That Was Then, This Is Now

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Lamia

Like OMG!!
How many of you remember things being done a certain way when you were a kid and realize that you either can't or don't do them the same way because of finances.

For instance, I don't entertain. My parents used to have people over for supper almost every night. Different couples would come and eat dinner and play cards etc.

I don't do this because we can barely afford to feed us for the month, let alone other people.

If people do come over they just visit and leave there is no eating or drinking involved. This makes me sad.

My parents were not rich. Mom didn't work and dad worked construction yet they bought a house and paid it off before I was 7 years old. They bought a new truck and paid it off.

I still have no idea how my grandma prepared Sunday dinner every week and she was on social security and food stamps. She always had fried chicken, mashed potatoes, noodles or mac and cheese, corn, green beans, peas, carrots, scalloped corn, baked beans and two or three homemade pies, a cake and jello. It just boggles my mind.

I live on lean cuisine meals and other tasteless crap.

MattB

Canucklehead
DM Supporter
Interesting topic.

I'm not so sure I don't do things my parents did due to finances necessarily, or just due to it being a different era. I don't entertain like my parents did for certain, but I also don't "drop by the neighbours" like I remember us doing back then. I won't even answer my door unless I know someone is coming over. When I was a kid we never locked the doors until it was late.

Communication is real simple today, socializing isn't...

I think there's just way more "distractions" today that take our money and our time easier than back then. (Internet, online shopping, etc...)

It was harder to spend money freely when you had to line up at the bank to get some cash, as opposed to bank cards.

Luv2BNaughty

\m/o.O\m/
I think what I miss the most is how, when I lived at home, my parents and I would go to my brother's every Friday night. We'd have supper and play games - Spades or Dominoes. I learned how to play those games by watching them and being the score keeper. Sometimes I'd get the chance to actually play. Sometimes we'd change it up and play Scattegories or Taboo. Or I'd just sit it out completely and be glued to all the awesome Friday night line-up shows we used to have to watch.

Now, we all live in the same town. My brother and my parents built houses right next to each other and they see each other every day. They go out to eat every Friday night, though the game time is far and in-between. Sometimes I feel like I'm the forgotten link. Sure, I can't always go out with them, but it would be nice to be thought of, every once in awhile. It feels like an 'out of sight, out of mind' type of thing, at times.

MissAshley

Enigma
Events around town are disappearing because there's not enough money to do them.

Christmas presents aren't as plentiful as they used to be.

We used to go on family vacations every summer. Can't do that anymore because now that me and my sisters are grown up, it's hard to go a full unpaid week off of work without getting behind on some bills when we get back.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
Events around town are disappearing because there's not enough money to do them.

Christmas presents aren't as plentiful as they used to be.

We used to go on family vacations every summer. Can't do that anymore because now that me and my sisters are grown up, it's hard to go a full unpaid week off of work without getting behind on some bills when we get back.
speaking of X-mas presents we draw names now and everyone in the family gets one gift. a $20 gift. I have tried to convince everyone to raise it, but it's a no.

It just seems like we're all struggling to make it.

We don't sit outside and vist with neighbors anymore. I couldn't even tell you my neighbors names. I live in a small town you'd think I know. We're so cut off from one another now.

seavixen

Ditz Extraordinaire
We used to travel. We'd go to see family at LEAST once a year. My dad's family had a big family reunion every year, plus my mom would want to go see hers as well. That meant at least one trip a year from Montana to California, and sometimes the reunion would be held elsewhere, like Washington or Colorado, so there would be that, too, if it wasn't held at our house. It switched off yearly, but more relatives were in CA by far than anywhere else, so CA was our primary destination.

I definitely do NOT have the money to travel now. I haven't traveled anywhere that required staying overnight in like four years. That said, I think that the traveling stopped more because my grandparents died or situations changed than anything else. Grandparents kind of hold everyone together, it seems like - especially grandmothers.

I also miss that almost everything I used to eat as a kid was either hunted or locally farmed, canned, whatever. Things in boxes and cans from the store played very little part in our diets. I'm pretty sure that's why my digestive system is so sensitive now... since I can't eat that way anymore.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
I don't know that I miss it, but I'm sure this has changed....in the small town I lived in as a child the options for groceries were limited to one not very good and somewhat expensive store. So more weekends than not we'd drive into the nearest city in the family station wagon, visit my grandparents, and get grociers. For our family of five, it was cheaper to drive that far given the savings on groceries. Imagine what the gas cost would be now!

I think fuel costs must have made rural and small town living more expensive and hence more limited?

We don't entertain at all like my parents did, but that is more about my wife and I as a couple, plus that fact that living in a small town, the only options for people to get together was at each other's houses.

russianrobot

Idle Chatter
anyone ever get that shitty green leaf lettuce with a canned pear on it, slapped with miracle whip and grated American cheese..or was my grandmother the only freak.

Dr. Feelgood

intellectual nerd
anyone ever get that shitty green leaf lettuce with a canned pear on it, slapped with miracle whip and grated American cheese..or was my grandmother the only freak.
This was considered haute cuisine in Oklahoma during my youth. It was a frequent offering in the school cafeteria, and most restaurants offered it for the discriminating diner. And speaking of food, that's one thing we do differently these days: we eat at restaurants once in a while. In the Good Old Days, your choices for a restaurant entree were (1) chicken-fried steak, or (2) chicken-fried chicken. Vegetarians were out of luck, unless you knew the cook and could talk him/her into making you something exotic, like a grilled cheese sandwich. Now we have Italian restaurants, Mexican restaurants, Chinese restaurants, and Thai restaurants: an embarrassment of riches! :happy:

TraciJo67

We lived on a farm when I was a kid. My parents would let my brothers & sisters & I walk 5 miles into town -- I was probably no more than 12, so my younger siblings would have been 8-11. I cannot imagine allowing my child to walk anywhere without me, not even around the block. Of course, he's only 5, but even when he is 12, I'm sure I wouldn't let him go anywhere outside the immediate neighborhood. We have a neighbor child who comes over to visit every day, even eats meals with us sometimes. He's a delightful little guy, but we've yet to meet the parents -- I've called them a few times to make sure it's OK for their 8-year-old son to have meals with us; our communication has been via phone only. That seems incredibly odd to me -- maybe I'm overly protective, but I'd have to meet the parents of my son's playmates, several times, before I'd allow him to socialize in their homes. Nowadays, this just seems like a normal precaution. When I was a kid, parents just didn't think about "stranger danger" and abductions -- seemed to equate it to being about as likely as a lightning strike on a sunny day. I do miss that feeling of being safe -- or at least, completely naive to that kind of danger.

KHayes666

Go away
When I was a child without being able to drive or work I'd ask my parents for video games, movies, etc.

Since I was old enough to work and drive I haven't asked for anything in many years. I have never asked for money even as a kid and never will either.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
the way sunnyboys and other childhood foods used to taste versus how the more natural versions taste now

oh and happy snax

Heyyou

The way i used to run out of batteries on my walkman whilst rollerblading around the neighborhood. Now, there are no Walkmans - except digital ones that have batteries built in.

The way going in the woods and being scared was an ADVENTURE! Now, i live by the beach.

The way helping my father change the oil on our 1982 Oldsmobile Delta 88 Royale (that car is amazing, im not worthy enough to own one, the car is literally too good) was exciting, and taking notes on type of oil used. Now, i realize that ive begin doing the same thing.

The way connecting to the Internet on a brand new U.S.Robotics 56k "X2" modem (vs "K56Flex," a competing techology) required a phone call, to a local ISP.. and was SOO COOL! Now, i carry my computer with me, open it up, and am mad if im not at a Wifi hotspot OR if my Mifi isnt working, or battery dead.

Yakatori

Hard to say, really...
"...fried chicken, mashed potatoes, noodles or mac and cheese, corn, green beans, peas, carrots, scalloped corn, baked beans and two or three homemade pies, a cake and jello. It just boggles my mind....."
What's "scalloped corn?"

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
the way sunnyboys and other childhood foods used to taste versus how the more natural versions taste now

oh and happy snax
Or think of foods that you enjoyed once as a kid... for me it was Twinkies and Zingers. I could not tolerate them now....

spiritangel

AmandaClause
Or think of foods that you enjoyed once as a kid... for me it was Twinkies and Zingers. I could not tolerate them now....
we dont have either of those

and I still like lamingtons and fairy bread and other such childhood things not a fan of chocolate crackles anymore though

Heyyou

we dont have either of those

and I still like lamingtons and fairy bread and other such childhood things not a fan of chocolate crackles anymore though
spiritangel, whats a "lamington?"

The only food i know ive heard of but never seen that comes to mind is a "crumpet" but lol, may i ask what a "lamington" is? Thanks lol :)

(Also, back in the day, Curious George the curious little Money and Paddington the Bear were GREAT shows!) :D

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
I know this is a late response, but I just read this thread.

In our house it was a canned pear half with a rolled-up ball of cream cheese on it (where the rounded dent is in the middle), sprinkled with chopped walnuts. It was actually pretty good.

tonynyc

Slow Dance Aficionado
I know this is a late response, but I just read this thread.

In our house it was a canned pear half with a rolled-up ball of cream cheese on it (where the rounded dent is in the middle), sprinkled with chopped walnuts. It was actually pretty good.

BigBeautifulMe

now that was an interesting treat- tried to find something about this in AllRecipie.com and only came up with this

Pear Salad

Ingredients
1 (15 ounce) can pear halves
1 (3 ounce) package lemon flavored gelatin
1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
1/2 cup chopped pecans
2 cups frozen whipped topping, thawed
Directions
1.Drain pears and reserve 1 cup syrup; if needed, add water to equal 1 cup.
2.In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine syrup and gelatin. Bring to a boil and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Remove from heat and chill until partially set.
3.In a large bowl, blend the cheese and pears until smooth. Add gelatin mixture, pecans and whipped topping; blend until smooth. Pour into mold or leave in bowl. Chill for 3 hours or until firm.

Latest posts