DJ Happily_Married’s Playlist

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by happily_married, Jul 27, 2019.

1. Jul 27, 2019 #1

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Happy to be part of Dims!

Just a short time ago I’d have told you I’m not much of a music fan. But since my life/work situation changed about a year ago I’ve found myself making a ~3 hour drive twice a week and it has rekindled my interest in music.

I listen to a little of everything now. Some songs are “throw away” songs that don’t mean anything to me. Others really stick.

So here every few days or so I’ll share a song that I really enjoy and why I really enjoy it. Consider it my running blog (does anyone still use that term?) here on Dims.

First up, this one from Kenny Chesney:

Even before I really opened up to country music I liked Kenny Chesney. He seems like a cool guy, legit song writer, class act and has done an immense amount of charity work that has not generated the notice it deserves.

This song sticks with me. Despite its upbeat sound, I often have to fight off tears when I hear it. The general idea is a guy reflecting on all he’s done in his life, all the fun he’s had, and how he’s ready to experience the one thing he hasn’t yet done. Hearing the words “I want to know how forever feels” reminds me how fortunate I am to have something so many people are still looking for. I probably take that for granted at times and this song has sort of become an unexpected reminder not to.

Call me sappy and sentimental. Maybe I am sometimes.

DragonFly and Ncmomof4 like this.
  2. Jul 28, 2019 #2

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

It’s summer and I’ve been at the beach a lot. Even though these guys were a bit before my time, I’ve always liked The Beach Boys and in a summer where I’ve been at the beach a lot, it’s inevitable I’ve listened to one of the greatest bands ever whose music celebrated summer, cars and the beach.

The other night I was leaving the beach shortly after sundown. I was putting my board back on top of my car. The car was running and the windows were down and I had The Beach Boys playing. Two ladies walked by and stopped. One looked at me with a smile and said, “Oh sweetie, if you only knew how cliche you looked! Surf board at the beach with The Beach Boys playing?”

I laughed and said, “well it’s actually not a surf board it’s a SUP board!”

They laughed and continued on. What can I say, I never get tired of The Beach Boys. Here’s the perfect song for the sleepy afternoon stretch of a day at the beach.

Ncmomof4 likes this.
  3. Jul 28, 2019 #3

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

How could anyone tire of The Beach Boys. Kinda like Jimmy Buffet. Ya just cant be sad and listen to them.

DragonFly and happily_married like this.
  4. Jul 29, 2019 #4

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

I'm hoping this thread means I can share some of my own playlist preferences?

Since jumping back into exercising again, I have a few fast paced faves that make work that much harder. I will post two to test the waters: Yes, yes, I am a girl that has always enjoyed that funky music :)

5. Jul 29, 2019 #5

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Green Eyed Fairy I think I could like your playlists!! Those were fun blasts!

6. Jul 29, 2019 #6

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

@Green Eyed Fairy you know I could never say no to you!

So while I’m still at the beach I thought I’d share what I consider the greatest of all beach songs. As much as I love The Beach Boys and similar groups from back in the 1960s, and as much as you don’t necessarily associate Van Halen with “beach music” I have to give this song the nod when it comes to capturing that beach feeling. No song makes me long for the coastline, girls in beach attire, and maybe some adult rehydration quite like this song does. I can’t even listen to it during the winter because I’ll get depressed it’s not summer!

Give it a listen, close your eyes, and let Sammy and the boys take you down!

Also, Cabo Wabo is a halfway decent brand of Tequila. Sammy Hagar no longer owns the company, named after the shared song, but it’s still a pretty good blend of you’re a tequila guy or gal. If you see a bottle on the shelf at your liquor store or your favorite watering hole give it a try!

7FF2FC2A-F095-4128-B154-D2FE113F6469.jpeg

Emmy and Green Eyed Fairy like this.
  7. Jul 30, 2019 #7

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

Yes sir! I'm certainly a Van HAGAR lover! :D

happily_married likes this.
  8. Jul 30, 2019 #8

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

It’s funny you linked that song because it’s from the same album as Cabo Wabo. OU812 came out in 1988 and had a great track list from start to finish!

Green Eyed Fairy likes this.
  9. Jul 30, 2019 #9

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

OU812 is my fave of them all...followed by 1984.

10. Jul 30, 2019 #10

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Hmm...

I really like For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge and Balance. 1984 is good and Jump is probably my single most favorite VH song, but I like other albums more.

11. Jul 30, 2019 #11

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

12. Jul 31, 2019 #12

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

Weezer first hit the scene right around the time I started high school. I wasn’t the most “with it” kid back then and even though I liked Weezer they definitely weren’t among my favorites or commonly featured on any of my mix tapes/CDs. (Yeah, you remember those days, don’t you? :D)

I’ve always liked them distantly but more recently as my interest in music has returned Weezer has become one of my favorites. Combine that recent like for Weezer with an often sentimental emotion as I’m away from my wife a lot more recently and this feel good tune ranks among on of my more frequent plays lately.

Ironically enough my wife isn’t all that crazy about a lot of Weezer’s more recent work and probably wouldn’t be nearly as excited about this song as I am.

Enjoy!

Last edited: Jul 31, 2019
  13. Jul 31, 2019 #13

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

I miss Baby Girl

14. Aug 2, 2019 #14

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Mixed tapes were the best!! You could sit and listen over and over to the tape your boyfriend gave you. One of the most romantic (and time consuming) way to show you care!! Cant say though I listened much to Weezer, I'm with the wife there on the excitement level. But I'm glad it brought you happiness and memories!

15. Aug 2, 2019 #15

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

So this is what we listened to when skating or going to the Atlantis Water Park.

16. Aug 5, 2019 #16

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

I first heard this song a couple years ago when I started doing judo. The Sensei who ran the club I trained at had it on one of his playlists. I liked the way it sounded but in the middle of working out I couldn’t ever pick up any of the lyrics enough to search it out.

So last year when I started my new job/living situation I had the I heart radio app going. They never actually play the songs or artists I actually searched for. In this case I had taken a liking to Foster the People and wanted to hear more of their songs. Instead what I got was a weird mix of just about every indie artist NOT named Foster the People! One song caught my ear, so I stopped what I was doing and looked at who the artist was. It was Phoenix and the song was 1901. I made a mental note to check them out later and continued what I was doing.

Later when I got around to looking them up I stumbled into this song. I’d tried to figure out who this was for a while so it was exciting to finally have it. There’s nothing really all that special about the song, other than it reminds me of some good times on the mat in the early days of my judo “career.”

DazzlingAnna likes this.
  17. Aug 6, 2019 #17

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

Girlfriend, you must know all about Debbie Deb and the Gap Band, I bet :D

18. Aug 6, 2019 #18

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Green Eyed Fairy

Keeps on dancing

One of her best but not on any of her albums.

19. Aug 7, 2019 #19

happily_married

happily_married

happily_married

A coworker and I were traveling for a conference. We were more or less coordinating a lot of the logistics for it too, and had some pretty early mornings. She and I met up to make a daily pilgrimage to Starbucks every morning while everyone else on the team slept in as much as they could. One morning she said to me, “I’m glad you’re as much a white chick as I am. It’s nice to have someone to come with me in the morning.”

“As much a white chick as I am?” Just because I like good coffee? Fair enough I guess.

So when I want to get in touch with my inner white chick i listen to Paramore. I love the shamelessly 80s cheesiness to this video, and I hope you enjoy it too!

20. Aug 7, 2019 #20

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

Ncmomof4

[QUOTE="happily_married, post: 2255386, member: 79724"

“As much a white chick as I am?” Just

So when I want to get in touch with my inner white chick!

[/QUOTE]

So glad you can pull out that inner basic white chick :p