What book are you reading right now?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

largenlovely

Still a Fat Girl lol
DimensionsModel
oh that's good news :) i'm only in the 3rd chapter so far so just barely getting into it but i'm looking forward to delving in deeper since it has a good review :)

Pillars of the Earth is a good read, a sort of sweeping epic novel. I read 3 or 4 Follett books several years ago, and I thought it was the best of them by a fair amount.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I just picked up John Irving's "Widow For One Year". I love his work. I haven't read any of his stuff for years. I still love "The World According to Garp".

Carrie

On Sunday I enjoyed one of those rare, deliciously self-indulgent days where you just take a break from everything and settle into a comfy spot with a good book all day. I read "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo", by Stieg Larsson, which was excellent. I don't know that I've ever had another book where so many people recommended it to me not just as a great book, but something that I specifically would enjoy, and they were spot-on. The story was intricate and well-paced, the characters compelling, and I really don't know much about Sweden at all, so it was very interesting to read a book set there. Lisbeth is a neat character - you love her and hate her and understand her and want to protect and smack her all in one fell swoop. It's no mean feat to write a character as messy and complicated and unlovely as she is and have the reader fall in love with her anyway.

I'm looking forward to reading the next two books in the series; I already have "The Girl who Played with Fire". Very sad about Stieg Larsson; I would have liked to have read a lot more from him. :(

LovelyLiz

I just picked up John Irving's "Widow For One Year". I love his work. I haven't read any of his stuff for years. I still love "The World According to Garp".
I ADORE John Irving. I went through a phase where I read like 5 of his books in a row. A Prayer for Owen Meany continues to be one of my favorite books of all time.

Tiguan

I Only read The Bible.

As far as I am concerned.. it is the Only Book.

I TRIED to read a few in High School, and read some in Jail...

... and along with playing Chess that is where it will Stay.

You all just brought back some Memories. I will pay Homage to these Memories...

cinnamitch

nope
Storm Chaser : In Pursuit of Untamed Skies
by Warren Faidley
I love to read about Tornadoes and thought this one looked interesting

Edens_heel

I Only read The Bible.

As far as I am concerned.. it is the Only Book.
This is just a horribly criminal thing to say - how can you ever expect to understand even a fraction of the world and universe beyond by only reading one book?

Even as a religious text, it will not give you all you should know - not on its own. It's a fraction, a tiny part of the library of man, and only one of many, all valid religious perspectives. Pick up the Quo'ran, the Torah, the Tibetan Book of the Dead, etc. Learn to see the bible in a more complete light by reading its counterpoints and divergent arguments.

I read what you posted and it just made me sad. I hope your perspective changes dramatically some day - for yourself.

Edens_heel

Taking a break from a recent short story binge and am back to finishing off the Murakami books yet to be read - right now working through, and loving, Norwegian Wood.

Also STILL working my way through Mein Kampf. Soared past the halfway point, but I just can't read it for more than a day at a time before feeling ill at what I've read.

Scary how much of the rhetoric is taken verbatim from the book today though by a certain blonde, pudgy, cry-on-command television show host.

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I ADORE John Irving. I went through a phase where I read like 5 of his books in a row. A Prayer for Owen Meany continues to be one of my favorite books of all time.
I do too. I went through that period a long time ago and got everything of his and read it...and then sort of forgot about him for a while. I've never read this and I'm up to page 68 so far and it's pretty good. Little too much sexual stuff for my taste, but the other parts redeem it.

One of the characters is children's author and this is an excerpt of one of his children's stories. I love it.

(From A Widow for One Year, by John Irving)

The door in the floor

There was a little boy who didn't know if he wanted to be born. His mommy didn't know if she wanted him to be born, either. This is because they lived in a cabin in the woods, on an island, in a lake - and there was no one else around. And, in the cabin, there was a door in the floor.

The little boy was afraid of what was under the door in the floor, and the mommy was afraid, too. Once, long ago, other children had come to visit the cabin for Christmas, but the children had opened the door in the floor and they had disappeared down the hole, under the cabin, and all their presents had disappeared, too.

Once the mommy had tried to look for the children, but when she opened the door in the floor, she heard such an awful sound that her hair turned completely white, like the hair of a ghost. And she smelled such a terrible smell that her skin became as wrinkled as a raisin. It took a whole year for the mommy's skin to be smooth again, and for her hair not to be white. And when she'd opened the door in the floor, the mommy had also seen some horrible things that she never wanted to see again, like a snake that could make itself so small that it could sneak through the crack between the door and the floor - even when the door was closed - and then it could make itself so big again that it could carry the cabin on its back, as if the snake were a giant snail and the cabin were its shell.

The other things under the door in the floor are so horrible that you can only imagine them.

And so the mommy wondered if she wanted to have a little boy in a cabin in the woods, on an island, in a lake - and with no one else around - but especially because of everything that might be under the door in the floor. Then she thought: Why not? I'll just tell him not to open the door in the floor!

Well, that's easy for a mommy to say, but what about the little boy? He still didn't know if he wanted to be born into a world where there was a door in the floor, and no one else around. Yet there were also some beautiful things in the woods, and on the island, and in the lake.

Why not take a chance? the little boy thought. And so he was born, and he was very happy. His mommy was happy again, too, although she told the little boy at least once ever day, "Don't you ever, not ever - never, never, never - open the door in the floor!" But of course he was only a little boy. If you were that boy, wouldn't you want to open that door in the floor?

And that, is the end of the story.

spiritangel

AmandaClause
I have been skipping all over the place with my reading of late actually stole two of my books back from my sisters house so am currently reading Jenny Crusie's Bet Me sexiest sceene with a Krispy Kreeme EVER lol

CastingPearls

Go Big Or Go Home
In Remembrance
I do too. I went through that period a long time ago and got everything of his and read it...and then sort of forgot about him for a while. I've never read this and I'm up to page 68 so far and it's pretty good. Little too much sexual stuff for my taste, but the other parts redeem it.

One of the characters is children's author and this is an excerpt of one of his children's stories. I love it.

(From A Widow for One Year, by John Irving)

The door in the floor

There was a little boy who didn't know if he wanted to be born. His mommy didn't know if she wanted him to be born, either. This is because they lived in a cabin in the woods, on an island, in a lake - and there was no one else around. And, in the cabin, there was a door in the floor.

The little boy was afraid of what was under the door in the floor, and the mommy was afraid, too. Once, long ago, other children had come to visit the cabin for Christmas, but the children had opened the door in the floor and they had disappeared down the hole, under the cabin, and all their presents had disappeared, too.

Once the mommy had tried to look for the children, but when she opened the door in the floor, she heard such an awful sound that her hair turned completely white, like the hair of a ghost. And she smelled such a terrible smell that her skin became as wrinkled as a raisin. It took a whole year for the mommy's skin to be smooth again, and for her hair not to be white. And when she'd opened the door in the floor, the mommy had also seen some horrible things that she never wanted to see again, like a snake that could make itself so small that it could sneak through the crack between the door and the floor - even when the door was closed - and then it could make itself so big again that it could carry the cabin on its back, as if the snake were a giant snail and the cabin were its shell.

The other things under the door in the floor are so horrible that you can only imagine them.

And so the mommy wondered if she wanted to have a little boy in a cabin in the woods, on an island, in a lake - and with no one else around - but especially because of everything that might be under the door in the floor. Then she thought: Why not? I'll just tell him not to open the door in the floor!

Well, that's easy for a mommy to say, but what about the little boy? He still didn't know if he wanted to be born into a world where there was a door in the floor, and no one else around. Yet there were also some beautiful things in the woods, and on the island, and in the lake.

Why not take a chance? the little boy thought. And so he was born, and he was very happy. His mommy was happy again, too, although she told the little boy at least once ever day, "Don't you ever, not ever - never, never, never - open the door in the floor!" But of course he was only a little boy. If you were that boy, wouldn't you want to open that door in the floor?

And that, is the end of the story.
I too adore Irving. A Prayer for Owen Meany was the first of many profoundly affecting books that I treasure.

pdgujer148

Breakfast Messiah
I too adore Irving. A Prayer for Owen Meany was the first of many profoundly affecting books that I treasure.
I haven't been much of a fan since "Son of the Circus", but I am a huge fan of "A Prayer for Owen Meany", and "The Cider House Rules". I think I've read the Christmas pageant sequence a few dozen times since the book came out.

I spoke briefly with him at a book reading for "A Widow for One Year". He was gracious if a little distant (which is understandable).

Lamia

Like OMG!!
I am now reading "Voyage of the Fox Rider" by Dennis L McKiernan. I love fantasy and he's one of my favorites.

HottiMegan

I'm a fat geek!
In Remembrance
I'm reading Last Writes by Laura Levine. I downloaded it to my nook last night and am only 50 pages from the end. Very quick read.
I think I've read at least 5 books this week. I'm looking forward to the 16th Stephanie Plum book to come out. I intend to download it at midnight :D
Once i finish Last Writes, i'm going to read Anne of Green Gables. Hoping to finish it before 16 comes out :)

CarlaSixx

Just Another Weirdo
Presently, I am reading a book titled "Get Me Out Of Here" by Rachel Reiland. It's a book about Borderline Personality Disorder (also highlighted in the movies "Girl, Interrupted") and it is something I am personally dealing with as well. It was reccommended to me by my doctors, and books about the same topic were reccommended to my mother by the doctors as well. It's a person's first hand account about what it's like through every stage of BPD. Through diagnosis, treatment, hospitalisation, and recovery. Great book and I can definitely see myself in it.

I don't particularly enjoy fiction all that much but I am reading one called "From The Embers" and I don't remember the author's name but it is a translated work. It's very interesting. It has two men reminiscing and fighting over life, love, and emotions. A rather emotionally mature book. Not much descriptive work. It's all about feeling rather than imagining the scenery.

superodalisque

rereading the Divine Comedy. i haven't touched it in ten years and this time i actually have the time to do side research while i read! excited!:D

HDANGEL15

GREATFUL
Just finished reading EAT PRAY Love, for the 2nd time, and enjoyed it just as much if not more this round. Started her newest book COMMITTED last nite, not that I can relate to the subject so well....but Figured I would try it.

Latest posts