Breaking Chairs!

Discussion in 'Weight Board' started by snapon1, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Sep 26, 2015 #21

Lear

Lear

Lear

I've sat in some very sturdy chairs like that, but at 380 i'd still be looking for another place to sit first.

2. Sep 27, 2015 #22

fredco

fredco

fredco

Yes, she did. It was a cheap metal-plastic fold chair. She pulled it up and just let herself fall on it. The whole chair tilted to the side and I saw that the metal parts on one side was bent. She didn't care, she kept sitting on it while the chair tilted more and more to the side. Eventually she just stood up and took another chair.

3. Aug 25, 2018 #23

anonymous.viewerun

anonymous.viewerun

anonymous.viewerun

Hello Warrior;) Do you have any of the photos on which your woman is siiting on something making it bended? It would be perfect to see that If that is not problem please share it with us:) It seems we share the same passion;)

4. Aug 28, 2018 #24

andycarter

andycarter

andycarter

I'll probably copy-paste this into the Things We Break thread, but here's an experience I had very recently...

Someone who is much heavier even than me needs help getting around, so I, her daughter, my partner, and a woman who is almost my size, took her to a meetup she wanted to attend at a high school. She needs help getting her scooter up the ramp into her van, she needs to get off the scooter to go through doorways and someone has to ride the scooter through the door, she needs help in/out of chairs, someone has to be able to help her if she falls, etc. Her daughter is happy to have help.

We rehearsed this trip a week before, to be sure there wasn't anything she wouldn't be able to do, and all seemed well. But on the day of the event, they changed classrooms. There was no room to maneuver her scooter in the room, no place she could park it without obstructing other attendees, etc. Not a big deal, she can walk from the hall to a seat in the room, and the scooter can wait outside. Even had a plug we could recharge it.

The chairs in this room seem ideal. When you're that heavy (even my weight is a concern) you can't sit in chairs that have straight rear legs without risk of breaking them. The chair racks backward when your weight is so heavy on the front of it. There has to be at least some slant to the rear legs. And these chairs have angled legs that meet at the outside center of the seat. These types of chairs are very stable. The only risk is that the legs spread and the chair collapses. There's a risk of that on a tile floor...and this is a tile floor.

These chairs are plastic with a metal frame. The frame goes through the plastic, too. They seem sturdy, if a bit narrow. We think she should sit on two, but that's apparently tougher to pull off without accident than I realize and she insists on sitting on one. She swears these will hold her. Her daughter concurs. We back one of them up to the wall so it doesn't scoot backwards. There's a ledge at the bottom of the wall that prevents us from backing it all the way up to the wall, but it will do. I and her daughter each grab an arm and she sits.

Brop! Screech! The chair sinks and the legs spread wide, but it holds. Pop! Sounds like plastic ripping, but the chair holds. She says the front of the chair has bent and she needs to get up. We help her up.

The front of the chair, forward of the legs, has bent, and the plastic is creased. She says she'll have to sit farther back on it. Her daughter suggests a new chair, or two chairs, but she doesn't want to damage another one and insists on sitting back on this one.

We help her sit again, and she sits farther back, bending the hell out of the back of the chair. Woomph! Pop! Grind! The legs of the chair spread wildly, but it holds. The back of the chair seems to have broken, but she seems good with it.

She's so much bigger than the chair you can't really tell what she's sitting on.

We take our seats. The other heavy woman is startled a bit by how much her chair sinks, but it's nothing compared to the larger woman. She and I sit against the wall with the largest woman, as we won't fit behind the tables, either. As low as the largest woman's chair has sunk, she's still sitting taller than I am because her butt is so thick. The chairs bend quite a bit under the others of us, too. They aren't as sturdy as we thought.

She says she's having trouble balancing because she isn't centered. We help her up, and back down. Screech! Pop! The legs spread wildly again, and it holds her. We sit down again.

She can't decide if she should keep her legs under her to support her weight, or stretch them forward, which is more comfortable. The chair pitches down in front when she does that, and back again when she puts them under her, and she has to lean to one side and then the other to put them back under her. The chair makes plasticy popping noises and metallic whines and screeches when she moves, and when she leans the legs spread even more, and then recover when she leans the other way. She does this several times during the meeting. Near the end of it she looks uncomfortable and makes a twisting motion to position herself farther back on the chair, and then she leans forward, the chair makes popping and grinding noises, she lifts herself the best she can, the chair looks like it unbends under her, she sits farther back and puts her weight back on it. Crunch! Pop! Screech! This is the best view I've had of the chair bending under her, since I'm not standing over her. The legs spread so much I can't believe it doesn't collapse.

When it was over, and she leaned forward to get up, the chair made a loud cracking noise and sank even more. We hauled her out of it before it collapsed. She hadn't broken it completely, but it did not recover its shape, the legs stayed spread a little, the front of it was bent, the plastic was creased and there were other stress fractures in the seat, and the plastic leg braces over the tops of the legs were bent and spread wide and had stress fractures in them. And the back of the chair was bent badly.

I had bounced a little bit hard on my chair and loved the feel of it bending and the legs spreading wide, and the front of mine was a little bent but not creased, the leg braces did show a little stress fracturing, but the chair mostly recovered. I had leaned a little hard against the back of it but I chickened out when I heard a plasticy popping noise. But the back of my chair didn't looked damaged. The other large woman had bent her seat more than I did, but it wasn't creased.

I sat in the very heavy woman's chair before we left, and it made screeching noises and it bent more than my own had. She had damaged the frame or something.

I hope we go back. That was fun!

Last edited: Aug 29, 2018
    John Smith likes this.
  5. Dec 18, 2018 #25

andycarter

andycarter

andycarter

Another chair that didn't quite break but will be forever changed by a very heavy lady story...

I had another meetup with the woman I described in the previous post. This time we had the normal classroom so I got to sit on a bendy chair and so did a nearly 600 pound woman with us, but the heaviest of us stayed in her scooter, so I didn't get to see her sit on a bendy chair. But we also went to a restaurant, and they had lovely chairs. The dining room was up three stairs, so the scooter waited at the entrance and the very heavy woman got to sit in the chairs.

They were a one-piece plastic seat with a metal frame. I think they were reproductions of a classic design. The legs are slanted, so they spread under a heavy load, but these are reinforced part way down the legs, so they barely spread at all under my weight, to my recollection. They should hold her no problem, but the weakness of this chair is the way the seat is mounted to the frame. There are four mounts that can break, or over time the plastic can bend around them and form circular stress marks around the mounts. The seat itself can get stress fractures. These chairs look to be in great shape.

We back one of them up to a railing and the heavy woman sits in it without our assistance, which means she landed harder than we want. Crack! It makes so much noise she pauses, not fully back on the chair. But it holds. I'm looking down her back so I can see how much wider she is than the chair. She makes a twisting motion to scoot herself backwards and I can see the back of the chair bending with every move. When she seems to be on it alright she leans forward, pushes back and sits again. Crack! She ignores it and leans back. The back of the chair bends and it makes a plasticy grating noise.

That's pretty much how our meal went. Me paying a lot of attention to a chair :) It seemed to be holding her just fine, but it bent and made noises.

While I was placing our order, I got to see her from behind and slightly below. Normally I wouldn't get to see much of the legs of her chair, but from below I could see the whole chair. I saw that when she moved the seat pitched forward and back on the frame, and the frame twisted. She's only about 1/3 heavier than I am, so these chairs must do that under me, too, so they bend more than I thought. I also got a good look at the legs and compared them to an empty chair. They bent more than I thought, too. I got to see the other heavy woman bounce a bit on her chair as she scooted forward. The seat bent quite a bit! I watched her scoot backward, stand up, sit back down, and bounce while she pulled the chair forward again. She wasn't being the least bit careful, and holy crap it bent!

And that's pretty much all there is to this story. I got to see some very heavy women from somewhat below, and I got to see their chairs bend. I got a new appreciation for how much these chairs bend when someone my size sits in them. When I got back to the table I dropped pretty hard on my chair and felt it bounce and bend, and I did that again and again to reposition myself, and I leaned hard against the seat back and felt it bend a lot. I heard that plasticy grating sound as the seat pitched and twisted the frame. And I knew that the heaviest woman's chair was being punished even more than mine was. She was sitting with her legs spread and she was leaning a bit forward, and I knew this was loading the front of her chair heavily. And she made lovely plasticy popping and grating noises as she leaned forward and back, and occasionally she'd make a loud screech or crack that her daughter noticed, and surely everyone else did, too.

When she got up, which loaded the front of her chair even more, she made screeching and popping noises. Her seat had new stress fractures at the front corners and where the four mounts were. I wanted to sit in it but I didn't.

6. Feb 13, 2019 #26

ChocolateBear

ChocolateBear

ChocolateBear

One. It was already on the way to destruction, but it was at a hotel in Texas somewhere in the middle of nowhere. I felt proud.

7. Feb 13, 2019 #27

Jay78

Jay78

Jay78

My in-laws have these white plastic lawn chairs in their three season porch. I know at some point I will break one and am kind of looking forward to it!

8. Feb 13, 2019 #28

ChocolateBear

ChocolateBear

ChocolateBear

Those things never look stable.