Quantcast

how much food makes 6,000 cals?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

jtgw

Madison said somewhere she eats 5,000-6,000 cals a day. I know that's a lot, but I'm not sure offhand how much. What do you have to eat to make up 6,000 cals? As you can guess, I don't count calories myself.

Ocean

I calorie count quite obsessively, so let me see if I can help you out here. :)

The first thing to realise is that there are a lot more calories in things than you think. An average sized Mars Bar has 280 calories. Most chocolate bars average from 200 cals to a huge 550 + cals, if you've got a sweet tooth, and you chow down on even just a couple of those a day, they'll add up. If you go for the larger sized bars, then they just shoot up even higher. This goes for crisps (or.. potato chips across the pond) as depending on the size of the packet, they can be anywhere from 300 cals way up to in the 700 cals. Snacking between meals would really pile up those calories.

Moving on to "real" food, there are a lot of heavy, fattening and delicious foods that do come with a lot of calories. It's harder to generalise food because there's portion size to take into account, what exact ingredients are in it, and how they were prepared, etc. An average lasagna would be 800 cals for example, add chips on the side, a fizzy drink, and then you're at a 1,000 odd cals with just the one meal. Curries can range anywhere from 300 cals way up to 700 cals, add rice on the side, and you're close to hitting the 1k again. Anything with a thick, creamy sauce, cheese, pasta, etc, is a surefire way of getting those calories in.

And most overlooked are drinks. Soda is full of sugar and can pile on the pounds even if you just have a little every day. Depending on what you add to it, coffee can be anywhere from 10cals way up to 340 cals. Alcohol also holds a lot of calories, mix that with soda, and there's a whole lot there.

Basically in short, it's using the little things that use up calories. I can see it being possible to eat that many in one day if one is already acustomed to eating that much.

jtgw

Thanks Ocean. It sounds like you'd need three big and very rich meals plus several snacks in between plus several sodas and beers! It turns me on just thinking about it lol.

So you're also basically a thin person with a fat obsession, like me :)

Pity you live across the water...

sarrymue

I am sure there are some nutrition calculators, usually provided by fast food chains, as they are trying to persuade customers, that their food is healthier than products of their competitors.

For example http://www.mcdonalds.ca/en/food/calculator.aspx says, that 6.000 calories would be about 3 hamburgers, 3 large cokes, 3 milkshakes, chicken nugets with 2 large fries, caesar chicken salad and 2 muffins as a snack. Quite dull and monotonous, but at least some notion about food quantity.

Ocean

No problem! :) And yeah, that's the gist of it, especially if you put in more meals like they used to, like supper and afternoon tea.

And yeah, that's pretty much the gist of it. Or rather I was a skinny girl who got chubby, had a love hate relationship with it, went back to being thin with a love for fat, as well as an obsession for staying thin. :D

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I find it hard to believe that someone eats 6,000 calories regularly unless also consuming a large amount of fast food or resturant food because it tends to higher in calories. A meal at McDonalds can easily be 1000 calories and I know many people can consume more than 1 meal at a time. I just feel it'd be difficult to keep up a constant intake of 6,000 calories but maybe this girl does it. I don't know.

jtgw

Yeah perhaps you're right. To be honest Madison said between 5,000 and 6,000, but that's still a heck of a lot. Conceivably she's just guessing and doesn't keep track exactly; she might think she consumes more than she does. Maybe she could clarify a little if she's reading this?

Chef

Galloping Gourmet
Individual portions may not seem like much, but if you put one of their combo meals together.. say a double whopper with cheese, a large fry, and a large Coke is 2000 calories (225 carbs, 99g fat, 2530mg sodium, 117g sugars, 59g protien)

Or a steak grilled Stuft Burrito, nachos bellgrande, and a large pepsi is about 1780 calories...

Or a breast, thigh, and a wing from KFC with taters and gravy, mac an cheese, slaw, 2 biscuits and a large rootbeer (at least at my KFC/A&W) is about 1980 calories...

Or a large supreme pan pizza from pizza slut and a large coke is about 3600 calories...

MisterGuy

I lift weights and drink two protein shakes every day that have about 1000 cals. each. 6000 calories would not be hard every day if you were committed.

Spanky

Freakishly Normal
When I'm in a mood to ingest 6000 calories, there's nothing like chugging on a bottle of vegetable oil. Just sayin'.
Lard. If you can't chug oil without gagging. It's like pork fat ice cream.

Except without the ice......and the cream.....

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
I lift weights and drink two protein shakes every day that have about 1000 cals. each. 6000 calories would not be hard every day if you were committed.
Yeah but how many people are going to drink 6 protein shakes on a regular basis?

Imp

At first I misread this and thought it said, "How much food makes 6000 cats?"

MisterGuy

Yeah but how many people are going to drink 6 protein shakes on a regular basis?
Not many, but if you drink a couple of the things a day and then also eat a lot, you're easily in the 5-6000 range. A whole lot of bodybuilders and weightlifters do just that.

Hi...

I find that getting up to 6000 cals a day is not hard
to do, but takes some planning and effort. I find that
a nice gain shake during the day or a large cake
or similar can help push up the cals to that level.
Variety is the key, else it begins to feel like a chore.

Best!

GYG

Ocean

There's the level of activity into account as well, one would need to lead a fairly sedimentary lifestyle to keep those calories in check.

thatgirl08

KNOW IT ALL
Not many, but if you drink a couple of the things a day and then also eat a lot, you're easily in the 5-6000 range. A whole lot of bodybuilders and weightlifters do just that.
True, it's possible, if you really want to.

Latest posts