Car Seatbelts

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

LifelongFA

Ok, so the solution on handling seatbelts on planes is obvious (extenders).

I am wondering how y'all have been dealing with this in cars. I have never been able to solve this, so any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks.

DragonFly

Ahem Prema
Staff member
Global Moderator
Chevy offeres them, as does Mercedes - I have heard that Honda does not stating some sort of crazy safety issue. There are second market groups that offer them too.

Going to move this thread to the Main board as this has come up before and others might have a good idea for you. What specific model are you looking for?

Tracyarts

I have either purchased or been given free of charge, seatbelt extenders from dealership parts/service departments to fit Chrysler, Buick, Mercury, Ford, and Chevrolet vehicles.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
DXL used to offer a really good product for this in two sizes (I think, if I recall correctly, like 7" versus 14") and makes (to fit either Toyota/Mercedes, etc...versus most American manufacturers). I own and have used the larger size in both makes in lots of different cars I've either driven or ridden in.

ScreamingChicken

WVMountainrear's Husband
Chevy offeres them, as does Mercedes - I have heard that Honda does not stating some sort of crazy safety issue. There are second market groups that offer them too.

Going to move this thread to the Main board as this has come up before and others might have a good idea for you. What specific model are you looking for?
Honda came around in the past few years and started offering them.

fuzzybubba

So far we've been lucky with cars. Me being 430 and my wife who is 335 we both fit my 1992 Isuzu Rodeo (bench seats) and her 2013 Fiat 500 Sport, with room to spare. I did have too get extenders for both our Mercedes (a 1979 300 TD Wagon and a 1985 300 TD Wagon) . I found them on eBay, didn't like the type that goes from the buckle to the latch, you don't get full shoulder and chest protection to me this type puts the buckle in your belly. I got the type that you unbolt the belt at the floor of the lower waist belt (left drivers side seat belt at the door and right passenger side seat belt at the other door) and extends the belt by bolting the extender to the belt and then floor. I got 2 sets (4) at 12 inch each. I spent all of fifth teen minutes installing them, there always with the car and you can't lose them.

LifelongFA

Things were so much easier when I had my 2002 Caddy Eldorado. The split bench seat gave plenty of comfort, size and adjustability. Unfortunately, after 250,000 miles, it was time to put her out to pasture. Problem is finding large comfortable seats in newer vehicles regardless of how much you spend!

abzu

As odd as it might sound, I got a note from a doctor when I was 15 (1986) excusing me from wearing them. I had to use it once or twice nearly 30 years ago, and though I've been pulled over many times since, it's never really been an issue. Most police and highway patrol types, at least in my area, seem to get the idea that stock belts wouldn't even come close to cutting it once they get a good look at me.

On a somewhat related note; I acquired a 2002 Cadillac Deville earlier this year, and good lord, what a relief. As a mechanic, I am less than enamoured with the terminal design flaws of the Northstar engine. The entire car can be a pain in the ass to work on in general. That being said, I haven't been this comfortable in nearly 20 years. To breathe easy and be able to move about in a way average people take for granted is absolutely delightful. Additionally, it seems to have been designed with an elderly target customer in mind, and that makes them quite friendly to an assortment of disabilities. I can drive it for an hour or more at a time without feeling like I need medical attention, or 1000mgs of acetaminophen.

Especially since I don't plan on staying in this area indefinitely, I'm sure I'll need extenders at some point, and I thank those who provided information regarding such.

LifelongFA

On a somewhat related note; I acquired a 2002 Cadillac Deville earlier this year, and good lord, what a relief. As a mechanic, I am less than enamoured with the terminal design flaws of the Northstar engine. The entire car can be a pain in the ass to work on in general. That being said, I haven't been this comfortable in nearly 20 years. To breathe easy and be able to move about in a way average people take for granted is absolutely delightful.
I loved my 2002 Caddy Eldorado which I finally laid to rest in 2016 (the NorthStar aka the DeathStar V8) finally failed me for good, but a car like that always makes a great impression with a supersize passenger. No center console and a very wide power passenger seat was perfect. Alas, these dinosaurs are nearly all used up and there are fewer suitable options today.

abzu

Starting sometime in the early 90s, Cadillac began to reintroduce the size they'd eliminated in an attempt to comply with new emissions standards. ECUs and their transaxle module counterparts became advanced enough to allow for much larger cars once again. At the time, they were some of the most comfortable cars I'd driven in my entire life. I owned a 1995 Sedan Deville with the older and far more reliable 4.9 V8, and also drove a 96 Northstar version of the same car for quite some distance, though I didn't own it. Even in those days, I was disabled, though I hadn't come to terms with it yet, and they were fantastic when it came to soothing my many woes. I somewhat reluctantly admit I preferred the Northstar version as it was far smoother, more powerful and had a far more refined suspension. But this 2002 Deville is EVEN SMOOTHER and quieter. I've never experienced anything like it. I can't even feel the transmission shift (When it's working properly. 4T80) Your Eldorado probably provided a nearly identical experience. Of course, gas mileage is pathetic for such an advanced piece of technology, which is extremely unfortunate. But being able to run errands all day without dying and being able to walk without any issues the next day seems far more important.

wicked_pear

Ok, so the solution on handling seatbelts on planes is obvious (extenders).

I am wondering how y'all have been dealing with this in cars. I have never been able to solve this, so any thoughts would be helpful! Thanks.
I've a question on this should you use the extender on the belt or receiver of the system?

Shotha

DM Supporter
Car seat belt extenders are available. You can purchase them from Amazon. I ordered one but it never got delivered.

I remember a friend driving me home one night. I could never get the seat belt in her car to do up. So, I used to hold it in place with my arm to hide the fact that it wasn't done up. On this particular night she forgot to switch her lights on and we got stopped by the police. She was questioned at length. I sat holding the seat belt in place dreading that the police officer would notice that the belt was not done up. Eventually, he let us go and we both breathed a sigh of relief. We would have been in more trouble for the seat belt not being done up than she would have been for the lights not being on.

Latest posts

Group builder