elevated ab workouts 20 crunches 20 situps.

I'm striving to better my last PT test which was...

83 Pushups in 2 minutes
78 Situps
13:57 2 mile run

I think i'll maintain on the pushups do a couple more situps and knock 30 seconds or so of my 2 mile time, I really wanna max this next test, It's kind of an important one

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I have a PT test on monday, so I've really been kicking my ass lately at the gym

Today I ran 4 miles, did a chest workout with 40 Lb free-weights and a 3 set of elevated ab workouts 20 crunches 20 situps.

I'm striving to better my last PT test which was...

83 Pushups in 2 minutes
78 Situps
13:57 2 mile run

I think i'll maintain on the pushups do a couple more situps and knock 30 seconds or so of my 2 mile time, I really wanna max this next test, It's kind of an important one

ZosofanCMR:

Good luck with your PT test this coming Monday. let us know how you do. Sounds like you will smash your goals- ....

ZosofanCMR

Watching the Wheels

ZosofanCMR:

Good luck with your PT test this coming Monday. let us know how you do. Sounds like you will smash your goals- ....

Thanks Tonynyc, fingers crossed, this test is especially important, I'm in the Army and it's for a school I'm about to go to, the Warrior Leader's Course, I wanna be the distinguished honor grad so the better I do on this test, the better my chances are for that.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
Thanks Tonynyc, fingers crossed, this test is especially important, I'm in the Army and it's for a school I'm about to go to, the Warrior Leader's Course, I wanna be the distinguished honor grad so the better I do on this test, the better my chances are for that.

ZosofanCMR: How did the test go? Hope all went well.....

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
***BUMP ****

** Beauty of this method is that you can be creative and add do your own routine for lower body and upper body exercises - as well as incorporate any weight exercises that you are comfy doing. Have fun with this

Shuffle Your Way to Health

The options for workouts and exercises are numerous. You're not just limited to free weights, resistance machines, elliptical bikes, and the treadmill when working out. Those are several of many equipment options. If you think about it, all exercise equipment are just "tools" for
achieving your physical fitness goals. A chair can be a tool or piece of exercise equipment because you can do bench dips, elevated pushups, handstand pushups, and assisted single legged squats. You can do the same with a large stack of books. Basically, if you take something that's versatile, sturdy, tough, durable, or static, you can turn them for use in your workouts.

A very simple but highly effective and overlooked "tool" is a deck of 52 cards (without the Jokers). A single deck of cards can replace your boring cardio workouts on the stationary bike or treadmill. It offers variety to target different strength qualities and improves your cardiovascular fitness in a more productive way. Old school boxers and wrestlers often complemented their training programs using a deck of cards. The concept isn't exactly new. The workout with a deck works by assigning one exercise to each color. You'll do that particular exercise for the amount of repetitions equal to the card number. The jacks, queens, kings all count for ten reps each. Aces count for eleven repetitions. Jokers are excluded but you can keep them up and assign them a value of 20 reps for a great challenge. You'll move from one exercise and one card to the next with as little rest as possible to keep the working rate high. Incorporate both body weight movements with weighted exercises for a more balanced approach. This leaves your heart pumping forcing you to breathe hard. It's a lung-coughing workout that's highly productive.

Here are some popular routines with this approach:

1) Red cards - pushups, burpees, or high jumps (pick one)

Black cards - sit-ups, crunches, and handstand pushups (pick one)

2) Red hearts- pull-ups or weighted rows

Red diamonds - pushups or burpees

Black spades - crunches or V-ups

Black clubs - single legged squats (assisted or unassisted)

Red diamonds- barbell or dumbbell row

Black spades- barbell front squats

Black clubs- barbell or band good mornings, back extensions

4) Red cards- Rack deadlifts

Black cards- barbell bent presses (each arm)

Now to make these workouts more of a challenge reduce the amount of rest in between each exercise and card. Move quick and fast in completing the deck. You can even go through the entire deck again. If you have a training partner, take turns with each card. The only rest allowed is
when your partner goes for his turn with the card. Incorporate a density approach by setting a time limit to complete one round of the entire deck. Then the next time, try to beat that record. If the regular exercises you're using are becoming easy, replace each with a more difficult variation of the same exercise. Increase the number of repetitions by multiplying the card number by a certain value. For example, if you can go through the entire deck doing crunches for each card without experiencing much of a challenge, increase the number by a value of 2. If you come across an 8, multiply that by 2 and do 18. If the next card is a King, multiply that by 2 and do 20 reps of crunches. You can do this for any exercise you want.

As you can see, the 52 cards deck workouts incorporate different types of exercises for a full body workout that's productive and efficient over the long term. It looks good on paper but only you can experience it's effectiveness by doing. Try it today.

Source:

Heart-Pumping Workouts Using a Deck of Cards

The nice part is that an ordinary deck of playing cards is a cheaper more versatile alternative than the
Fit Deck Exercise Playing Cards which retails for $14.95.

YouTube Clips (Just an Illustration)

Deck of Cards Workout

Mini

Right, not nice
My current favorite workout is to just set a timer about 15 minutes and then do pushups - right now I'm on a divebomber kick - until the timer stops. Rest a minute, repeat with Hindu squats, then finally with crunches.

It's... intense, to say the least.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
My current favorite workout is to just set a timer about 15 minutes and then do pushups - right now I'm on a divebomber kick - until the timer stops. Rest a minute, repeat with Hindu squats, then finally with crunches.

Hi Mini:
The Royal Court as Matt Furey calls them is a really good workout routine. How often do you train? you might want to post your daily routine in this thread

Saw this clip on using a Deck of Cards for the pushup routine. What do you think?

Deck of Cards Pushup Routine

comperic2003

Whether or not hindu squats place damaging stress on the ligaments of the knee is still up for debate but regardless, the movement reinforces a serious postural hip imbalance; so, for that reason, I would stay away from them.

MarkZ

Hello Friends!

I've been out of the loop for a while, was very ill end of Sept 10. Had an infection that surrounded my right lung, and was in the hospital for almost a month. When I got home, I couldn't walk to the end of the room, without being winded. I decided that as soon as I could, I would start training again. It was hard work, but I'm happy to say, I am riding my bicycle about 30 miles a week, and have lost about 40 pounds since Nov 1. Doctor told me to leave the weights alone for 6 months, so it's time to start lifting again. Pics to follow in a few days.

Mark Z.

tinkerbell

umm.... :)

Running, Running, and running. I also enjoy walking, and bike riding - either on the road/bike path, but love love love mt biking!! :) Even after I flipped over my handle bars last summer, and had huge bruises on my inner and outer thighs! I did finish the trail, and did another one too ;)

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
umm.... :)

Running, Running, and running. I also enjoy walking, and bike riding - either on the road/bike path, but love love love mt biking!! :) Even after I flipped over my handle bars last summer, and had huge bruises on my inner and outer thighs! I did finish the trail, and did another one too ;)

Makes you a true Iron Lady for sure....

HeavyDuty24

Come on rise up
my fav workouts consist of most weight lifting varities.i love preacher curls,overhead press,dead-lift,squat.i also love punching bag training and martial arts for a workout too.

Latest posts