Quantcast

What kind of HS extracurricular activities did you do?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Munchausen

Dedicated Amateur
@penguin, your time management skills must've been better than the ones at my school. :) There's no way we would've got a yearbook done meeting once a week.

Was it easy for you to perform in front of people? I admire people that put themselves through that. I would not enjoy it.

Reactions: Tad

Ffancy

I didn’t go in for school-based activities but I was *very* involved in my local 4-H club. The projects I did were:
- Dairy calf
- Sheep
- Woodworking
- Outdoorsman
- Photography
- Public Speaking
- Floriculture
- Veterinary Science
- Orienteering (competed in the provincial championships twice!)

I also played on a rec baseball team in my neighbourhood, which I loved even though I was a slow runner and uncoordinated.

penguin

Fnord
DM Supporter
@penguin, your time management skills must've been better than the ones at my school. :) There's no way we would've got a yearbook done meeting once a week.
I went to a small school, just grades 11 and 12 (we had an all girls and an all boys school doing 8-10 that fed into our school), with around 200 students all up, so it wasn’t difficult. We may have stayed after school sometimes, but rarely.

Was it easy for you to perform in front of people? I admire people that put themselves through that. I would not enjoy it.
I was assistant director, so I didn’t have to worry about that 😂

Colonial Warrior

Does playing video games at game rooms count?

It's just because it was the only thing I was good at that time. My friends then knew it.

I remember I played a fantastic game called Gyruss. One I played for an hour with only one quarter. It was on 1984.

Last edited:

Tracyarts

The first high school I went to (9th-10th grade) was a smaller Catholic school. I was on the dance/drill team. Which was fun, I really enjoyed the dancing and the group dynamic. But it was a huge time commitment. We had practice and other activities after school, a lot of weekends, winter and spring break, and summer vacation.

The second high school I went to (11th-12th grade) was a large public school. And I wasn't even eligible to try out for the dance team because I was too tall. I was invited to audition to be a flag twirler in the marching band (they actually preferred tall girls) but I decided I didn't want to commit a lot of my free time to extracurricular activities anymore. I wanted plenty of time to work and socialize and just go out and enjoy myself. I did do a couple of academic competitions and volunteered to do wardrobe/makeup for a play during those two years, but those were only temporary commitments. For the most part I wanted to spend the required time at school, and not a minute more. I didn't hate school, I just liked other things better. lol

stampy

DimensionsModel
I was a future farmer of america. One of my main motivations in joining it was not to make my dad happy (which it did) but I knew the FFA was always going on trips, getting out of other classes, holding barbecues and having snacks in class, going on lots of field trips, and having lots of contests, which we would go to in the school van and often stop to eat and our meals were sometimes paid for by the club. I was quite good at the agronomy contest in identifying bugs and seeds and weeds. I hated school and welcomed any chance for a diversion...the FFA helped me really slack off!!!

Munchausen

Dedicated Amateur
@Tracyarts, did they say why height was restricted on the dance team? No reason immediately comes to mind in the same way that I can rationalize height restrictions for jockeys and pilots.

@stampy, way to excel at slacking. You really went the extra mile (wait a minute... :) ). I'm proud of your rather pragmatic rationale here. You sound like you had a good head on your shoulders even in high school.

Tracyarts

It was common for highly competitive schools to require the girls on the drill/kick/dance team to have a very consistent appearance in line-up. If you were too tall or too short, you would stand out too much. The height restriction was 5'4-5'8". I was 5'11". The first school I went to wasn't very competitive, any girl could be on the team if she could do the required dance moves. I remember seeing teams at competitions from very large schools, where the girls looked like clones. Down to hairstyles.

@Tracyarts, did they say why height was restricted on the dance team? No reason immediately comes to mind in the same way that I can rationalize height restrictions for jockeys and pilots.

Reactions: Tad

Munchausen

Dedicated Amateur
It was common for highly competitive schools to require the girls on the drill/kick/dance team to have a very consistent appearance in line-up. If you were too tall or too short, you would stand out too much. The height restriction was 5'4-5'8". I was 5'11". The first school I went to wasn't very competitive, any girl could be on the team if she could do the required dance moves. I remember seeing teams at competitions from very large schools, where the girls looked like clones. Down to hairstyles.
Whoa. That's wild. And the clone thing is a little icky feeling. Girls have got it rough.

littlefairywren

Wren aka ISFJ
DM Supporter
I was a future farmer of america. One of my main motivations in joining it was not to make my dad happy (which it did) but I knew the FFA was always going on trips, getting out of other classes, holding barbecues and having snacks in class, going on lots of field trips, and having lots of contests, which we would go to in the school van and often stop to eat and our meals were sometimes paid for by the club. I was quite good at the agronomy contest in identifying bugs and seeds and weeds. I hated school and welcomed any chance for a diversion...the FFA helped me really slack off!!!
I saw FFA and all I read was Female Fat Admirer hehe.

curvluver

I was fairly active in HS and played in concert and jazz bands (tuba or trombone depending on what was needed), basketball team, rowing team, debate team, chess club, role playing club, physics club, and others I can't even recall right now.

SSBHM

football, basketball, baseball, journalism, drama, choir, glee club, honor society

wished we had a golf, ski, and tennis team

Latest posts