Quantcast

Dear Conrad:

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Dear Conrad: You may remember me as Boteroesque Babe, former active member and moderator here. I hope you’ll call upon the good will from my many years at Dimensions and hear me out.

A female member here has just been scammed and robbed by another member. This fact is not in contention. The perpetrator has admitted to his crime, and it has since come to light that he’s done similar to others, plucking his victims from this forum. Thanks to the assorted fat communities on Facebook, I’ve just learned that a thread warning other women was posted here, and subsequently closed by you, saying it was not a board matter.

I’m baffled and vexed by this seemingly irresponsible decision, and urge you to rethink it. I imagine your goal is to protect the reputation of Dimensions, but please understand that this action puts a fairly huge dent in that very reputation. It also puts the women of your board in danger and sets a wildly reckless precedent. Do you want to be responsible for future crimes between forum members? Perhaps violent crimes? That may sound outrageous, but I see it as the logical progression of what you’ve put in motion.

I was once the victim of a crime at the hands of a member of this forum, and at the time you said you were unable to give me the information that would assist me. I believed you. I’m now forced to question that.

Please, Conrad. Invest in the safety of the members here. Allow this uncontested crime to be discussed.

Thanks in advance for your [re]consideration.

BB

Edited to add: Hiya, to any old-timers who may still be here.

vardon_grip

Consistently smarmy
Dear Conrad: You may remember me as Boteroesque Babe, former active member and moderator here. I hope you’ll call upon the good will from my many years at Dimensions and hear me out.

A female member here has just been scammed and robbed by another member. This fact is not in contention. The perpetrator has admitted to his crime, and it has since come to light that he’s done similar to others, plucking his victims from this forum. Thanks to the assorted fat communities on Facebook, I’ve just learned that a thread warning other women was posted here, and subsequently closed by you, saying it was not a board matter.

I’m baffled and vexed by this seemingly irresponsible decision, and urge you to rethink it. I imagine your goal it to protect the reputation of Dimensions, but please understand that this action puts a fairly huge dent in that very reputation. It also puts the women of your board in danger and sets a wildly reckless precedent. Do you want to be responsible for future crimes between forum members? Perhaps violent crimes? That may sound outrageous, but I see it as the logical progression of what you’ve put in motion.

I was once the victim of a crime at the hands of a member of this forum, and at the time you said you were unable to give me the information that would assist me. I believed you. I’m now forced to question that.

Please, Conrad. Invest in the safety of the members here. Allow this uncontested crime to be discussed.

BB
This is a wonderful post. I hope your impassioned plea does not fall on deaf ears again.

While I understand that some will think that anyone can/will make blind or false accusations at the drop of a hat; it has already been done "anonymously" in threads here, done for ages in the Dimensions chat room (although no one really goes there anymore) and done in FB groups started by and filled with Dims members.

Ivy

more cake, please!
DimensionsModel
i agree 1000%

willowmoon

Don't Panic!
I would have to call into question why this guy is still active on the boards and not banned ... that is particularly troubling.

MrSensible

Welcome to Moonside.

I’m baffled and vexed by this seemingly irresponsible decision, and urge you to rethink it. I imagine your goal is to protect the reputation of Dimensions, but please understand that this action puts a fairly huge dent in that very reputation. It also puts the women of your board in danger and sets a wildly reckless precedent. Do you want to be responsible for future crimes between forum members? Perhaps violent crimes? That may sound outrageous, but I see it as the logical progression of what you’ve put in motion.

BB

Edited to add: Hiya, to any old-timers who may still be here.
Well said. I agree completely. I was baffled when he said it wasn't a board issue, let alone the fact he closed the thread. If the offending member is going to be allowed to continue roaming freely around here, then it's certainly a board issue. I mean, this is a community after all, right? Shouldn't friends be allowed to warn and protect each other?

Before anyone jumps on me, I'm not saying to believe every accusation written by someone with a join date the same as the post itself, but in a case like this, where there are even other people coming out about the shady practices of the guy, it seems like a credible community issue. At the very least, the thread should have remained open to discussion.

I would have to call into question why this guy is still active on the boards and not banned ... that is particularly troubling.
My thoughts as well.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
Especially given the haste with which posts were removed, people not the perpetrator were warned, and threads were closed.

Some do crappy things, but this is flat out using these girls to steal from...
It's also using this FORUM to do terrible things. The Fe...llow in question uses the name of THIS FORUM and of MEMBERS OF THIS FORUM to earn trust.

Of course everyone needs to be careful, but that doesn't mean it isn't a board issue. It's very much a board matter.

Gingembre

radar detector
I agree.

The two people in question met on this board. They were in similar social circles because of this board. The thief has committed similar crimes to other people he has met through this board. I don't see how you can say it's not a board issue.

Ample Pie

Fattitude Problem
If we let everyone who has been wronged in a relationship vent here, we'd have nothing but.
There are threads all over this forum where people do just that; this is a silly reason to give for closing a thread down. Silly and obvious.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
I am shocked the thread was closed.

If nothing else it stands as a warning to women to be careful.

Well said to everyone because I honestly agree with all of the above.

I get that Dim's is just a forum but surely a few rules of conduct (considering people can have their account suspended or blocked for far less infractions)
such as not ripping other members off is hardly out of line.

imfree

In Remembrance
I'm wondering if "hush-hush" and closed threads are just to keep Dimm's out of legal battles and especially from slander, should a defendant claim that the forums and posts unfairly influenced a case? Regardless, I still get a bit creeped-out when I know there's been a major explosion in these forums, but can't find any pieces to at least get an idea of what actually happened.

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I'm wondering if "hush-hush" and closed threads are just to keep Dimm's out of legal battles and especially from slander, should a defendant claim that the forums and posts unfairly influenced a case? Regardless, I still get a bit creeped-out when I know there's been a major explosion in these forums, but can't find any pieces to at least get an idea of what actually happened.
Or the opposite; It could be argued that by closing the thread, the forum, the site in fact, could be legally complicit in promoting this type of behavior.

Isa

In search of....
If anyone ever answers that question for you, please share it with the rest of us.

Oh and I fully agree with the OP's post.

SuperMishe

Single. Wanna mingle?
...Regardless, I still get a bit creeped-out when I know there's been a major explosion in these forums, but can't find any pieces to at least get an idea of what actually happened.
What he said... I always seem to miss this stuff and now as I read these posts, I'm wondering about this guy I just started talking to here on Dims. :confused:

Shosh

Susannah
Firstly may I express my sympathy to the victim of this outrageous crime. It is absolutely terrible, a horrible violation of their trust, and I hope the perpetrator is prosecuted to the full extent of the law.

I believe that this matter should be able to be discussed here and that the thread should not have been closed.

I do not believe however that Conrad can be held responsible for the actions of people that commit these kind of crimes.
And to say that he could be responsible if a possible violent crime occured by a person who is a community member here is most unfair in my opinion.
How can he control the actions of adults? That is not his role.

He is the webmaster of an online community. He is not responsible for policing the actions of adults.