Quantcast

What keeps you Motivated to Exercise?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
J34 posted this excellent question Daily Exercise Report Thread and this question certainly deserves a thread of it’s own ….

“Question- how do you stay on track and motivated to exercise? At one point point I was doing well, and then I fell of the wagon 2 weeks later. Any advice?”

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
I'm in no position to offer advice about exercise: all I can do is say what has worked for me. High school gym class taught me that doing 3783 sit-ups (Well, it seemed like that many!) is boring, so I looked for a way to exercise that I could work into my everyday routine, rather than having to make special arrangements for it. I enjoy walking, and my office is 3/4 mile from my home, so I walk to and from work; it's something I look forward to, and I can do it in all but the foulest weather. I began taking yoga lessons a couple of years back, and with my teacher's help I worked out a daily routine. Since I change into leisure clothes anyway when I get home, it's a perfect opportunity to do yoga, which is less repetitive and (to me, anyway) more enjoyable than calisthenics. My wife and I enjoy ballroom dancing, so we take a lesson every week and go out dancing on Friday nights: two workouts that are also fun. And since all the above concentrates on the lower body, I have a thera-band and some arm/shoulder exercises my orthopedist gave me to maintain upper-body strength. Since it fits into my regular routine, it's easy to keep up; if I have to skip a day, I miss it!

Jah

Veggie girl
https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
Everyone has different motivations for exercise. You have to discover what works for you.
What works for me is making sure I don't do too much in one day. I feel proud of myself when I exercise because I know I've done something to better my health. The increased mobility also is another good motivator.

Miss Vickie

Uhhh, nothing? Which is why I don't exercise in the true sense of the word. However, on my 12 hour work days I walk miles around our unit, caring for my patients and then take the dogs on a 30 minute walk. On my days off, the dogs get a longer walk. But that's more for their benefit than mine.

I wish I exercised more consistently but between work and school and my lung disease, it's just not happening right now.

Jon Blaze

FALCON
DM Supporter
- It makes me feel good. A great stress reliever, but Martial Arts is my ultimate stress killer.

- My health.

- It's fun.

- It helps me sleep better.

- A good counter to my addiction.

- It allows me to be better at what I like do the most: Punch, kick, knee, choke, maim my opponent. :p

Tracyarts

Mainly because medication isn't enough to manage some of my health issues, I have to put forth at least some effort in the lifestyle department in order to stay well.

But I don't like exercising anymore, because of the pain and stamina factor. Still, I force myself do enough to make the difference in my health. And in the hopes that over time my stamina and mobility will increase and I can do more of the everyday things that I miss.

Tracy

Cynthia

This is a really great thread idea. Consistency is a huge problem for me.... It seems to be either 4x/week or not at all. :(

The Nia Technique
is what I love doing the most, not only for the movement form itself but for the creative, nurturing people who are attracted to it. To overcome this consistency problem, I'm beginning to look at finding times and locations for Nia that fit more easily into my particular life rhythms while also exploring other types of fitness, too.

For example, there's a free lunchtime aerobics class at work. I'm not a big fan of traditional aerobics, and it could present a hygiene challenge, but it might be worth trying once or twice a week. Does anyone else do workplace fitness at lunchtime? If so, what are the advantages &/or disadvantages?

I'm hoping the daily exercise report will :)

I know I enjoy my callinetics and yoga but i don't seem to have the energy when in a working week.

Motivation can be difficult to grasp.

LovelyLiz

First - it's definitely about picking something I enjoy. Walking is something I really enjoy, especially just looking around and getting to know my neighborhood better and running into random people, as is swimming, so those are on the usual rotation (though swimming is harder to do, logistically, in terms of getting to a pool and the extra time of changing, drying off, etc. - so I usually do it only once a week).

Second - I tie it to my social time. Like if I'm meeting a close friend for dinner (which I usually do at least a couple times a week), I tend to tie in a walk too - and we'll go for a nice long walk before or after the meal. So I get my exercise in while I'm spending time with friends, which I am going to do anyways. My bf also likes going for walks, so we will do that a lot while we're hanging out too. It's fun to do with someone. (Or with podcasts when I'm alone.)

Third - I am very aware that if I exercise less than 4 times in a week, my mood gets more depressed. And I don't want to be depressed. So that motivates me to get my butt moving, because it really helps with my mental and emotional health.

FatAndProud

I would have to say the results of training keep me motivated. I've said it once, but it bears repeating, there's something awesome about being a strong, fat woman. I might not be able to run miles, but I can definitely hold my own when it comes to things that need strength or endurance.

I love challenges. I see exercise as an extension of personal growth. To be a well-rounded individual, I think it's necessary to challenge yourself in all facets of life - physically, mentally, emotionally.

I also like routines. My whole entire life is a routine and exercise just adds to it. I like stability and order, I guess.

olwen

Disco Bear
Several things motivate me.

1. If I don't get regular exercise the arthritis pains become unbearable. So as long as I exercise at least twice a week I'm ok.
2. I found a low impact exercise I enjoy. Boredom is the ultimate exercise killer for me. If I'm not bored then I look forward to doing it.
3. Convenience. If I have to go out of my way I'm less likely to do it. The pool is a few blocks from work so it's really easy to go after work.
4. Time. Sometimes this is hard. I work overtime a lot and generally have things to do so sometimes I end up going once a week instead of two or three times a week. I prefer to exercise after work. I've thought about getting up an extra two hours early to go before work but that just doesn't happen.
5. Location. I find I am more motivated at the gym or at a yoga center. There are too many distractions at home. the only real issue I have with exercise classes is that most of the time they aren't fat friendly. Aqua workout has been the only exception. If my gym offered fat friendly yoga and pilates I'd be set.

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
What keeps me motivated to do my exercise regimen year in, year out? I am allergic to quitting. I just hate to quit anything I start. Which at times works against me (like when I finished studying architecture in college though I knew about a year into it that it wasn't for me and that I was much more interested in computers) and at times for me (like continuing Dimensions year after year, decade after decade).

The Orange Mage

♓ Fishy Pisces! ♓
If I'm on land, bears. That will keep me running fast.

If I'm in water, sharks. That will keep me swimming fast.

If I'm in the air, bears riding on flying sharks. That will keep me flying fast.

If I'm in space, and I encounter anything nearly that bad, then the Soviets have won the space race!

spacce

the Lost one
My motivation:
#1 : Health , feels good to actually do stuff..
#2 : Intimidation : I'm building muscle instead of losing the weight I'm replacing it with muscle.
#3 : Personal various reasons, but there's a couple people in my past that I just want to punch, punch hard and not have them get up for awhile.. I'll probably won't do that but I want them to think I can. :)
#4: Laughs and snickering: For the people who don't think I could

lypeaches

I am a person who does not particularly enjoy exercising, although I recognize that it benefits my health, both physically and mentally. So I do it fairly regularly. One thing that has helped is my motivation mantra. Anytime I find myself having that little discussion in my head "Should I work out today? I feel tired, and it's raining" or whatever the lame excuse du jour is...I repeat back to myself..."You never regret working out". Followed up with, "and you pretty much ALWAYS regret not working out". And it's true. So that stern reminder generally keeps me going, and I always do feel better after I work out.

The other thing that has helped is that I don't shower until I work out. So I tie the two activities together so it becomes more of a habit. That may not work for everybody though...clearly that only works in certain schedules and situations, I don't advocate going about in public unclean!!

J34

Purple Monkey Dishwasher!
Awesome! A thread derived from my question, I am most honored :bow:
Keep the advice coming!

When I was exercising I was doing quite well and was losing close to 3lbs a week. Though my main problem is I don't reall have a place to exercise unless is in my bedroom. Plus when you do jumping exercises in your room on a 2nd floor apartment it tends to bother the neighbors depending on the time of the day you do it. I would join a gym, but the cost of membership and a 6 mile drive seem not worth the trouble. So I just walk/run around the park by my house several times a week. I am not losing the consitent amount of weight when I was doing the exercise program, but at least I am staying active. Though I hope to soon jump back on the exercise program