What book are you reading right now?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

Edens_heel

I see lots of people walking around with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, anyone read that group of books yet?

I have a long flight on Monday and was thinking about picking one up for the trip.
See my above post - they're a great deal of fun.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I see lots of people walking around with The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo, anyone read that group of books yet?

I have a long flight on Monday and was thinking about picking one up for the trip.
I read the first one and have the second sitting on my shelf waiting to be read. (i haven't read a regular book since getting my nook a month ago)
I enjoyed the book but it took me a good 200 pages to really get into it. But by then i was hooked. It's a long read at well over 500 pages too. And like Edens said, the character Lisbeth was a fun read. I am looking forward to getting to know her better in the second book. (there are others in line before this one)

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
I haven't been able to get to my reading much lately but i just finished Ken Follett's "The Pillars of the Earth" which was pretty good.

I'm moving on to "The Historian" by Elizbeth Kostova

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
Based on an earlier post I attempted to try to rekindle my adolescent man-love for John Irving.

I a reading "Until I Find You".

My review: A bad case of logorrhea.

I'll finish all 800 pages of this monster--I might even cry--but the tears will be shed for time lost

LovelyLiz

Based on an earlier post I attempted to try to rekindle my adolescent man-love for John Irving.

I a reading "Until I Find You".

My review: A bad case of logorrhea.

I'll finish all 800 pages of this monster--I might even cry--but the tears will be shed for time lost
As one of the several posters gushing about John Irving, my apologies.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I'm reading Guilty Pleasures. I had heard of the Anita Blake series and thought i'd give it a shot. It's okay. I'm a sucker for a mystery.
I should finish it today. Then i'm going to try my hand at some Sherlock Holmes. I bought a collection of his stories and want to read it.
I have been a voracious reader this summer, averaging 4 books a week!

Boris_the_Spider

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle. Not a happy book, but an absolutely brilliant one. Doyle is one of my favourite authors and I've read this particular one three or four times before. It is an excellent work.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
As one of the several posters gushing about John Irving, my apologies.
No apologies needed.

However, it reads like one of those very special episodes of Happy Days where the cast sat around and thought about the good old days when Fonzie jumped the shark. You know, the episodes where nothing happened; just a sketch of a story and a bunch of old clips to stretch it out.

That’s “Until I Find You”; a collection of Irving’s greatest hits mish-mashed together for no discernable purpose. I haven’t made up my mind if Irving is lazy, a perfectionist, or just trying to work out some formative events.

Regardless, I will finish the novel. I’ve read a couple of reviews that indicate that there is a twist in the last 400 pages of the novel that justifies the plodding first half. Never know I might do a 180.

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
I read the first one and have the second sitting on my shelf waiting to be read.
I enjoyed the book but it took me a good 200 pages to really get into it. But by then i was hooked. It's a long read at well over 500 pages too. And like Edens said, the character Lisbeth was a fun read. I am looking forward to getting to know her better in the second book. (there are others in line before this one)
Wow..i just couldn't get into it..tried..perhaps I need to give it a 2nd shot..or listen to it as book on tape...i really enjoy that..I am listening to *THE HOST* right now by stephanie meyers in my car...while reading Nora Roberts. *BLACK HILLS*...a good inviting book. that i jumped right into...and good escape for me :p

Also just treated myself to Charlaine Harris 8 book collection for some good reading, as so many on DIMS have said the books ROCK...just don't know when I will get to them LOL

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
ya know, i don't usually read or care for Vampire stuff...but this is a combination of the actual history of Vlad the Impaler mixed with the Dracula myth so it's pretty interesting. But.......... everytime they say Dracula, i can't help but think of Count Chockula..and it's totally ruining the book for me lol

I'm moving on to "The Historian" by Elizbeth Kostova

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
Just finished The Historian which was a pretty good book if you don't get bogged down in all the details.

Moving on to The Stonewycke Trilogy by Michael Phillips and Judith Pella

Carrie

The Woman Who Walked Into Doors by Roddy Doyle. Not a happy book, but an absolutely brilliant one. Doyle is one of my favourite authors and I've read this particular one three or four times before. It is an excellent work.
He's one of my favorites, too! This has been on my "must-read" list for a while; time to bump it up, I think. :)

thirtiesgirl

frumious bandersnatch
I just finished Drood by Dan Simmons, a fictional re-telling of the last 5 years of Charles Dickens' life, during which he worked on his unfinished novel, The Mystery of Edwin Drood. Now I've just started Sarah Waters' The Little Stranger, which I'm enjoying so far. A ghost story about an old Victorian mansion, set in post-war 1940s England? I'm in. I wasn't a big fan of her previous novel, The Night Watch, but I love her Victorian, slightly Dickensian earlier stuff like Fingersmith and Affinity.

Last edited by a moderator:

mejix

meh
finished never let me go by kazuo ishiguro. moves from absolutely brilliant to great and then collapses into dude what the hell? the basic premise is just soooo sad. soooooooooo sad.

finished lady chatterley's lover. weird. a novel of ideas but with good sex scenes. sweeping generalizations a la robert bly. orgasms are called 'crisis'.

halfway through disgrace by coetzee. not the type of novel i was wanting to read but i'm enjoying it.

started fathers and sons. nothing like characters making their entrance in xix century russian novel.

Edens_heel

In the past week:

Finished The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest - excellent ending to the series, and far better than the second book (which frustrated me in terms of how it was structured). Amazing final courtroom scenes.

Read Extra Lives, by Tom Bissell, which should be required reading for anyone who has grown up a gamer.

The Big Sleep, by Raymond Chandler - because everyone needs a little noir now and then.

Memory Wall, by Anthony Doerr - six interconnected short stories dealing with memory and the tangibility or fragility of it. Beautiful and heartwarming.

And just started Ryu Murakami's Audition - hoping to hell it's not as disturbing to watch as the Miike film.

fatgirlflyin

needs a vacation
I finished the Girl with the Dragon Tattoo a few days ago. Pretty good book, the first part was kinda hard to get into because it dealt with a lot of financial stuff that I know zip about and some of the words throughout the book I didn't know how to pronounce (so I just winged it and made up my own way of saying them). I will probably buy the second and third one on payday to finish reading the story.

Latest posts