• Dimensions Magazine is a vibrant community of size acceptance enthusiasts. Our very active members use this community to swap stories, engage in chit-chat, trade photos, plan meetups, interact with models and engage in classifieds.

Access to Dimensions Magazine is subscription based. Subscriptions are only $29.99/year or $5.99/month to gain access to this great community and unmatched library of knowledge and friendship.

Click Here to Become a Subscribing Member and Access Dimensions Magazine in Full!

How does where we live impact how we experience being fat?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wistful

How our geographical location impacts our individual fat experience has long been something I've wondered about.I'll be honest and state that I've often felt that being fat,especially the times when I've been supersized, has been rather difficult in NYC.In many parts of my hometown, especially large swaths of Manhattan, the ruling aesthetic for female bodies is ultra thin.NYC after all is home to Madison avenue and much of the fashion industry, who promote the ideal female body as having nary an ounce of fat on it.Even during one period of my life when I somehow managed to diet down to small bbw status, I would go to certain areas of the city and still be the largest person around which was never fun for me.

My life as a fat woman in NYC hasn't been all negative experiences though.When you live in a city with as large and as diverse a population as I do you are much more likely to run into someone who finds larger women attractive.Also, I sometimes found that when I was in a part of the city that was especially chaotic and hetic,no one could be all that bothered to notice my size...even at my largest I could sometimes get lost in the hustle and bustle of the crowd.

Visting other parts of the United states (I've never been outside the u.s.) over the years, has also showed me that while fatness might not *truly* be accepted anywhere,there are definitely parts of this country that are a great deal more fat friendly than others.I'm curious as to how others feel on the area where they came from or currently live.Did or do you feel more accepted and part of the norm in some areas more than others? Do you find you're flirted with more in certain cities or states? Also do you find like I did, that what is considered "fat" in one location is considered barely fat or even average in another location? Just some stuff I've been pondering lately.

Back