what happened to all the naafa and bbw events?

Discussion in 'Main Dimensions Board' started by svenm2112, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Jul 4, 2018 #61

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

One of the things I tried to get my local NAAFA chapter to do was start some kind of outreach for housebound supersized people.

Offer them someone to talk to, share information about resources that could enrich their lives, and just let them know that they matter and deserve to be part of society. Oftentimes housebound people only have contact with caretakers and healthcare professionals. Sometimes family and church volunteers. Rarely just social interaction for it's own sake.

It never got any traction though. Not enough people to back it, too many in opposition of it.

2. Jul 4, 2018 #62

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

That's what I tried to do years ago. I was unemployed with no resources but if I have the chance to do something to reach that goal, I will open a store like Amplestuff and I will also try to make it a center of a socialization network.

It's so very hard to reach super sized people here. Even with the internet. Like you experienced, Tracyarts!!!

GummyBear and Cynthia like this.
  3. Jul 5, 2018 #63

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

There aren't many fat self-help networks around -- spaces in which people can share things such as emotional support, fat-friendly wellness activities, job leads, health care provider recommendations, clothing swaps, travel advice, and socialization that goes beyond stereotypical hookup party culture. And, when I say "fat friendly," I mean the acceptance of people's right to do what they want with their bodies, based on their particular needs and desires.

4. Jul 5, 2018 #64

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

The DM forums is one of the last stands for all of that.

There are many hook up places outside here!!!

5. Jul 11, 2018 #65

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

Not everyone is comfortable with the content on Dims' boards, so the reach and appeal of this forum will always be limited. And, yes, you are right in that there are many virtual and real hookup places in the SA community. Unfortunately, there's little else.

6. Jul 11, 2018 #66

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

Exactly. There are aspects of the forums which are going to be roadblocks to expanding Dimensions. I can think of three or four things right off the top of my head that are going to be red flags for potential posters.

Colonial Warrior likes this.
  7. Jul 22, 2018 #67

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA

I still follow past members of NAAFA on social media, and from what I can piece together, there was also a some fallout between NAAFA and the supersized community.

8. Jul 22, 2018 #68

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Global Moderator

NAAFA angered a lot of the community that is for sure

9. Jul 22, 2018 #69

tonynyc

tonynyc

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado

Sadly the internet changed the game for many organizations.

1. Why take the time to go to a "brick and mortar" event when one can gather the information that is needed online.
    2. As for NAAFA - the topic of the fallout is worthy of a thread topic of its' own. Perhaps this may have been discussed in earlier threads.
    3. I think there were several things that did in NAAFA. Over the years, other folks just hosted better parties.

I remember attending one of the last NAAFA events on the East Coast around 2003/2004. The Saturday night dances use to be one of the
    main highlghts;but, this event it was sad.... the attendance was poor and had that "tired" look.

Now I cannot speak for other parts of the country -but, in the tri-state (NY/NJ/CT) area gentrification can make it difficult to find a venue at a resonable price.

10. Jul 23, 2018 #70

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA

Another topic I would to see here is if we should now consider ourselves in a post NAAFA world, and if so how to proceed.

11. Jul 24, 2018 #71

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

I would definately say it is a post NAAFA world, if you are talking about the Social side of things.

12. Jul 24, 2018 #72

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

I agree 100 percent with that!!!

13. Jul 26, 2018 #73

Recardo Admirer

Recardo Admirer

Recardo Admirer

Do you think that a meetup group is a better platform for collaborative event planning? Perhaps followed by a Forum "Blast Message" informing Forum visitors/members of its existence?

14. Jul 26, 2018 #74

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Putting together is a big undertaking. I have no idea where to start.

15. Jul 26, 2018 #75

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

It's a great idea, but it's hard to materialize because there's a lot of apathy!!!

ScreamingChicken likes this.
  16. Jul 27, 2018 #76

Recardo Admirer

Recardo Admirer

Recardo Admirer

To be sure there is a lot of apathy. It is up to those who are motivated to shake those in the trance out of it, if they are willing. Some people have to be shown there is another way. So..who is motivated besides me?

17. Aug 4, 2018 #77

GummyBear

GummyBear

GummyBear

So are reading all of this and what the size acceptance/fat acceptance and now size positivity, it just keeps changing names.

What sort of person would you like to see to stand up not only for the online community but for all people of size, if its gainers, or just bbw/ssbbw, or bhm/ssbhm, Fat Admirer and everything in between!

What actions would you want someone to take this whole world that "Big Is Beautiful" and to not be ashamed of who we are, or the people around us?

Were would 1 person start to try and have one voice for the whole community, real life, online (virtual i.e. dims), to those who do not even know about this online world, NAAFA and such!

I would love your feedback on this, maybe we can find someone on the online community or in RL who is willing to take this massive task/job at hand.

I think it would be super nice to have someone speak up from the chubby to the super super sized women/men, someone to help to make fat discrimation illegal and laws would be in place to not judge a person on there weight, or even at a doctor, hearing every freakin time you need WLS.

Would love your input/advice/suggestions or anything else you want to share!

18. Aug 5, 2018 #78

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

There are already many individuals and groups that are doing this, including NAAFA. The issue really is those groups don’t have a social element as in the past.

19. Aug 6, 2018 #79

GummyBear

GummyBear

GummyBear

Well I agree with that, do you think there is someone who would bring all of these groups together and have a leader/small group that can take all of these groups, NAAFa and the other groups, and the online boards and such like that. What kind of person would you want to do that and make things from each group for everyone as a whole, more then just bits and pieces.

Does anyone have an idea, of who might be a good spokesperson for this community and I guess the movement, or do you think there shouldnt be a spokesperson and this community should just keep moving on with bits and pieces and all these different groups and organization to be pushing out there thoughts but not working together to make a better community and maybe make changes to make size disrimation illegal and not all people need or want WLS! Like hearing that every time you go to the doctor, or there is airlines that have thought about requiring people to be under a certain weight and if there not they will weigh u and charge the different on the ticket and the seat(s), or like being discrimated agasint for being any size and discrimating and judging someone of size, any size and that should now society to contunie to do this to others.

I mean we were all built different ways for a reason and different bodies and I mean is there someone in any of those communites that you could see be a spokesperson?

I know that is going to be a huge task and a huge responsiblity, the right person it wouldnt be for fame or to be an idol, but to be a spokesperson for the size/fat community, in every aspect and in every group online and off line!

I mean what sort of changes would you like to see? What kind of person do you think we all need to stay up and be a role model and I guess kind of like Martin Luther King and his fights for blacks to have equal rights.....would any of you even consider to find someone who can do that for the size/fat community and will do it in a pleasing and positive light?

Or does everyone just want to keep going in the several different groups that are happening now!

How can we all work together to make it a better place for everyone?

What are you thoughts, suggestions and feedback?

Or should we just keep going on like we are all going and not try and find someone who would be a good example of size/fat acceptance and all of that?

20. Aug 20, 2018 #80

Mack27

Mack27

Mack27

AΔΦΆΓΙΑ