The Official Recipe Trading Thread! Share Your Recipes Here! :)

Discussion in 'Daily Living' started by HUGEisElegant, Jun 27, 2019.

1. Jul 11, 2019 #21

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

Mmmmmmmmm...I've really been craving a Chinese/Asian-style BBQ called char siu lately. Typically pronounced without the "r", like "cha-syoo" or "cha-sho", it is a common style of BBQ that is made in many parts of Asia. If you've never had it, it has an amazing balance of sweet and salty, and it has an amazing flavour, mostly due to Chinese five spice powder (star anise, cloves, Chinese cinnamon, Sichuan pepper and fennel), but also due to the common use of hoisin sauce that gives it its sweetness and adds to its flavour. When it's good, it's as good as any BBQ in my opinion. SO GOOD! :)

I want to try my hand at making it someday, so I got to looking on YouTube for recipes and I found a couple. The first video below is a very common way of making it with (relatively) common ingredients and I'm sure it would be excellent, but the second video is the super-authentic way of making it with several ingredients that 99.999% of char siu recipes don't call for. Either way, I'm sure they are both really good. I think I'll try my hand at making the first one at some point and then perhaps graduate to making super-authentic recipe in the second video. This may not be for everyone, because not every ingredient will be available in all grocery stores, but if you are curious and adventurous enough to try it, everything can all be ordered online. Regardless, I thought I'd post it here anyway. :)

The typical, simple way of making it (ingredients list and proportions at the end of the video):

The super-authentic recipe:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  2. Jul 12, 2019 #22

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

I also want to try this too. :D

3. Jul 21, 2019 at 2:04 AM #23

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

HUGEisElegant

I don't know what this is used for...on biscuits? On toast? On ice cream? For drinking??? lol Whatever the case, this looks good! o_O

tumblr_oqbqfxhUnk1v6fwzbo2_500.png

Funtastic curves likes this.