Quantcast

The Id's Thread

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

The Id

Moderator's note: This thread is dedicated to the fans of The Id, a member of the Dimension's Writers Guild who has designated the following tales as representative of his work:

Jenna
Tara
Leah

The above stories may be accessed by using the search function with the respective titles as the keyword. We recommend conducting author searches from the full library bar, located here.

Posts to this thread by fans will be automatically forwarded to The Id, who like any author always appreciates recognition. If you as a fan post to this thread and have your thread response forwarding enabled you will receive copies of all future posts to this thread, including messages from The Id.

The Id

Yay! Another outlet to get fan responses! I'm actually quite excited by this as I always like discussing my stuff with people.

The Id

So, I'd like to pose a question for those people who enjoy my work. On DeviantArt, I've noticed Lynn 1 has the most views of any of my stories. Here on Dimensions it's got 2,172, which puts it behind Taras 1, 2, 3, and 5, Jennas 1, 2, and 3, and Chelsea.

Even though it's not as popular here, does any one here want to perhaps offer up why people might find Lynn more intriguing than the other girls? I've wanted to move her plot along, but find myself unable to figure out how to take the next step. I know where I want her to go eventually, but I haven't figured out what distinguishes her from the other girls yet, and it's annoying me that I can't seem to get out of this rut. Of course, I was recently told that the main source of writer's block is thinking that you need to figure out what you're going to say/argue before you say/argue it. So perhaps I'll just have to start writing and see what happens, but if I could key in on what is distinct and attractive about Lynn, perhaps it would help move things quicker.

Though for the moment I'm occupying myself with Kristin 2. And I just discovered Kristin 1 is not up here yet. I'm sure it will be eventually. You can check it out at Mollycoddles' site or at my DA, which is linked to below in my signature.

Observer

Editor/Writer/Commentator
Well, since I like Lynn I'm just guessing Tara and Jenna benefit from having been a series for awhile; Lynn just doesn't have the same name recognition. Give her another three episodes and she'll do alright,

Anyway, I stayed on and got Kirsten up - have to keep our authors happy!

The Id

As always, many thanks. Though it's Kristin. But don't worry, I know Kristens and Kristins and Kirstins and Kirstens and I never keep them all straight. They whack me periodically to keep me in line. ;)

The Id

For those of you who enjoy my work, I thought I'd give you all an update. My current slate of projects is the following, in this order:

--Jenna 9 (in development--slated for a release between Thanksgiving and Christmas to coincide with the fact the story is set in that period)
--Jenna-Leigh Coleman (currently being written--probably to be released after Jenna 9 unless I'm very productive in the next couple weeks)
--Lynn 3 (in conceptual development--probably won't be released until the New Year)

This is all guesswork on my part. If I get slammed with a ton of work in the next month, throw this out the window. If I have a slow couple weeks, speed things up a bit.

The Id

Another update on my work:

--Jenna 9 can now be found in the Recent Additions folder
--Jenna-Louise Coleman (Currently on page 59. To give you all a sense of scope, Jenna 9 was only 9 pages long. I also said that the name of this was Jenna-Leigh Coleman last time, which is totally wrong. It is Jenna-Louise)
--Lynn 3 (in conceptual development--probably won't be released until the New Year)

Also, an outgrowth of a discussion I just engaged in with some writers, I would like to formally open myself up to anyone who has any interest in starting to write WG or anyone who's looking to improve their works. I would be more than happy to give you guidance and my thoughts and philosophy on the matter as a way of "giving back" to the community. Please don't hesitate to contact me either in this post or via PM if you would like to take me up on this offer.

The Id

Another update for everyone! Hope you're having a wonderful holiday season.

--Jenna-Louise Coleman (Currently being edited by two external sources for quality. I am uncertain when it will premiere, but know it will show up on DA and in the Recent Additions section of the Library as soon as I can get it there)
--Lynn 3 (Rough draft finished. It requires some additional approval from another external source. I have no idea when this approval will come, but I expect it to show up in early January)
--Lynn 4 (The next project on deck. In development)

For those of you curious as to my future course, I intend to fully write the Lynn series, which will go at least 5 installments, perhaps 6. After that I will likely begin a new RFK Girl. I have two left that I wish to develop and have not decided which I would do. A new Jenna or a new Tara could be sprinkled in as I see fit.

I sincerely hope to get Jenna-Louise Coleman and Lynn 3 out ASAP for you guys! Hope you understand there's a slight delay.

The Id

Update #4:

--Jenna-Louise Coleman (Still our for third party editing)
--Lynn 3--posted: read here
--Lynn 4 (5 of 9 pages finished)

The Id

Update #4:

--Jenna-Louise Coleman: released! Read it here
--Lynn 4: released! Read it here
--Lynn 5: in progress. 4 of 9 pages complete, remainder largely outlined mentally
--Lynn 6: next project up. Will likely be the final Lynn installment.
--New series! Currently in conceptual development, but will be an RFK Girl. Projected to run at least four installments.

By the way, you're welcome to use this thread to post any public questions, comments, thoughts, anything really relating to my works! That's what it's for. :D

The Id

Update #5:

--Lynn 5: released. Read it here
--Lynn 6: next project up. Will likely be the final Lynn installment.
--New series! Currently in conceptual development, but will be an RFK Girl. Projected to run at least four installments.

The Id

Sorry for not having anything out for about two months or so. Just had some writer's block I only broke through on Monday, but the result was well worth it!.

Update #6:

--Lynn 6: released. Read it [URL="http://www.dimensionsmagazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=740967]here[/URL]. This is indeed the final chapter in Lynn, and I hope you enjoy it.
--New series! I am working on the first installment's outline right now. Still will be about an RFK Girl who I'm going to keep secret so it's a surprise to everybody. I don't know if my original four installment projection will be accurate. I think it will run at least four, but I don't know until I begin and probably get one or two under my belt to see how it's running.

As another note, I do not intend to return to Tara or Jenna until after I finish this next series and possibly do a single shot story, which will be like Nina rather than Jenna-Louise Coleman in terms of length. I think that doing these stories will give me the perspective to make the endings of Tara and Jenna better.

Thanks as always for your patience and your support!

The Id

Just remembered that I forgot to update this!

Update #7:

--Tina 1: released. Read it here. This is the new series I've been referencing. I'm still thinking there will be around four installments.
--Next project: Tina 2. Still working on it, have not begun writing yet.

The Id

Update #8:

--Tina 2: released. Read it here.
I'm still thinking there will be around four installments.
--Next project: Tina 3. Potentially. I'm currently encountering some writer's block despite having a lot of time on my hands with which to write at the moment.
--Potential other next project: It's a secret. I can't tell you. I'd have to kill you if I did. Nobody wants that. :D This would probably, however, be a single shot story and potentially the last RFK Girl to introduce. Therefore, if I choose to do this story, then it would just be a matter of finishing off other stories, namely Tara, Jenna, and Tina. This story would also, sort of like Nina and Tina, be somewhat different from my teen romance genre that I've done. Like Nina, it might be more familiar to the WG genre.

The Id

Update #8:

--Tina 3: released. Read it here
I'm still thinking there will be around four installments.
--Next project: Tina 4. Without question. Having broken through with Tina 3, I'm going to finish out the story arc.

The Id

Update #9:

--Tina 4: released. Read it here. This is the last installment of Tina. I've told the story I set out to tell.
--Next project: Not an RFK girl. Past that, it's a secret, but I'm very excited about it as I've already got more than a page written today. The idea was developed in casual conversation with The Aftershow, who always seems to give me a lot of good non-RFK ideas (though he's had some suggestions for Jenna that are pretty stellar). This will be a single shot, running somewhere in between an RFK installation and the length of Nina. It will be dicated by how the work itself takes me.
--Next next project: The final RFK Girl. Likely a single shot. Also likely another departure in terms of plot and elements of the story, branching into a different stream of WG fiction. Unlike Tina, this story will absolutely include WG.

Feedback, as always, is appreciated, and can be put in this thread.

Observer

One Fan's Opinion - a commontary

OK, Tina is finished. You said it would be different in a way that was inspired by Lynn 6 and you kept your promise. You essentially covered in detail the awkwardness of socialization faced by all teenagers and brought it to as happy resolution. And you did it using a shy guy and a confident BBW who doesn't gain an ounce. For pacing, holding reader interest and detailed description you get a definite bravo! Actually I guess that's three bravos. Very well done as usual.

Now the downside - and I hope others agree. We have this wonderful class of water polo players, dealt with in such detail that true fans feel we know know them personally. But there is an almost ominous finality to each sequence that leaves us hungry for more.

You've said you may return to Chelsea once Jenna and Tara wind up, and that's a good thing. I hope she gets Lynn, Tina and the others involved in some sort of venture or adventure. Finality of this class should not come until graduation and then there should be an epilogue of their post-graduate lives. Until then it would be nice to have some joint adventures.

The Id

Glad you enjoyed Tina. I think I sort of had to work into really being able to write it well, and that just came from working through the first couple chapters to get to the meat of what I wanted to write about, which you nailed on the head.

As for the ending, let me just say I've long been planning that. Just to keep you all looking forward to that, I'm not going to reveal specific plans, but I think that while it may not be exactly what you've suggested here, it's in the same sort of spirit that will tie them together.

I know you've always advocated bringing Chelsea back and given plenty of feedback on one way to take her story when I get to the point of deciding, "Should I write a second chapter?" I've come to agree that there is certainly room for another installment, though I have to have a story that I feel makes sense given how I envision her character and one that I feel compelled to write. Then again, apparently putting me in a small office with nothing to do and a word processor is often compelling enough to make me write!

I haven't much considered large crossovers of main characters into other main character stories, perhaps because I've viewed their storylines as largely discreet entities. Still, if there'd be any place that would be appropriate for it to occur, it would probably be in Chelsea's, just given my remaining plans. I'd also think that one could expect Kristin, perhaps Nina, to show up in any sort of a joint venture since they didn't get as much "screen time", if you will, as Lynn or Tina. That doesn't exclude Lynn or Tina by any means of course.

Thanks for your commentary! Really glad to hear some thoughts and take some suggestions, though I never guarantee I'll use any of them. ;)

Observer

Well, based on the progress of the water polo team it sounds like you're not much past the holiday break, so there's plenty of time for more adventures.

I think we need to lock you in a room with a keyboard more often 'cause its far from time for this series to end. You've just introduced and let us get to know the characters. Now comes he real interaction (I hope) :)

That of course doesn't preclude an unrelated fling here and there.

The Id

I think we need to lock you in a room with a keyboard more often 'cause its far from time for this series to end.
I have had one person personally tell me if they win the lottery, they'll personally arrange to supply me with a bland office with a word processor and lock me in. The thought is intriguing. :D

Anyways, regarding the end of the series, I'm sure it won't be popular, but for me there will come a time when the RFK Girls series will have to end, regardless of how much further people may have wanted it to go. I know that this isn't popular--I'm still displeased that the current version of Battlestar Galactica will end with this season, but like them, I have a certain story to tell. A lot of very very very good writers in this community have left things unfinished that many people enjoy, whether it be after one installment or after six, and above anything else I wanted to finish my series, really cap it off and let people appreciate it as a body of work. The Lord of the Rings can be appreciated that way. The Silmarillon can't.

I even have an idea for a large project that would follow RFK Girls, in fact depending on how things progress during the summer, I might write that first (though I hate to leave folks hanging even longer on Tara and Jenna, I may have to do so to best write this other story).

Of course, you'll all be updated here first!

Latest posts