Can you pick up women at a Chinese buffet?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

CleverBomb

On Space Out
Serious answer:

Assuming reasonable conversational skill (and the ability to come across as "not desperate for a date" and "not creepy"), it ought to be fairly easy to strike up a casual conversation in the buffet line. Ask her opinion of the food item she's currently taking or contemplating, and perhaps suggest items that you like. Ask her for recommendations, too. Discuss how the line is moving (is it slow? moving quickly?) or how crowded (or not) the restaurant is. For the love of G_d, do NOT insist that she didn't take enough food! LOL

Might not get you a seat at her table or vice versa the first time, but it's a good place to start.

DianaSSBBW

What not to do ..A few years back in December, in a mall full of people, I was standing at Auntie Anne's Pretzel waiting for my order and a short and very petite gentleman with a very strong accent got on his knees and asked me to marry him. I had never meet or seen this gentleman before. Some people started to notice and started to clap, I wanted to die. I closed my eyes and all I could say was, Sir please standup. I started to walk back to the store where I was working and the guy followed me into the store. A coworker came up to me and asked if the guy behind me needed any help. The guy then said: I just need her answer. I turned around and said Sir, I don't know you, I can't marry you. He went on to say that he was Italian, that he came to America two years ago and that he had his own company and now wanted to get married. I kept saying …. Sorry, I can't marry you. My coworker nicknamed him "Vinchenzo".

"Vinchenzo" continued to walk by the store on Friday evenings for a long time.

Back then, BBW community in Pittsburgh was a small group of people and I few years later my coworker saw "Vinchenzo" and his new bride at one of the dances.

Maybe this is the reason that I am attracted to tall, big guys.
After this I dated someone that was 6'6" and big!

liz (di-va)

My $.02: The key word here in my mind is friendly. Friendly, no-pressure, actually reading the other person's cues. If they're not returning your glances, if they look like they want to be left alone -- leave em alone.

I was at a buffet recently a few times by myself and each time I happily ended up talking to other people sitting near me (in groups). (Buffets are diff from regular restaurants -- so much more getting up, etc. I'm not nearly as into talking to strangers at a regular restaurant, rather the opposite.)

HOWEVER, if a dude was really cheesing on me at a buffet / trying really obviously to pick me up and whatever...I'd dislike that and / or be wary and / or possibly run screaming. All about how you approach it. Treating someone like a human, no-pressure, curious about who they are vs. "picking up women."

p.s. Plus - make NO assumptions about her relationship with food / men / her size / sexuality based on what she's eating. Don't bring that up unless she does.

p.s.s. Depending on her size / mobility, she may not wanna talk "in line" (if she does want to flirt with you), as people keep mentioning here. Navigating that stuff as a SSBBW can take psychological/physical energy. Could only be if you happened to be sitting near each other or something.

ShakesSphere

I spend a lot of time at buffets. My experience is that there is ample opportunity to strike up a harmless conversation. Usually I will point to an item and ask "Have you tried these triple fried dumplings? Are they any good?" Most women will at least give you a polite response. Slightly more forward would be to make a recommendation "You must try the roast beef --it's extra juicy today!" Or if my plate is overloaded I might say "Ooops I better quit loading this plate up --it's going to cause an avalanche! It's just all so good I wanto to get it all now!"
I will do this to men too, just because I am a friendly guy.
I haven't gotten any phone numbers this way, but I probably could have.

biggirlluvher

I've been considering doing it in the last few weeks. I haven't seen/met a bbw/ssbbw at the places I've been when I'm out. I've seen at least one at that buffet whenever I've gone there, as infrequent as that's been, and that's what gave me the idea to try to get one of their phone numbers there. I've wanted to go with a friend so that I could have company while I'm there but it's not easy to coordinate with him. Also, I've realized he can be a cockblocker and feel it best to limit the awkwardness. I might have to go it alone tonight. I'll be back with details!

LarryTheNoodleGuy

you can "pick up" anyone anywhere, as long as you don't come off as a creep and also respect that a person may wish to go about their business, may be married or dating someone and doesn't wish to interact with strangers more than a "Thanks, you too" and moving on.

Angel

no apologies for being me
How about you writing a short little note on a small card (like one of those blank 3"x4" ones you'd find in a store by gift wrapping supplies) before you go to the buffet. Write something nice like "I just wanted to tell you that I think you are pretty. If you are single and would like to chat my phone number is..... or my e-mail is..... or my Facebook is.....
Hope to hear from you. :) and sign your first name.

Put the card in the envelope. Seal it. Try to just hand it to her in a casually non-creepy as possible way, so as not to embarass her if she is with others. A casual friendly smile would be nice, too.

You'll be prepared and not fumbling for words: won't have to interrupt: and you won't be putting her on the spot. The ball would then be in her court.

Just don't make up a bunch of cards and be passing them out to multiple women at the same buffet. The women will notice! And that way you won't have to remember which buffet beauty she was out of the many. One card per buffet visit! :p

fuelingfire

How about you writing a short little note on a small card (like one of those blank 3"x4" ones you'd find in a store by gift wrapping supplies) before you go to the buffet. Write something nice like "I just wanted to tell you that I think you are pretty. If you are single and would like to chat my phone number is..... or my e-mail is..... or my Facebook is.....
Hope to hear from you. :) and sign your first name.

Put the card in the envelope. Seal it. Try to just hand it to her in a casually non-creepy as possible way, so as not to embarass her if she is with others. A casual friendly smile would be nice, too.

You'll be prepared and not fumbling for words: won't have to interrupt: and you won't be putting her on the spot. The ball would then be in her court.

Just don't make up a bunch of cards and be passing them out to multiple women at the same buffet. The women will notice! And that way you won't have to remember which buffet beauty she was out of the many. One card per buffet visit! :p
Interesting idea, have you actually tried this? This could actually get it's own thread asking how people feel about this idea.

Angel

Interesting idea, have you actually tried this? This could actually get it's own thread asking how people feel about this idea.
Na, I'm a female SSBBW. One time, though, when at a buffet, I kept noticing a nice looking man watching me eat, and I could tell it wasn't with disgust or simple curiosity. I was pretty sure he was admiring the view. Several times our eyes met, but I was with family. I wish he would have tried my idea of the note thing!

bigmac

Having a pre-printed note seems a bit creepy to me. I'd suggest writing a short spontaneous note on the back of a business card and handing it to her if the opportunity arises.

I've often thought of doing this but have never actually field tested this plan.

biggirlluvher

Since my last post, I went to another Chinese buffet that was closer to home and cheaper. Unfortunately there weren't a lot of people there that night. There were no ssbbw there either probably because it was central downtown. The closest woman to my type was a plumper with 2 friends. They sat at the complete opposite end of the buffet from me. At the end of our time there, they caught up to me at the intersection. I noticed she had a nice bulging belly.

bigmac

I'm doing the simpler thing. I'm taking a pretty SSBBW to the Chinese buffet today. :)

bigmac

My girl's torturing me -- she's at a buffet 850 miles away and texting me about it. :(

Angel

My girl's torturing me -- she's at a buffet 850 miles away and texting me about it. :(
Could have been worse. She could have been sending you pics of her plate(s) of food and pics of her eating that yummy food!

Latest posts