• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

Cooking without a Kitchen

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

That1BigGirl

Bella Nom Noms
This is started from a post Fascinita made elsewhere saying she had to eat fast food due to no kitchen. Having been in that situation, and knowing others have (college students, people in efficiency apartments or for random other places without kitchens, or even just without a lot of money) I mentioned you can eat healthy without a kitchen... so here are some examples.
(PLEASE post if you have examples of your own!)

For at least now, I'm assuming there is NO kitchen- meaning, no fridge, no microwave, no stove. However, it does assume you have a place to wash dishes- bathroom sink, bathtub, shower- and also a plug with a table or counter nearby. Yes, some of this is somewhat non traditional thinking- but I like thinking outside the box :)

First things first- you need something to cook with- get a coffee pot (you want the kind that you can pour the water in now, but it won't start coming out until you turn it on- you can also splurge for one with a timer if you want- also needs to have a wide top, not the pear shaped ones like most BUNN's are). Coffee pots limit what you can cook, but 99% of dorms allow them, while they don't allow other cooking items. You'll also want a bowl, fork, spoon, knife (sharp one to cut things), can opener, plate and probably a cup (who knows, you may want a cup of coffee one day!) All of this- you can buy on the cheap. Hit the dollar store if you want, I'd say under 25.00 and you can get cooking!

I do suggest you splurge and get the following (don't get whatever if you don't like it, like if you don't like soy sauce, don't get it): Salt, Pepper, Soy Sauce, Spray butter (look to be sure it doesn't need to be kept in the fridge), cheese in a can, chili powder, other various spices, small bag/box of sugar. If you are really in the hole for money, get a few extra packages of ketchup/salt/pepper when you go to a fast food place.

Soooo what can you cook? Nearly anything but meat- unless it's canned (tuna, ham, spam) How? Well- your coffee pot is going to work like a slow cooker/ crock pot in some ways.

First up- Ramen Noodles (Time- 1.5-2.5 hours)
If you like yours with the water drained- use about 3/4 of a pot of water. If you like it WITH the water in it, probably use about 1/3 to 1/2 a pot.

Pour your water in the back, but do not turn it on.
Put the noodles in the carafe whole, or crunch them up (however you like them). Leave the plastic lid on the carafe (holds in your steam longer) and turn it on to cook!

These normally take about 1.5-2 hours to get good and soft, after about 2.5 hours they start to become mush. You can go out and run errands, go to a class- whatever for at least an hour to an hour before checking them to see if they are done. Once done, drain them if you want, or just add your seasoning packet. Put it in a bowl, and eat!

(More on the way soon!)

Latest posts

Back