What's your favorite potato dish/

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by smithnwesson, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Nov 17, 2014 #21

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

My top 5 would be: cheesy dutch oven potatoes (see above), hash browns, Alton Brown's Cold fashioned potatoes (salad), twice baked, and Cracker Barrel's hash brown casserole.

2. Nov 17, 2014 #22

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

My number one choice would be the potato gratin I make. OMG so good. Followed by a big pan of fried potatoes, mashed potatoes, baked potatoes and then hash brown casserole.

3. Nov 17, 2014 #23

smithnwesson

smithnwesson

smithnwesson

Drug dealer

So....Would ya like to expand on that, just a little bit? Recipe? Photo?

4. Nov 17, 2014 #24

Marlayna

Marlayna

Marlayna

I never met a potato dish I didn't like, but my favorite is oven-browned potatoes roasted in a pan with meat.:eat2:

5. Nov 17, 2014 #25

BigCutieJuliet

BigCutieJuliet

BigCutieJuliet

I think I like pretty much every potato dish, BUT my favorite would probably be loaded potato skins with bacon, cheese, and everything else on them. Oh yeah, definitely hungry now.

No lie, though, I have a friend who loves potatoes even more than I do. I have seen him pick up a raw potato and eat it more than once. O.O

6. Nov 17, 2014 #26

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

MisticalMisty

I take 2-3 large baking potatoes, wash them well and use the mandolin to slice them very thin. I take a pint to a pint and a half *depending on how many potatoes I have* of heavy whipping cream and steep 6-7 cloves of garlic, a couple tsp of dried thyme and a couple tsp of dried rosemary, and salt and pepper to taste for about 10 minutes. I strain the liquid and pour a little in the bottom of my pan. Layer all the potatoes in the pan and then pour the remaining liquid on top. Bake covered in a 350 oven for about an hour. Take the lid off and bake another 30 minutes. They taste creamy and cheesy and there's no cheese involved. So good!
    View attachment 117428

7. Nov 18, 2014 #27

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Moving Forward

The potato soup at IHOP is surprisingly good. And it's really great at Chilis

Yeah I love most things made from potatoes

However, I quoted you because Asheville wants to wave to Gastonia :)

8. Nov 24, 2014 #28

Jah

Jah

Jah

Veggie girl

https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
    Jacket potatoes with cheese and pineapple, mashed potatoes in general and baked potatoes.

Fuzzy likes this.
  9. Nov 25, 2014 #29

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man

I'd like to find a good jacketed potatoes recipe. Hmm.

10. Nov 25, 2014 #30

Jah

Jah

Jah

Veggie girl

https://www.facebook.com/candice.brown.71404,
    So would I. I usually get jacket potatoes from fast food places and pick the ingredients from what they have available.

11. Nov 25, 2014 #31

smithnwesson

smithnwesson

smithnwesson

Drug dealer

Thanks, Misty. That couldn't possibly suck!

12. Jul 15, 2015 #32

Jigen

Jigen

Jigen

It's hard to choose only one. I'd say potato croquettes with diced speck and brie.

13. Jul 15, 2015 #33

dwesterny

dwesterny

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump

All the canadians on this board and no votes for poutine yet? I still refuse to try it but they seem to love it.

My favorite is baked with the skin rubbed with olive oil and coarse sea salt.

14. Jul 15, 2015 #34

Tad

Tad

Tad

mostly harmless

I can think of two factors there: a favorite dish usually suggests something that you have with some regularity, and something that you have at home.

I would think that very few people eat poutine regularly. Let’s face it, the combination of deep fried carbs, gravy, and cheese has probably justifiably earned the nickname “heart-attack in a dish.” Even teenagers that I know enjoy it occasionally, but not even weekly (I’m sure there are people who have it more often, but I don’t think that a lot of people do).

And it is something that is almost always eaten out: stereotypically at a chip-wagon or snack bar, but sometimes at a restaurant. You can make it at home if you have a deep-fryer, gravy, and fresh cheese curds—but that makes rather a lot of effort and special shopping (cheese curds are only really nice for one or two days, so you pretty much need to buy them when you are going to use them).

So it would be a bit like if you asked people their favorite cookie, you wouldn’t expect a lot of answers of “deep-fired Oreos.”

15. Jul 15, 2015 #35

dwesterny

dwesterny

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump

I'm mot certain I agree that your favorite has to be something eaten regularly and prepared at home. My favorite meal would have to be Paella. I made it once properly and have had it out less than 10 times in my life. Casa Luis in Smithtown, NY with plenty of Sangria if anyone is from Long Island.

The fried oreo comparison makes sense if you consider it more of a specialty preparation.

16. Jul 15, 2015 #36

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

I recently discovered potatoes O'Brien, and I think they deserve a mention.

17. Jul 15, 2015 #37

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

MsBrightside

This is going off on a bit of a tangent, but I watched Chopped last night (US version), and the basket of ingredients for the appetizer round contained poutine, Italian sausages in buns, tomatillos, and morel mushrooms. :blink:

It's tough to pick a favorite potato dish. I agree with all the baked/jacket potato lovers, though: a big, well-prepared baked potato with your toppings of choice is hard to beat.

I also love natural-cut fries with salt and vinegar, but they're not so easy to get in the US unless you carry a bottle of malt vinegar around with you. :p But Cullers always has them at the Illinois State Fair (you can find Cullers booths at lots of other fairs, too. :)).

18. Jul 18, 2015 #38

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

luvmybhm

waiting for spring!

i am all about the mashed. with butter, salt, pepper and milk. old school.
    if i am feeling wild i might mush in some cheddar cheese or some sauteed garlic.

i don't make them very often, but i love scalloped potatoes. they are usually super messy to make (even when i put the casserole dish on a sheet pan the milk seems to boil over and make a mess). i usually end up cutting them by hand. i like the whole thin slices and i always end up having to cut the potato at least in half if i want to use the slicer disc in my food processor to cut them. when they come out right, they are super delish!

19. Jul 18, 2015 #39

dwesterny

dwesterny

dwesterny

Unpleasantly Plump

What's taters, precious?

20. Jul 18, 2015 #40

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd

Does anyone here like colcannon? It's mashed potato mixed with sauteed cabbage and onion, covered with cheese and baked as a casserole. At least, that's the recipe I have; an authentic Scot (are you reading this, Ruby?) might do it differently.