• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Article on the Myer Plus Size Fashion Show Made me see red!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
Actually not just the lack of information in the Article for example it was a very poorly advertised show. I only knew about it from BBW Australias fb page not only this to add insult to injury tickets were $80 now who has that kind of money to splash around on what ended up being a huge honking dissappointment re clothes. I posted a comment that hasnt been published (I can live with that but it did have info re health at any size and the price and lack of advertising)

heres a link for the pics from the show and article I wouldnt read the comments your head might explode at some of the ignorance

Myer Plus Size Fashion Show

also posted the article below for anyone who wants to skip the pics

"BIG can be beautiful but fat should not be in fashion.

At yesterday's plus-size runway show at Fashion Festival Sydney, curvaceous women replaced their leaner peers to showcase Myer's size 16 to 24 clothes.

The models were gorgeous, the clothes were unremarkable and the message about health was dangerous. Professional models, including plus-size pin-up Robyn Lawley, strutted and pouted alongside 10 winners of a competition run by Myer and The Australian Women's Weekly. Most of the models looked healthy but some looked obese. While most fashion festivals ban models for being too skinny, why is it OK to see fat women on the runway?

There is a place for women of all sizes in the fashion media, as seen by the positive response to a plus-size shoot with Lawley in this month's Vogue Australia, but obese models send just as irresponsible a message about the need for healthy eating and exercise as models with protruding clavicles and ribcages.

Fashion models should not be confused with role models, which is difficult to avoid with the attention given to the fame and fortunes of Jennifer Hawkins and Miranda Kerr. There are no rallies for plus-size male models or complaints that Dior Homme does not make size 40 waist jeans because most men have escaped this cultural curse.

Models have always been thin and tall because clothes look better on them.

Fashion is a world of fantasy carried out by smoke, mirrors and significant retouching, often to make models look bigger rather than thinner. The smoke cleared and the mirror cracked yesterday with the plus-size show delivering a confronting reality.

When it came to the clothing, there was little to aspire to, with basic linen dresses, capri pants and forgiving jeans.

Fashion Festival Sydney is about selling clothes and the plus-size market deserves to be represented but let's not add another double standard to the fashion industry by celebrating people being overweight.

Women of all sizes are savvy enough to draw inspiration on how to dress from healthy, thin models. Perhaps that's why the Sydney Town Hall was only half full for the plus-size show."

Latest posts

Back