What happened to Chat?

Dimensions Magazine

Help Support Dimensions Magazine:

danaley

Hello everyone,

I am not new to Dimensions. I originally was a member back in 04 or 05 and I noticed that the Chat room is gone...Is this correct? If so, do we know why?

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Technical issues. IIRC The person who owned the chat software stopped updating it, and had always held a lot of parts confidential, such that Conrad couldn't update it himself, and it stopped being compatible with new software--or something like that.

Conrad did try one other chat software more recently, however the implementation ended up being a lot more expensive than expected, so he took it back out. He has since sold the site to new owners, who so far have not looked at chat, so far as I know.

canadianbbw4u

I'd love it if they'd bring back a chat room. I keep my eyes open for it lol. I had tons of fun in the old room. I still talk to a few people. I have Yahoo still ahahhahahahaha but not many people on there anymore though.

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
I'd love it if they'd bring back a chat room. I keep my eyes open for it lol. I had tons of fun in the old room. I still talk to a few people. I have Yahoo still ahahhahahahaha but not many people on there anymore though.
Yes, in its prime the old Dims chat was SO much fun. I wish at the time I'd been more forceful in insisting with the software author NOT to tie the license to the hardware it ran on. Hardware changes all the time.

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
Agreed, I had a lot of fun in the old chat room. But old is right … the chat room was far from new when I came home from the hospital at 4:30am, after our son had been born, and logged in there just to be able to tell SOMEONE at that time of morning (and of course there were a few people in there). He’s now in his final year of high school :eek: It worked well, from a user perspective, but I wonder how it would feel in today’s web?

Webmaster

Chief Emeritus
https://www.facebook.com/conrad.blickenstorfer, Ma
Honestly, I think if that old type of chat ran in a neat, clean contemporary page setting, it could be as popular today as it was then. Truly streaming, real-time, personalized chat in a safe setting without ads and with real-time PMs and private rooms.... I don't think that'd ever be out of style. But believe me, before I left I was searching far and wide to find a suitable replacement, to no avail.

Xyantha Reborn

- Actually Very Tame!
What about a third party service like team speak? Dimensions could have its own teamspeak server, with It the ability to whitelist users, kick/ban as needed. You can voice chat or type in individual "rooms". I use that as an example as I am most familiar with it, but I am sure there are even better options than that.

Technologically speaking, more and more one soluion is incapable of offering everything people want/need. Or is cost/version/hardware prohibitive. Easily accessable solutions that are plug and play are the new go-to, especially those which have Apps.

mel

This is My year!..again:)
Yes, in its prime the old Dims chat was SO much fun. I wish at the time I'd been more forceful in insisting with the software author NOT to tie the license to the hardware it ran on. Hardware changes all the time.

It was soooooooooooooooooooooo fun!! :D

JerseyGirl07093

Stick a fork in me
Getting a bit off topic but...Tad how is it that your son is that old already?! I've seen you mention him over the years and I can't believe he's so grown. :)

CleverBomb

On Space Out
What about a third party service like team speak? Dimensions could have its own teamspeak server, with It the ability to whitelist users, kick/ban as needed. You can voice chat or type in individual "rooms". I use that as an example as I am most familiar with it, but I am sure there are even better options than that.

Technologically speaking, more and more one soluion is incapable of offering everything people want/need. Or is cost/version/hardware prohibitive. Easily accessable solutions that are plug and play are the new go-to, especially those which have Apps.
Nice idea, but there's a question of rights and privacy. We (as users, not the site management itself) did try one service whose name eludes me at the moment that worked fairly well but whose terms of service gave them the rights to reuse any text or video transmitted over their service... The original Dims Chat was owned and hosted on Conrad's server so that wasn't an issue.

Tiffany08

They should bring chat back I miss chatting in the Chatroom Met a few folks from that exact chatroom.

BigBeautifulMe

That was a heart.
I was going to say the same. Congrats on your recent wedding, Donna. :)

I owe my marriage to Dims Chat! :D

Tad

Dimensions' loiterer
There were at least a few couples who met there -- I'm seeing some of the same starting to happen at Feabie. Anywhere that people can mingle and interact casually, people will find others they hit it off with, be it friends or something more romantic.