Tab!

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

TheSadeianLinguist

Coin-Operated
Before there was Diet Coke, there was Tab. When I was between ages 1 and 3, I was forever drinking it and Diet Pepsi. (Not advising you to do this, parents.) However, lucky me, while picking up stuff at the store, what do I see but delicious Tab in a six pack? It's no longer made with saccharin, but it still has the richer taste compared to other diet sodas Why do I love Tab so much?:

More caffeine than Coke, Diet Coke, Pepsi, Diet Pepsi, etc.

Better taste, sharp but not watery.

Also comes in a hot pink can with stripes. How can you not love that?

brands_left_tab.jpg

UberAris

Dominus Ferrum
I hate diet soda (or pop as some may call it), I get a nasty aftertaste with anyting that has Splenda or Nutrasweet... but that bright pink can with the stripes is winning me over right now o_O

JoyJoy

My mother lived on Tab and Fresca in the 70s and early 80s, and every once in awhile she would share. I never did like Tab much, but I loved Fresca so much I drank it for many years myself as an adult. I'd likely drink it now if I didn't avoid artificial sweeteners as much as possible.

For the nostalgia buffs, here's a nifty little timeline of Fresca. (click on "Product" at the top of the page, and you'll see a button that says "Historical Timeline" on the bottom right.) I can remember having the cardboard six packs of those little green bottles that we would return to the store for the deposits.....5 or 6 packs at a time. Sometimes we'd fill a shopping cart with empty bottles for return.

For Tab lovers, I found this page, as well. We had some of the hourglass shaped glasses, and the bottles with the little stars on them joined the green Fresca bottles. I also remember often peeling the styrofoam cover off of these bottles:
tabbottle11.jpg

Fun times.

jcas50

Liberal Scum
I am not a fan of the current tab produced by coca-cola. But there was another soda called tab around here that came in a blue can. This was back in the fifties and early sixties. I do not remember if coca cola produced it, I don't think so. But it was one of the earliest diet sodas I remember. I know that you could buy it in Bridgeport, CT - I assume it was available in New York. Does anyone else remember this?

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I keep a 12 pack of diet soda at my desk at all times. Sometimes its Diet Coke, sometimes it DDP (Diet Dr. Pepper), one time I bought a 12 pack of Tab. My co-workers were amazed. "They still make that?"

I would reply, "Nope. I bought a pallet back in '82."

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
Oooooo yeah.

I grew up with Tab until I was about 10 or so when everyone got in on the diet soda thing.

My earliest Tab memories are these glass bottles with the little starbursts,

View attachment 13396
and we HAD these tab glasses.
View attachment 13397
We also had these 7Up glasses, which were cool as hell... wish I still had them.
View attachment 13398

I have the 7up glass in an xmas version. I'd photograph it but I can't reach it! Any tall guy wanna help?

Tooz

sweet chocolate christ
Isn't there like a Tab energy drink? I think it's Tab....God, is it horrible. People said it was all nice and fruity. I got it, and it tasted like CELERY AND GRASS. I poured it out in the parking lot.

SoVerySoft

No fat no flavor
i'm of average height, but my willpower is incomprehensible. i'll take the case.

average height could work! if you are average weight you can stand on a chair if you still can't reach.

you're hired :)

Ruby Ripples

Dis Member
Even seeing this thread and the pink can of Tab takes me back to the 70s, crash diets when i was 14, lol. I did quite like fresca, but Tab was horrific. All diet soda leaves a horrible taste in the mouth, but I think Tab was the worst of the lot! We didnt have bottles of it, just the pink cans, and I don't think those glasses were ever available here either.

Miss Vickie

Mmmmm. Tab. I was raised on the stuff. And recently I tried their energy drink and it wasn't half bad. I'll have to give NewTab a try, although I think part of what I love was the saccharine taste (and how sick is THAT???)

I blame Tab for the fact that I cannot drink sugared sodas. I love the taste of "fake sugar", and I have a hard time staying away from Diet Coke, which is bad for bone health. :(

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
I bought one of those 7up glasses recently at an antique shop. Now I'll have to find a Tab glass. I collect old soda bottles and I have that sparkled Tab among others.

ThatFatGirl

Why am I still here?
I haven't had a Tab since it looked like the pic with the starbursts AnnMarie posted. We only had it at my grandma's house up to about age 10 or 12. She'd send us down to the cellar to bring up the glass bottles (Tab and Fresca). They'd be just slightly cooler than room temperature, so we'd add lots of ice.. ice which was strangely kind of funky smelling due to well water or something, not sure.. wow.. thanks for the walk down Memory Lane! :)

I've become a Fresca addict in the last few years. Love, love, love the stuff.

Fuzzy

Just a dirty old man
Yep, the only similarity between Tab and Tab Energy is the pink can.

Green Eyed Fairy

Veteran of a 1000 Psychic Wars
If they don't use the saccharin anymore (about time!) then what do they use instead? Aspartame or Splenda? Aspartame has been getting a lot of bad rep lately so I have to ask...

Latest posts