Breaking a fast metabolism

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

bsack

Hi all,

New to the community. Just wanted to ask if anyone has any tips on breaking a fast metabolism. Been skinny(at about 170lbs) for a couple years now and just looking for advice on how to increase weight. Ideally want to get a bhm(300-400) built.

Also apologies if someone has asked this already.

Thanks all!

SSBHM

Not sure I have the answer but here are things to try.

Lots of snacking almost all the time - cookies, nuts, soft drinks, juices, lots of bread, pasta snacks, mac n cheese, cake, pies, brownies, ice cream, milkshakes. Probably pushing your limit all the time too is essential. Extra meal each day or even two - pre-breakfast, pre-dinner, and, or late night pre-bed time snack. Also getting up in the middle of the night to eat packs pounds on for sure - up at 2 eat for half hour and back to bed.

tracii 4591

That takes time so don't think you can do it week or two.
Eat more often and have larger portions at each meal then snack more often.
Eat a bowl of ice cream before bed helps too.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Staff member
Global Moderator
Library Mod
Thank you all! Will give these a try.
It may be one part fast metabolism, but in large part it is probably your body just being very good at what it is supposed to do, which is maintain a stable weight. Please do appreciate that all of your body systems are aligned and working well!

That said, if you really want to gain, it is probably going to take quite a bit of discipline, because you are going to have to overcome your body's natural efforts to keep your weight steady. Think of it as a diet, just a gaining diet instead of a reducing diet. All the things you have read about diets apply -- plan out your meals and snacks, read nutrition labels, don't let your (lack of) hunger control your eating.

Mr. Jigglesworth

A true Meatierologist.
Eating more is good, I remember Gaining Goddess talking about drinking heavy cream and putting on 150lbs. in a years time. So I've put myself on that plan and adding heavy cream to my coffee, glasses of whole milk, when mashing potatoes whatever and I chug up over a pint before bedtime and chase it with whole milk to add calories but wash it down, really stretching my belly and adding inches.

waldo

Eating more is good, I remember Gaining Goddess talking about drinking heavy cream and putting on 150lbs. in a years time. So I've put myself on that plan and adding heavy cream to my coffee, glasses of whole milk, when mashing potatoes whatever and I chug up over a pint before bedtime and chase it with whole milk to add calories but wash it down, really stretching my belly and adding inches.

Ah yes, Gaining Goddess! That rapid weight gain, that you described, resulted in her developing the most epic stretch marks ever. 😍

waldo

It may be one part fast metabolism, but in large part it is probably your body just being very good at what it is supposed to do, which is maintain a stable weight. Please do appreciate that all of your body systems are aligned and working well!

That said, if you really want to gain, it is probably going to take quite a bit of discipline, because you are going to have to overcome your body's natural efforts to keep your weight steady. Think of it as a diet, just a gaining diet instead of a reducing diet. All the things you have read about diets apply -- plan out your meals and snacks, read nutrition labels, don't let your (lack of) hunger control your eating.

Does anyone know what is the current status of the old set-point theory on body weight and how it might be related to yo-yo dieting up the weight scale?
The idea being: go on an extremely low calorie diet (like 1000-1500 cal per day) for a few weeks. This causes your body to detect you are experiencing 'famine' circumstances and will raise its set-point (weight it attempts to maintain, as Tad described) to guard against future famine conditions. Then when you go back to a more normal calorie intake, you quickly gain back what was lost and then some. So, at one time, it was thought that many people (including a high percentage of the super fat 400+ pound people) likely go through this yo-yo cycle and ultimately end up fatter than they would have if they never tried to diet and lose weight at all.

Mr. Jigglesworth

A true Meatierologist.
I've been doing that too for awhile now, going all day without eating til between 7-9pm and then eating a bowl of soup or ramen, followed by chugging heavy cream and whole milk right before bedtime and it's helped a little bit, but I can't seem to go back to eating more food like I used to or even 3 square meals a day. I'm diabetic and in addition to Metformin, I take a once weekly Ozembic shot. This I believe is what's causing my appetite to diminish the way it is. I told my doctor, but he's waiting on lab results before deciding to take me off of it. Has any other member who's diabetic had these symptoms or troubles eating like they normally did prior?

Latest posts