Quantcast

what happened to all the naafa and bbw events?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Colonial Warrior

Wait, whut!?! How is Marxism-exactly to blame?
First, I have to indicate that I have not a formal education in political science.

In my words, Cultural Marxism is a doctrine of false oppression made by people who are trying to change the values and worldview of our Western society.

I'm not a 100 percent conservative but I'm not interested in becoming a full liberal.

Sincerely, CM is a waste of time in the FA movement. I support women's rights and I also support fat people rights. I just know that there is a lot of discrimination. I am fat and I experienced it my whole life. But I didn't want to become myself in a politician.

Probably, if they know me well, most of the people of this forums will not vote for me but I didn't care.

My purpose here is to fight to get back to the roots of fat acceptance. Not to discuss political issues. I have so many political discussions in Puerto Rico. A place where FA movement is inexistent. I have tried by all means possible to tackle the subject in this island's media but it was and will be the forbidden subject.

For me, DM forums are a place to gather ideas and strength to carry on in my daily struggles and I thank so much it's presence in my life!!!

Last edited:
Given the fact that everyone has a cell phone and numerous means of communication via Facebook, etc. The only thing that could be lacking when it comes to connecting is the WILL. I think anyone willing to take the time to join in and comment on this thread should be willing to connect with other commenters and take some positive action. What say you all?

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
Given the fact that everyone has a cell phone and numerous means of communication via Facebook, etc. The only thing that could be lacking when it comes to connecting is the WILL. I think anyone willing to take the time to join in and comment on this thread should be willing to connect with other commenters and take some positive action. What say you all?
As a moderator and a participant I can say that I feel that there is a couple more steps from this thread to a phone tree. There are always the obsticals of time, distance and comfort.

Colonial Warrior

Judging from their statement that there are no NAAFA conferences or events planned for the future I'd say the hard core activists succeeded in achieving the pure activism oriented organization they wanted. I just wonder how they expect to exert any political influence in society after chasing away most people that aren't interested in such a strident group but would have been useful Ambassadors of Fat Acceptance. Unfortunately they've become a punchline.
I just feel identified with your words, HereticFA!!!

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I just feel identified with your words, HereticFA!!!
I’m with you both on this one. My late partner was a big financial supporter of NAFFA.... by 2008 he was so disgusted with how they were eliminating the people part and just the board doing what they felt was needed, he refused to support them.

Colonial Warrior

I’m with you both on this one. My late partner was a big financial supporter of NAFFA.... by 2008 he was so disgusted with how they were eliminating the people part and just the board doing what they felt was needed, he refused to support them.
In order to grew up again, the FA movement should be more inclusive. So it's time to move out from the political arena and focus on helping fat people.

By being more inclusive I mean a movement that gathers people from all tendencies : from conservatives to liberals.

Ignorance kills more than fatness itself!!!

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
In order to grew up again, the FA movement should be more inclusive. So it's time to move out from the political arena and focus on helping fat people.

By being more inclusive I mean a movement that gathers people from all tendencies : from conservatives to liberals.

Ignorance kills more than fatness itself!!!
I agree, the thing that Killed NAFFA is that they stopped the social aspect of their organization.

When you say more inclusive, what exactly are you saying? Intersectionality?

Colonial Warrior

I agree, the thing that Killed NAFFA is that they stopped the social aspect of their organization.

When you say more inclusive, what exactly are you saying? Intersectionality?
By inclusivity I mean the people should respect each other opinions and views about issues of political matter.

Three years ago, I used to be an FA activist. I runned a blog and Facebook page in Spanish for bringing the FA movement to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.

I have to left because I had I fight with another activist because I was a traditional family supporter. I was accused of homophobic by that person.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
By inclusivity I mean the people should respect each other opinions and views about issues of political matter.

Three years ago, I used to be an FA activist. I runned a blog and Facebook page in Spanish for bringing the FA movement to Puerto Rico and the Caribbean.

I have to left because I had I fight with another activist because I was a traditional family supporter. I was accused of homophobic by that person.
I understand that frustration. Things get so cloudy and bogged down when you try to address every issue in every issue.

Colonial Warrior

I understand that frustration. Things get so cloudy and bogged down when you try to address every issue in every issue.
And I thank you for understanding. I was really happy to be in this wonderful site were I found so much tolerance to my ideas!!!

''A society were men may not speak their minds cannot longer endure.''

Winston Churchill

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
I'll piggyback on what CW said...

I come here to talk about fat acceptance. I have no desire to incorporate a multitude of other political fights in to my acceptance of fat. I am not looking to tackle racism, sexism, homophobia, the patriarchy or any number of other evils that a vocal component of the community wish to fight. It's not a package deal for me. I am very mission specific for lack of a better description. I am interested fighting on one front and not spreading my limited energy on fighting everything simultaneously.

Based on what I have seen by former Dimensions posters on Facebook, there are a number of people in the community who want to tackle everything at once. In their minds , everything intersects and you can't separate them from each other. I respectfully disagree.

BigElectricKat

Have a question? PM me!
Staff member
Global Moderator
I was lucky (or unlucky depending on your POV :D ) to have met my two ex wives and a number of ex girl friends from outside the scene or online. Another GF was through a dating site. My current GF and I met on Dims but we didn't become a couple until long after she stopped posting.
At least someone has found love. Congrats!

Colonial Warrior

I'll piggyback on what CW said...

I come here to talk about fat acceptance. I have no desire to incorporate a multitude of other political fights in to my acceptance of fat. I am not looking to tackle racism, sexism, homophobia, the patriarchy or any number of other evils that a vocal component of the community wish to fight. It's not a package deal for me. I am very mission specific for lack of a better description. I am interested fighting on one front and not spreading my limited energy on fighting everything simultaneously.

Based on what I have seen by former Dimensions posters on Facebook, there are a number of people in the community who want to tackle everything at once. In their minds , everything intersects and you can't separate them from each other. I respectfully disagree.
I strongly agree with you!!!

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I agree with Screaming Chicken that you can spread yourself too thin: you have to pick your fights carefully. On the other hand, we are all fighting for the same basic thing -- civility -- so it's important that we keep in touch with what others are doing on other fronts. T here will be times when our interests coincide.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
DM Supporter
I’ve been keeping up with thread and the same idea keeps coming to me. Is it really the politics of fat or is it the want to find that safe space to be fat. Brigadoon anyone?

Colonial Warrior

I’ve been keeping up with thread and the same idea keeps coming to me. Is it really the politics of fat or is it the want to find that safe space to be fat. Brigadoon anyone?
Since I was a teenager (in 1980) I was interested in politics. Even in Facebook I use to have political discussions but each and every day I was getting bored of it.

I didn't want to make myself a comfort zone. That's was not my interest.

My interest is only to be part of a movement that really cares about the quality of living of fat people. I feel most of it can be accomplished via socialization.

We live in world that told us that we need to lose weight if we want to have fruitful and enjoyable life. I can't tell you how many times and how many methods I tried to get thin to have things like a job or a partner.

All of that changed the day I get involved working with a friend and mentor who helped me to develop my skills at communicating on social networks. I developed more self confidence and my view of myself changed a whole lot since then.

Here are a few words from that wonderful being:

''You should work on improving your health, your attitude, and your outlook on life, regardless of your weight or size.'' Fatima Parker

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
For me , it's not so much a desire for a safe space to be fat. I prefer a place to discuss fat people issues with other fat folks and their admirers with a reasonable expectation of polite behavior. Like I stated up thread, I don't appreciate my thoughts on fat being dismissed because I am not 100% on board with the stances of other posters on other various topics. I am burnt out on the all or nothing approach. It explains why the some of the membership has bailed out or why some regions of the US with the fattest populations are so underrepresented here. Notice the lack of Southerners here?

Colonial Warrior

For me , it's not so much a desire for a safe space to be fat. I prefer a place to discuss fat people issues with other fat folks and their admirers with a reasonable expectation of polite behavior. Like I stated up thread, I don't appreciate my thoughts on fat being dismissed because I am not 100% on board with the stances of other posters on other various topics. I am burnt out on the all or nothing approach. It explains why the some of the membership has bailed out or why some regions of the US with the fattest populations are so underrepresented here. Notice the lack of Southerners here?
That's what I want too!!!

Colonial Warrior

There are a lot of people out there who are condemned to isolation for the fact they are super sized. Those people need more of a group of friends who want to make feel them part of this society, to make them realize their worth no matter their size!!!

Latest posts