Is it even worth it?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

KerryNation

Inkblot
Ok, so here's my dilemma: I've just started college, and between taking two classes and working full time, my spare time is at a minimum. I have an ongoing serial on here called WILLA BECOMES ANNA that I add to from time to time, and I just don't know if it's even worth it to use my free time to add to it anymore.

Honestly, are enough of you even THAT interested in the story, anyway? It doesn't seem like it to me.

This is not a cry for attention, mind you. I just want to know if the demand for me to continue the story is there. If it is, then I'll crank out another chapter this weekend. If not, then I think it may get backburnered for a while.

:(

Lardibutts

Aged Member
Honestly, are enough of you even THAT interested in the story, anyway? It doesn't seem like it to me.
So why do you think that? Your viewing figures for it are just great.
It sounds to me like you’re choked off at not getting overwhelmed by fanmail feedback. But hardly anyone gets any feedback; so I say trust your viewing figures.

But it does sound like you should concentrate on your crowded real world for the moment. We can wait a bit a for new instalment - so why not make it a low priority for now - as you say, simmering nicely on the backburner?
There will be times after a few weeks when you'll want to return to fantasy. By that time, if you’ve been people watching around college, you’ll have seen loads of really big lasses around you stuffing “freshers' fifteen" and a lot more more on delectable muffin tops.

And there’s that other idea of yours about college gainers lurking around in the back of your brain. Look forward to reading you sometime in November.

The Id

It sounds to me like you’re choked off at not getting overwhelmed by fanmail feedback. But hardly anyone gets any feedback; so I say trust your viewing figures.

But it does sound like you should concentrate on your crowded real world for the moment.
Absolutely agree. I get very little feedback myself, but I seem to discover new admirers on DA all the time. So trust to your number of views. And it is hard to write in college. I am in the same situation (plus two years) and I barely have time to write. You have to make time, and that comes at the expense of something else, inevitably. So you also need to decide whether or not it's important enough for you. For me, it sometimes is. Other times, I just let it wait until I feel like writing.

Deryk Shane

My advice:

Write a story that you want to write and one that you enjoy writing. One that you can be proud of. If others want to read, so be it. If they don't, who cares.

It's yours, and nobody's opinions should drive whether you further it, change it, etc.

Deryk Shane

Atilde

Dear Karnage70,

Myself, I look around to find a story. If I do not find it, I write it.:blink:

I've never been able to write really good stories as I have not a too large vocabulary in English, but I put my passion in my stories. I put them on some sites.

In fact, it is a like a present you give to one person. The first pleasure is the one you have in giving it.:wubu:

Another example, you give your blood in one hospital. You have the pleasure to give. You are not waiting for messages by return??? If you have one it is a bonus. and you answer: "Hoo noooo, I do not give my blood for that... I was not waiting for a message...." :D

Writing is a passion.

So... Write, give.. One day you will receive.:bow:

Take care.

Atilde

(Deryk Shane, I love your Stories. Many Thanks)

Browniestuff

I can understand your frustration about not getting the response you desire. But if you think about the fact that maybe a few hundred people check these forums everyday, and you have several hundred views, that means that people like it. But in the end it's up to you. If you aren't feeling the story anymore then you should put it on the backburner for a while. Do what you feel would be best.

Max

GTAFA

There are worse things than being ignored.

For my money, one performs / writes for your own reasons. Remember the scene in FIELD OF DREAMS when Kevin Kostner's character Ray asks "but what's in it for me?" Is there ever a right response? Some of us get lucky (and some blessed).

Ask yourself why you're writing. If you are writing for a response, I suspect your writing won't be as good as if you simply write and let it go, like a message in a bottle, to float away upon the waves. Set your message free, let it float away, and hopefully it won't pollute the ecosystem, won't kill anyone, won't inspire anyone to start a war (don't laugh, some artists inspire some strong responses....ask Israelis (or Nazis) about Wagner, or the people who rioted over those cartoons in Denmark)... Most stories disappear like a stone without causing a ripple. It's a privilege to get a response, although given the choice I'd rather have my story sink like a stone than inspire someone to throw a stone at my head.

To repeat...there are worse things than being ignored.

Latest posts