Quantcast

Question For The Big Ladies Here, About Top Styles..

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Your Plump Princess

Just dancing with shadows
What do you find flatters a large woman's top half the most?
Does it solely depend on the woman herself? Her Pride while wearing such?

How About Spaghetti Straps? How do you wear them? and Babydolls?
I Love The Cuts, but my Bra always shows. I -hate- it when my Bra Shows.
[Yes. I'm one of those ladies that wants my Ta-Ta's to look like there are magically invisible hands holding them up to perky perfection. Aha ha]

What about...You know it.
Big Girls Wearing Strapless Tops!

Anyone Own Any?
Anyone Tried on Any?

I am a total Comfort-FREAK.
..and I'm guilty of loving to show a lot of skin.

I really would love to buy some Strapless -AKA- "Tube" Tops, but I don't know how on earth I'd wear one. Or if I could even find one in my size. How it would look on a large lady, ect.

Any and all help would be VERY much appreciated!
Thanks for your time!
- M :wubu:

BigCutieSasha

Fatty McFat Fat
Fashion should first and foremost be you and your style. If you want to wear spaghetti straps wear them. And if you are particular about bra straps, you have many options. I don't know what size you are but many companies have these bras with removable straps that can also come with clear straps. If that makes sense. I've worn it with both straps and they help a lot. Here is one from Lane Bryant. Is this something you were thinking maybe?

Also here is the link to find the bra on the site.

View attachment 7743792.jpeg

Your Plump Princess

Yeah. I'd love a bra like that. But I can never find them in my size. [I'm a 46-48DD-DDD (Depending on certain styles, ect.) >_< ]

I Still wear my spaghetti straps, and my babydolls, ect. But I just want something that flatters my figure a real lot. VS "Oh mah god her bra is showing more than the shirt is covering" [cause that sort of defeats the purpose, in my eyes.]

:D
Thank you So Much Though!

Teleute

Heh heh. "Member".
I think it depends on a few different things:

a) what you mean by "flatter". This sounds dumb, I know, but people can mean anything from "makes my boobs look bigger/waist look smaller" to "keeps my rampaging boobs more in line with the rest of my size" to "shows off my cute belly"... what's it mean for you?

b) your general body shape; see Igigi's shapestylist calculator to determine this and get some general suggestions.

c) your confidence in any particular style. For instance, I don't give a rat's ass if my big ol' upper arms are showing, so I'm going to look more natural and comfortable in sleeveless styles than someone who's nervous about them... even if they have smaller upper arms than I do.

I love tube tops, but the bra situation can be a challenge - and I can NOT go braless, hah! What I normally do is either wear a longline strapless bra underneath or, if I have a bra with a good supportive band and molded cups, just fold the straps down and tuck them in. The second way needs a little adjusting to get it to look right, but it usually stays put, and doesn't restrict my belly the way a longline does. I really like the way tube tops look on me; for reference, I'm a figure 8/hourglass according to Igigi's shape thingy. I hope that helps!

mszwebs

For The WIN.
FIRST of all, get the bra in the 44 and buy extenders. If you're taking the straps off, you're not going to have slippage. I believe those are 5 hook closure, and I get a 2 and a 3 and sew them to each side of the back of the bra so I don't have to dick around with it every time.

I do that and it works.

Second of all, Torrid sells tube tops. Don't get the ones with the zippers, stick to the cotton ones and the ones with banded bottoms.

When I'm wearing tubetops, I am not REALLY that concerned about my bra and I just wear the straps visible...but personally I don't care.

I know that's not you're thing, so take the straps off and go for it. My boobs are DD and I can work the strapless just fine. That LB bra is amazing.

Your Plump Princess

By "Flatter" I Mean Overall Flatter My Curves.

I think that's partly to do with my Obsession with Smooth-ness.
I don't want to look like I'm a mountain with rolling hills.
That, to me, is unnatractive on myself.

I Like all my bumps and lumps to be tucked away neatly. Lol
I don't want nor expect a top to make my tummy disappear, but I want the ....(I'm not sure if I'm using this word right) but the abbrasiveness of it to lessen.

:D

Thank you Mszwebs!
I Think, I Might try that actually. I Never thought about Using Extenders!

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl
I wear spaghetti strap tops. Used to wear tube tops but now I am afraid of them falling off. I wear a clear strap bra with my spaghetti strap tops. Sometimes a strapless. That seems to work for me. Wear whatever you like no matter how fat you are. It becomes your style... :)

kayrae

doot doot doot
Your Plump Princess, when it comes to clothes that "flatter" you by hiding rolls or smoothing everything out, you've got to invest in a body shaper of some sort. I buy a lot of Spanx, but recently I've been buying some brands from Target that do the job decently and costs less.

I'm going to second MsSasha on her comment about you defining fashion.

Aust99

Your Plump Princess, when it comes to clothes that "flatter" you by hiding rolls or smoothing everything out, you've got to invest in a body shaper of some sort. I buy a lot of Spanx, but recently I've been buying some brands from Target that do the job decently and costs less.

I'm going to second MsSasha on her comment about you defining fashion.
I agree with Kayrae... I was going to post about the body shapers too... Some people wear them everyday, I wear one when I'm heading out and want to smooth those bumps that tend to show through. There is even a thread on them here... http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?t=67769

Now.. I personally do wear strapless tops with a strapless bra... I don't wear spaghetti straps as I don't think they flatter me... I wear a lot of long singlet tops with think straps and a lot of tunic style tops.. the longer the better...

It's up to you what you wear and feel comfortable in... fashion is in the eye of the beholder... and what Sasha said... :happy:

Jes

is oddly aroused
Clinton and Stacy (What Not To Wear) say that spaghetti straps and a lot of flesh/wide shoulders aren't flattering. It's the contrast angle. You put a tiny strap on a very broad shoulder and it makes the shoulder even more broad. I would agree with this. A chunkier strap fixes the issue of both contrast and bra strap coverage.

Your mileage may vary, of course, but that's my 2c.

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Clinton and Stacy (What Not To Wear) say that spaghetti straps and a lot of flesh/wide shoulders aren't flattering.
Stacy is also a gigantic cunt and smoking crack about half the things she says to wear. I disagree with her sooooo often, haha.

I say, wear what you will and rock with confidence. I wear spag straps (just pair w/cute bra), tube tops, whatev. Ain't no thang, I make my own rules. :D

Flutterby68

My Cups Runneth Over
I don't like empire waists because they look like maternity shirts. Yuck.

I will NOT wear any sort of top without a bra. Ever. I do love my tank tops with the built-in foam bra cups. Makes it easier.

My favorite tops tend to be the peasant style tops with flowing sleeves, and a lace-up front like a corset. LOVE those. This is close, but not quite what I mean.

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl
That's a neat top you posted there. Someone posted a fat fashion blog on here and I not only ended up reading it but reading a bunch of other fat fashion blogs going thru blog links lol...

missy_blue_eyez

FIRST of all, get the bra in the 44 and buy extenders. If you're taking the straps off, you're not going to have slippage. I believe those are 5 hook closure, and I get a 2 and a 3 and sew them to each side of the back of the bra so I don't have to dick around with it every time.

I do that and it works.

Second of all, Torrid sells tube tops. Don't get the ones with the zippers, stick to the cotton ones and the ones with banded bottoms.

When I'm wearing tubetops, I am not REALLY that concerned about my bra and I just wear the straps visible...but personally I don't care.

I know that's not you're thing, so take the straps off and go for it. My boobs are DD and I can work the strapless just fine. That LB bra is amazing.
I wear extenders but Ive never thought about sewing them in....thanks!

mszwebs

For The WIN.
I wear extenders but Ive never thought about sewing them in....thanks!
It's a pain in the ass to sew them in, but it makes my life SOOO much easier. That way I don't need to be a contortionist when all I really want to do is put my damn clothes on.

cherylharrell

Always Mikes Big Girl
I believe I sewed them in on one bra I had. I remember I had to use 2 together to I sewed them together and I think I sew them to the bra too. The things we have to go thru to make stuff fit...

Fluffy51888

Glitter Queen
I have a few tube tops, and I found them at Lane Bryant. I absolutley love them for when I go out, but it's the strapless bra that kills me. I do think that it just all depends on what you're commfortable with. If you can find a strapless bra that's comfy, I'd say go for it! :)

Latest posts