what happened to all the naafa and bbw events?

Discussion in 'Main Dimensions Board' started by svenm2112, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Jul 4, 2018 #61

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

Tracyarts

One of the things I tried to get my local NAAFA chapter to do was start some kind of outreach for housebound supersized people.

Offer them someone to talk to, share information about resources that could enrich their lives, and just let them know that they matter and deserve to be part of society. Oftentimes housebound people only have contact with caretakers and healthcare professionals. Sometimes family and church volunteers. Rarely just social interaction for it's own sake.

It never got any traction though. Not enough people to back it, too many in opposition of it.

2. Jul 4, 2018 #62

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

That's what I tried to do years ago. I was unemployed with no resources but if I have the chance to do something to reach that goal, I will open a store like Amplestuff and I will also try to make it a center of a socialization network.

It's so very hard to reach super sized people here. Even with the internet. Like you experienced, Tracyarts!!!

Cynthia likes this.
  3. Jul 5, 2018 #63

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

There aren't many fat self-help networks around -- spaces in which people can share things such as emotional support, fat-friendly wellness activities, job leads, health care provider recommendations, clothing swaps, travel advice, and socialization that goes beyond stereotypical hookup party culture. And, when I say "fat friendly," I mean the acceptance of people's right to do what they want with their bodies, based on their particular needs and desires.

4. Jul 5, 2018 #64

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

Colonial Warrior

The DM forums is one of the last stands for all of that.

There are many hook up places outside here!!!

5. Jul 11, 2018 #65

Cynthia

Cynthia

Cynthia

Not everyone is comfortable with the content on Dims' boards, so the reach and appeal of this forum will always be limited. And, yes, you are right in that there are many virtual and real hookup places in the SA community. Unfortunately, there's little else.

6. Jul 11, 2018 #66

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

ScreamingChicken

One of 50,298

Exactly. There are aspects of the forums which are going to be roadblocks to expanding Dimensions. I can think of three or four things right off the top of my head that are going to be red flags for potential posters.

7. Jul 22, 2018 at 4:53 AM #67

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA

I still follow past members of NAAFA on social media, and from what I can piece together, there was also a some fallout between NAAFA and the supersized community.

8. Jul 22, 2018 at 5:52 AM #68

DragonFly

DragonFly

DragonFly

Ahem Prema Global Moderator

NAAFA angered a lot of the community that is for sure

9. Jul 22, 2018 at 11:29 PM #69

tonynyc

tonynyc

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado

Sadly the internet changed the game for many organizations.

1. Why take the time to go to a "brick and mortar" event when one can gather the information that is needed online.
    2. As for NAAFA - the topic of the fallout is worthy of a thread topic of its' own. Perhaps this may have been discussed in earlier threads.
    3. I think there were several things that did in NAAFA. Over the years, other folks just hosted better parties.

I remember attending one of the last NAAFA events on the East Coast around 2003/2004. The Saturday night dances use to be one of the
    main highlghts;but, this event it was sad.... the attendance was poor and had that "tired" look.

Now I cannot speak for other parts of the country -but, in the tri-state (NY/NJ/CT) area gentrification can make it difficult to find a venue at a resonable price.

10. Jul 23, 2018 at 5:10 AM #70

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

EtobicokeFA

Proud FA

Another topic I would to see here is if we should now consider ourselves in a post NAAFA world, and if so how to proceed.